User Tag List

Hello folks, just curious on your thoughts... I have a 16g 3GS that you wonderfully people helped me to hack, jailbreak, and then unlock using PwnageTool on version 3.1.2.

I now want to update to OS4 because so many apps now require it. Only issue is, I'm not sure what the best method for me is. I really like the outcome of Pwnage Tool (damn near perfect in my limited experience), buuuut I don't have a mac in this country--my mac is in the States. It would be really easy to simply update to OS4 using itunes, then use Jailbreakme.com to make the phone usable here in Africa, but is that stupid?? It just seems too easy, you know what I mean?

Now this may be a situation of my reading myself into a confused stupor, but I think that once you up to an official / non-custom ipsw then I can never go back right? Something about bootrom or baseband... I also read that jaibreakme uses an easily fixed flaw in safari/adobe in the iPhone, so apple can easily repair that later; whereas Pawnage exploits in a 'better' way that I'm not savvy enough to really understand... So is it crazy to now just use jailbreakme since I've preserved bootrom/baseband for all of these years via Pawnage?? And are there any negative effects to jailbreakme like there was with blackra1n? (I also have a 32g 3GS that I opted to use BlackRa1n on, but that I'm not too happy with because I have loads of drop call and wifi issues...)

If you all tell me to stick with Pwnage Tool, then I'll need to figure out how to work with a mac in an African developing country with no Apple Store and very few people who use apple computers... (I'm currently living abroad.)

Thanks in advance! Any insight would be greatly appreciated.
    2010-08-11 01:24 PM
    PwnageTool would be a better upgrade method due to the mentioned fact that one you upgrade to stock iOS4 the 24kpwn exploit is closed (albeit not completely) meaning you could not restore to a pwned FW from stock.

However you can work around this in numerous ways. Install iOS4, run JBM then install spirit2pwn_r3 (for old bootrom on iOS4) when you needed to use a pwned FW. However JBM will need an activated phone and wifi connection to work (do you have access to wifi and an official SIM where you are?).

Or you could try to find a MAC (or VMWare on a PC) and pwn a custom 4.0 and then upgrade to that to stay on the 'custom train'.
    2010-08-11 02:00 PM
    I have had no problems with jailbreakme.com and it seems to work better and the phone is faster than previous jailbreaks. Also as long as you have your shsh backed up you can downgrade to what ever firmware you have your shsh's for. So I recommend jailbreakme.com.
    2010-08-11 02:10 PM
    @ Will01

Okay, so I'm not crazy... Every time that I've voiced my concerns about potentially stepping off the 'custom train', no one seemed to understand.

But you are saying that I can update to OS4 via itunes, run JBM, then later use sprint2pwn_r3 if I ever want to use Pawnage tool again? I still have my ATT sim card here, I just opt not to use it since I have a African sim card with muuuuch better rates. And my office has wifi. Very few people here use apple/mac because the embassy basically force-feeds you windows. lol

Tell me more about this VMware? I googled it, and all I see if how to run windows stuff on a mac--not the other way around. Could you link (or PM a link) to what I need? Honestly, I'd be much more comfortable with Pawnage tool, but JBM would simply my world.

Are there any real issues with JBM? Every time that I read someone has a problem, 50 people jump on them that they don't experience the problem. And then I read somewhere that I'll loose my backup or something. Not really sure.

THANKS!

@ Brandon Neft

...both Cydia and Rock tell me to save SHSH files, not that I have any idea what that really means. When I load Cydia, it tells me that my device has SHSHs for 3.1, 3.1.2, 3.1.3, 4.0, & 4.0.1 I have no clue how I would retrieve those files, nor what I would do with them when retrieved to restore. lol I just know that both Jay/Saurik and Dev-Team told me to do it! And that was good enough for me.

What other jailbreaks did you use?
    Last edited by thunderhawki; 2010-08-11 at 02:30 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    2010-08-11 02:30 PM
    Since you don't have a Mac you could download a custom 4.0 or 4.0.1 created by pwnage tool.
    2010-08-11 02:32 PM
    @ jkmonkey

In the past, I thought that Dev-Team advised against randomly downloading those as some folks were creating flawed ISPWs just for the hell of it...? If there is a site that lists verified pawned firmware, that would make things really simply. Any ideas??

EDIT: I found a couple pages where folks list what I guess I need (Activated, 831MB Root (Minimum Allowed), Stock Logos, Baseband Preserved created with official Dev-Team PwnageTool 4.0) loads of folks saying that it worked. This is safe, right? lol
    Last edited by thunderhawki; 2010-08-11 at 02:59 PM.
    2010-08-11 02:47 PM
    I used a custom 4.0 from crispy tech without any issues. Certainlly I would be cautious about where the fw is coming from.

I just pm'd you two known good ones
    Last edited by jkmonkey; 2010-08-11 at 03:15 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    2010-08-11 03:15 PM
    Are there any real issues with activated versus unactivated when it comes to these files? I'm not sacrificing anything by downloading an already activated file even when I have an ATT sim card stashed away for safekeeping, right?
    2010-08-11 03:26 PM
    Okay, so I'm not crazy... Every time that I've voiced my concerns about potentially stepping off the 'custom train', no one seemed to understand.
    Definately important, to upload a custom FW you need to be Pwned, Spirit2Pwn mimic's this in a way and it confuses the phone into accepting a custom FW, allowing a userland JB to accept a custom FW, giving you more potential options in the future, already Pwned avoid's this and you can simply go from one Pwned FW to the next.

But you are saying that I can update to OS4 via itunes, run JBM, then later use sprint2pwn_r3 if I ever want to use Pawnage tool again? I still have my ATT sim card here, I just opt not to use it since I have a African sim card with muuuuch better rates. And my office has wifi. Very few people here use apple/mac because the embassy basically force-feeds you windows. lol
    Yep, precisely

Tell me more about this VMware? I googled it, and all I see if how to run windows stuff on a mac--not the other way around. Could you link (or PM a link) to what I need? Honestly, I'd be much more comfortable with Pawnage tool, but JBM would simply my world.
    VMWare workstation is the one your after, it's for windows. It allows your window's station to virtualise so MAC OSX will boot from inside windows. It save's all the bios tomfoolery of a hackint0sh with only a few drawbacks. I use it for XCode and Pwnage tool and it does it's job fine with minimal fuss

Are there any real issues with JBM? Every time that I read someone has a problem, 50 people jump on them that they don't experience the problem. And then I read somewhere that I'll loose my backup or something. Not really sure.
    All I can go on is that 'most' people say it works fine. I have never used it (altho I did use spirit, comex's 3.1.3 rendition and it was very stable )

Are there any real issues with activated versus unactivated when it comes to these files? I'm not sacrificing anything by downloading an already activated file even when I have an ATT sim card stashed away for safekeeping, right?
    Not sacrificing anything no, it just doesnt need to be activated after a restore. I go with unactivated as i'm on an official carrier and it's a habit now.
    2010-08-11 03:54 PM
    ALSO, I've read rumblings that some people have had issues restoring a custom... Something about them needing to create a new device name?? Any definitive word on this, as I have not yet isolated the truth of if this is a general requirement or if this is a requirement only when someone has done [blah].
    2010-08-11 03:57 PM
    Never heard or seen that in my life.
    2010-08-11 04:04 PM
    As Will said, the only difference between the two is that an activated one will bypass the emergency call screen for you, so no need for sim swapping. Although it is a GOOD thing that you have an AT&T one stashed away .
    I haven't had any issues where I need to select a new device name. Unless of course I choose the "set up as a new phone" option instead of "restore from backup", but that's a given.
    2010-08-11 04:05 PM
    Not sacrificing anything no, it just doesnt need to be activated after a restore. I go with unactivated as i'm on an official carrier and it's a habit now.
    I only asked this because I have always activated myself. But if I don't need to go locate that sim card, then..... lol

Thanks, and I will def look into the VMWare Workstation. I like to be hands on so that I really learn AND have more options.

Never heard or seen that in my life.
    Yea, a couple people where complaining about this issue other places. Best as I can tell, they originally jailbroke with less stable methods. When they then went to OS4, the device wasn't as responsive and had battery issues.

The resulting fix amounted to their losing personalization (contacts, texts, email, etc) --which would be hell for me.
    Last edited by thunderhawki; 2010-08-11 at 04:13 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    2010-08-11 04:13 PM
    Hmm, personally i've never had such issues, but I would consider myself fairly tech savvy so I wouldn't be editing files without knowing what I was doing or installing dodgy apps.

Anything is possible on a JB device theoretically, as you can access the devices internal file system and poke around. But I would be surprised if something like that happened without some sort of plist editting.
    2010-08-11 04:16 PM
    I haven't had any issues where I need to select a new device name. Unless of course I choose the "set up as a new phone" option instead of "restore from backup", but that's a given.
    Seemingly, these folks HAD to set up as a new phone. Anyway, I hope that I wont have that issue. I do know that I was a lil worried with my non-modified iPod Touch, as when I updated to OS4 it refused to let me restore. I had to set up a new device, and it really made me angry. I would be driven insane if that happened with my iPhone--like, "Hulk Smash", Godzilla rampaging down the street style of insane.
    2010-08-11 04:19 PM
    Ahhhh, yeah setting up as a new phone does have you select a new device name. My contacts and email are synced to outlook so those get put back even if I do set it up as a new phone. Before I do decide to set up as a new phone I back up all my pics so they can get synced back afterwards, and I ssh into the phone and pull the sms.db file. The sms.db can be put back afterwards to restore text messages.
    2010-08-11 04:26 PM
    Hmm, personally i've never had such issues, but I would consider myself fairly tech savvy so I wouldn't be editing files without knowing what I was doing or installing dodgy apps.

Anything is possible on a JB device theoretically, as you can access the devices internal file system and poke around. But I would be surprised if something like that happened without some sort of plist editting.
    Great to know. I'm sorta a sponge when it comes to information, so I'm always reading articles and posts. I usually don't have comprehension issues, but it just seemed so odd that everyone was like "just go to JBM". lol And when I voiced issue on other (non-specialized) forums, no one seemed to see a problem.

I'm not tech-dumb, but I do know when I need to ask questions. Most people in my circles actually refer to me as a resource, but I have no problem seeing my limitations.
    2010-08-11 04:27 PM
    it's in var/mobile/library/sms/sms.db if you wanted to grab that before you do the restore, just to be on the safe side

Great to know. I'm sorta a sponge when it comes to information, so I'm always reading articles and posts. I usually don't have comprehension issues, but it just seemed so odd that everyone was like "just go to JBM". lol And when I voiced issue on other (non-specialized) forums, no one seemed to see a problem.

I'm not tech-dumb, but I do know when I need to ask questions. Most people in my circles actually refer to me as a resource, but I have no problem seeing my limitations.
    I think that's a very good quality. It's always best to ask questions if your unsure at all. Otherwise you may end up sorry. Personally I also would rather keep using a custom fw rather than jailbreakme. Don't get me wrong there's absolutley nothing wrong with jailbreakme, but custom fw gives you more options.

If a phone has the ability to load a custom fw(not all do)then I would go that way, otherwise I would just use jailbreakme. Can't beat how easy it is to use . I've done it on several phones and ipods for friends.
    Last edited by jkmonkey; 2010-08-11 at 04:37 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    2010-08-11 04:36 PM
    it's in var/mobile/library/sms/sms.db if you wanted to grab that before you do the restore, just to be on the safe side

I think that's a very good quality. It's always best to ask questions if your unsure at all. Otherwise you may end up sorry. Personally I also would rather keep using a custom fw rather than jailbreakme. Don't get me wrong there's absolutley nothing wrong with jailbreakme, but custom fw gives you more options.

If a phone has the ability to load a custom fw(not all do)then I would go that way, otherwise I would just use jailbreakme. Can't beat how easy it is to use . I've done it on several phones and ipods for friends.
    Yea, I have used JBM on a friend's iPhone 4 without any issue... But I know him well enough to understand that he would want the easy route. I like having options.

Internet is crazy slow here, so I will be finished downloading the first part in about 2 hours. lol When I've got them all downloaded, I'll try it out and report back. I'll also see if I can find the sms.db --just in case. I'm not too concerned about my various email clients, as I can easily set those up again. I THINK my contact list saves to outlook or something.
    2010-08-11 04:53 PM
    Yea, everything worked out well! I did copy the sms.db just in case, but it ended up being a non-issue.

Only thing that I noticed was that itunes is now refusing to restore my "special" apps, which sucks. Also a few jailbroken apps from Rock and Cydia wont restore, but that's because I didn't research what wasn't compatible (MyWi & mxTub just to name a few).

But other than that, everything is working great! Thanks soooo much!
    Last edited by thunderhawki; 2010-08-12 at 06:10 PM. Reason: didn't know we were not supposed to talk about "special" apps... oops
    2010-08-12 06:05 PM
30 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD