I have a new iPhone 4 and I'm looking to sell my 3GS. Before I sell it I want to upgrade it to 4.0.1, Jailbreak it, and unlock it.

The phone is still on 3.1.2 and when I open Cydia it says I have my SHSH files of; 3.0, 3.1, 3.1.2, 3.1.3, 4.0 and 4.0.1

How do I upgrade to 4.0.1 with the ability to still jailbreak with Jailbreakme.com and unlock it?

Related issue/question:
    I'd like to completely erase ALL my data on the phone before selling it. In settings, there's a few options like "Reset All Settings", "Erase All Content and Settings", etc...

If I reset everything using these options, will I still have the saved SHSH files on Cydia associated with my phone and still be able to upgrade and jailbreak 4.0.1?
    2010-08-14 09:58 AM
    im in the same situation too

i have tried upgrading to a custom 4.0.1
    and i keep getting an error(13)

i have my files saved which says the same as yours on cydia

i need the unlock too
    Last edited by stuartb04; 2010-08-14 at 02:02 PM. Reason: added text
    2010-08-14 02:01 PM
    I have a new iPhone 4 and I'm looking to sell my 3GS. Before I sell it I want to upgrade it to 4.0.1, Jailbreak it, and unlock it.

The phone is still on 3.1.2 and when I open Cydia it says I have my SHSH files of; 3.0, 3.1, 3.1.2, 3.1.3, 4.0 and 4.0.1

How do I upgrade to 4.0.1 with the ability to still jailbreak with Jailbreakme.com and unlock it?

Related issue/question:
    I'd like to completely erase ALL my data on the phone before selling it. In settings, there's a few options like "Reset All Settings", "Erase All Content and Settings", etc...

If I reset everything using these options, will I still have the saved SHSH files on Cydia associated with my phone and still be able to upgrade and jailbreak 4.0.1?
    first thing is in order for jailbreakme to work the phone will have to be activated, since you need an unlock you will have to make sure that you have a way to activate the phone (i.e. an official sim or phonebook sim) when you restore the firmware all your personal info will be erased, as for how to, download an official 4.0.1 ipsw and in iTunes hold down shift (pc) or option (Mac) while clicking restore and point it at the ipsw you downloaded (make sure your host file is edited to point at cydia, there are several posts on how to do this just use the search function)
    2010-08-14 09:01 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD