Ok I had a 3gs unlocked on the 4.0 firmware. The backlight went out on me so I had to update the phone to 4.0.1 in order to take it back to the store so they could fix it.

They fixed the screen, everything looks good. However, when I go to jailbreakme, it says "this may take a while", loads all the way, and then just goes back to the home screen. Im puzzled because last time it worked first try. Do I need to go back to 4.0 because I am not sure if my SHSH files were saved? I had cydia on 4.0 but did I need to save them or do they do that automatically?

I'm in a bind, any help would be appreciated.
    2010-08-08 11:22 PM
    Restart your iPhone and try again.
    2010-08-08 11:38 PM
    Restart your iPhone and try again.
    i tried. still didnt work. The progress bar completely finishes and then it just exits safari and goes back to main screen. This is weird.
    2010-08-08 11:52 PM
    i tried. still didnt work. The progress bar completely finishes and then it just exits safari and goes back to main screen. This is weird.
    I also am having a problem with Iphone 4 jailbroken with jailbreakme.com with it randomly rebooting and it is at 4.0.1 and would like a step by step on downgrading to 4.0!

Like which itunes to use and what to set the ect host file to read and so fourth!
    2010-08-09 12:18 AM
    try closing all open tabs for safari, then go into settings and clear the cache, reboot again and try it one more time.
    2010-08-09 12:21 AM
    I also am having a problem with Iphone 4 jailbroken with jailbreakme.com with it randomly rebooting and it is at 4.0.1 and would like a step by step on downgrading to 4.0!

Like which itunes to use and what to set the ect host file to read and so fourth!
    well I just restored my phone and now its at the emergency calls only. Anyone know if I can restore it back or will I have to get a valid sim?
    2010-08-09 12:22 AM
    Google caching shsh to sauriks server and the topmresult will be sauriks site with instructions on how to do it. I've learned though that a simple restore to 4.0.1 will fix the issue, just jb the phone before setting anything up on it.
    2010-08-09 12:23 AM
    You'll have to get a valid sim. Sorry dude lol.

You could alway get a cheap prepid phone.
    Last edited by PWNsyst3m; 2010-08-09 at 12:24 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    2010-08-09 12:24 AM
    Can I use my friends sim who is on AT%T?
    2010-08-09 01:00 AM
    Yup.
    2010-08-09 01:27 AM
    Google caching shsh to sauriks server and the topmresult will be sauriks site with instructions on how to do it. I've learned though that a simple restore to 4.0.1 will fix the issue, just jb the phone before setting anything up on it.
    I did that and still the same problem!

Had no problems stock then jailbreak had problems then restored and left for 24 hours no problem, jailbroke again and still have the rebooting problem!
    2010-08-09 01:40 AM
    i am thinking about just buying like a prepaid phone with at&t and then use the sim. Anyone know off hand how much it might cost?
    2010-08-09 04:34 AM
    You'll have to get a valid sim. Sorry dude lol.

You could alway get a cheap prepid phone.
    Not true. I got my friends 3gs and no sim in it and I connected wifi and it failed the first time, went to homescreen. Rebooted and jailbreakme worked the second time. I did all of this without a sim. I also had my old sim from my 3gs that I sold for the iphone 4 so the old sim is inactive and it worked using the sim that was shutoff. all you need is wifi
    2010-08-09 04:54 AM
    I think he meant you still need the official carrier's SIM. you dont need an ACTIVE SIM but you do need an official SIM. you cant get past the emergency call screen without that SIM to activate first to get to the springboard.
    2010-08-09 07:23 AM
    I tried my friends sim yesterday and it still didnt work. He has a non iphone phone phone from AT&T and nothing happened when I stuck the sim in.

Do I need to do something in iTunes after I put the sim in?

Restored my phone, then reactivated it. Cleared history. Then jailbroke the phone. It worked.

Just wanted to update for other users.
    Last edited by bkortee; 2010-08-10 at 05:44 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    2010-08-10 05:44 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD