i just saved my blobs.... cool stuff. so i gather, unless i want 4.2 update, i lose my JB. but that would just be insane.... so ill stick with what i got.

how do i disable itunes to not check for updates automatically? now i fear going into itunes.

i also read somewhere that synching will also update and i dont want that either.

sorry for the questions, thanks for your reply.
    2010-08-12 09:17 AM
    not sure if you can disable checking for updates as I have never looked nor tried, syncing will not update your phone
    2010-08-12 09:24 AM
    so j3st3r3, do you just avoid the "update" button when you are in itunes? is that SOP?
    2010-08-12 09:28 AM
    when I open iTunes and it tells me there is an update available I just decline the update
    2010-08-12 09:35 AM
    another forum member has posted that he as been able to downgrade his iphone from 4.02 to 4.01 by downloading the 4.01.ipsw file and doing a restore in itunes by holding the shift key and selecting restore and then selecting the ipsw file you could try this go to the download section on this website and download the 4.01.ipsw for your phone and try a restore using this file
    2010-08-12 11:30 AM
    Apple stop signing 4.0.1 in different countries at different times. All you can do is try. If you get the device isn't eligible and dont have SHSH saved, your stuck.
    2010-08-12 12:32 PM
    Yeah which sucks because they stoped sign most old firmwares
    around AUS and NZ lately.

Well has anyone try'd with JailbreakMe?
    Doesn't that just Download it?
    So maybe? I don't know really...
    2010-08-12 12:44 PM
    wow didnt it just come out today? im amazed at how quickly noobs can find ways to lock themselves out of a jb then cry about when the new one is coming out, then do that for the next release, and the next

learn to back up your shsh people!

(not saying the op did that, just saying)
    I upgraded yesterday via iTunes and got stuck with 4.0.2 even though iTunes showed "newer firmware" as 4.0.1 when I accepted the upgrade. So maybe he was just unlucky (like me).

Luckily for me I've had all my blobs, etc saved and was able to restore back to 3.1.2.
    2010-08-12 12:58 PM
    What is ipsw and how do u find it and download it??

I think Apple are still signing 4.0.1 so you might want to try and downloading the ipsw then clicking shift+restore in itunes and pointing to 4.0.1 ipsw and see if that works

How do u find it and download it??
    Last edited by Dee2626; 2010-08-12 at 01:11 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    2010-08-12 01:11 PM

Count exactly "4" posts above yours. The answer was there before you wrote your post.

Was trying to restore my phone(4)before the patch dropped. I read up on 4.0.2 first though(came across an article on Facebook).
    Sure nuff, when I went into itunes, hit the restore button, there was a big fat message stating 4.0.2 was a patch for pdf, etc. I promptly hit the cancel button.

Now, my questions are these:
    1. How exactly do how I back up SHSH?
    2. Once I back up my stuff, download the file mentioned in a few posts above, theoretically i should be able to restore and jailbreak again. Correct? Is there anything i'm missing that anyone can think of?
    The reason i'm looking to restore is because of a problem I have at the moment. And if anyone can help with my problem i'd appreciate the assistance.
    Last edited by TheTattooKid; 2010-08-12 at 02:41 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    2010-08-12 02:40 PM
    I guess you've been in the iPhone scene for a long time, saving the SHSH has been said like only a million times, you should have done it bro, at least you didn't require an unlock so your good. BTW check if you might have saved it, chances are you probably pressed the make my life easier button on 3.1.2 or 4.0 before, look into
    that if your not sure.

Hey I had pressed the make my life easier button in cydia but I don't know if anything saved. How do I check it out??
    2010-08-12 02:52 PM
    Where theirs a will theirs a way.. Some stores are going to be unlocking iPhones on 4.0.2 for a crazy price. And if it can never be unlocked again for a while which I highly doubt. Then I'm patient enough to wait for the next one. I love my iPhone 4 even without the jailbreak.
    Well, you did it twice, so it's obvious your High School English teacher failed you.

It's "there", not "their". Their is a personal pronoun.

And, you are clearly a "babe in the woods".... those stores that claim to be able to unlock 4.0.2 are frauds.
    2010-08-12 06:38 PM
    Well, you did it twice, so it's obvious your High School English teacher failed you.

It's "there", not "their". Their is a personal pronoun.

And, you are clearly a "babe in the woods".... those stores that claim to be able to unlock 4.0.2 are frauds.
    It was a typo u ***! I was smart enough to downgrade my phone back to where it should be. So go pick on someone else. If u don't have anything nice to say, then don't quote me.

another forum member has posted that he as been able to downgrade his iphone from 4.02 to 4.01 by downloading the 4.01.ipsw file and doing a restore in itunes by holding the shift key and selecting restore and then selecting the ipsw file you could try this go to the download section on this website and download the
    4.01.ipsw for your phone and
    try a restore using this
    file
    Thanks!!! That really worked!
    Last edited by Dee2626; 2010-08-12 at 06:52 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    2010-08-12 06:52 PM
    Its in the files section of this forum. I just did it and it worked! I was at 4.0.2 on a 3Gs and I just did a system restore with that file and it now shows 4.0.1.
    2010-08-12 07:34 PM
    I had jailbroken earlier this week using jailbreakme.com, did the Cydia thing to "make my life easier" although I have no idea what that was, was installing some weather icon app in Cydia last night and boom, respring into safe mode. Multiple reboots later, still only running in safe mode. I did the system restore via iTunes and now I'm on 4.0.2. Going to jailbreakme.com now says that there is no JB for this FW, gonna try downgrading to 4.0.1 and starting over, crossing my fingers here.

I have no idea what an SHSH is, or what good I did with the Cydia making my life easier thing, wish me luck!

UPDATE: I was able to restore back down to 4.0.1 from 4.0.2 Phone is completely virgin again, will have to sync and hope I get my stuff back when I get home tonight, I dunno, I hate iTunes with a passion as it's never been intuitive for me....at all.
    Last edited by slambo; 2010-08-12 at 10:05 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    2010-08-12 10:05 PM
    If you need to restore and dont want to upgrade, then restore "from backup".
    2010-08-12 10:56 PM
    I got the ipsw I think and I unrar it and it has .dmg files in it. I am getting the wrong file
    2010-08-13 12:06 AM
    you don't un-archive it, use either firefox, chrome, or opera to download it, not safari or Internet Explorer, leave it as an .ipsw file
    2010-08-13 02:50 AM
    An IPSW file is just a renamed ZIP file, and not all browsers know to download is as IPSW file. iTunes extracts the file for you, that's why when you restore it says extracting firmware. Firefox and Chrome are the best browsers, you should be using one of them
    2010-08-13 03:20 AM
    ok so i got the ispw i need but my question is that can i still try and downgrade if i didnt' save my blobs?
    2010-08-14 05:15 PM
51 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD