My last JB was for a 2g about a year ago. I'm still using 3.0 firmware and if I recall I JB'd using Redsnow (not sure what version). Needless to say I've been out of the scene for a bit and need to catch up.

I just got a 3G and have a couple questions:
    • what is the latest supported firmware for 3G; looks like 4.0.1 or is that only for iPhone 4?
    • what is the recommended Jailbreak app these days? Also need to unlock...
    • is MMS supported on the 3G or do I need to install another app (details please)?
    • So far I've gathered the easiest tool is jailbreakme.com. Does this have the majority vote or will I be better off using a PC app like Blackra1n or Redsnow ("older" apps I'm sure, but I don't know how far the scene has progressed)?
    • I also need to unlock, will jailbreakme unlock also or do I need to run it through a second app?
    • what's up with Blackra1n these days? IIR that did it all (JB and unlock). Any votes on that?

Thanks!
    Last edited by MinimusMaximus; 2010-08-05 at 11:07 AM.
    2010-08-05 10:43 AM
    • what is the latest supported firmware for 3G; looks like 4.0.1 or is that only for iPhone 4?
    • what is the recommended Jailbreak app these days? Also need to unlock...
    • is MMS supported on the 3G or do I need to install another app (details please)?
    • So far I've gathered the easiest tool is jailbreakme.com. Does this have the majority vote or will I be better off using a PC app like Blackra1n or Redsnow ("older" apps I'm sure, but I don't know how far the scene has progressed)?
    • I also need to unlock, will jailbreakme unlock also or do I need to run it through a second app?
    • what's up with Blackra1n these days? IIR that did it all (JB and unlock). Any votes on that?

Thanks!
    1. The 3G supports up to 4.0.1 but it very slow on 4.0+. I suggest if you do upgrade dont go further than 3.1.3.
    2. For 3G you can JB with Redsn0w or JailbreakMe.com - Redsn0w is a bit more complete in that it allows verbose boot, custom boot logo etc.
    3. AFAIK MMS on 3G is supported out of the box.
    4. Up to you really, see number 2.
    5. No, you need to install Ultrasn0w to unlock.
    6. Blackra1n could do that provided your BB was 5.11.07 or less if IIRC.
    2010-08-05 12:48 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD