I am new to the JB. Now that I have many legit itunes apps and many JB apps, what should I do to back it all up in case of a problem? I dont want to screw up my JB down the road. I let Cydia, 'make my life easier' and I also used tinyumbrella to store my SHSH on my PC, so thats covered. I also installed Aptbackup and ran that. So is this correct -
    1. Run Aptbackup on phone
    2. in iTunes run a back up

If I had issues and needed to restore my phone what would I do? Would I just do a 'restore from back up' using the backup created in the steps above and reinstall Aptbackup to restore my JB apps? Or would that screw up my JB? Does the restore from backup put the JB and Cydia back on the phone? That is my main concern.

Just trying to make my life easier down the road!

Thanks!
    2010-08-14 05:25 PM
    For backups, iTunes is to Apple apps as Aptbackup/PKGBackup is to Cydia apps. What may be missing and depending upon each Cydia app, is the user data portion (if any). Not usually a big problem.

The real issues/problems come into play when setting up as a new phone and still wanting the user data. Both methods are less than ideal.
    2010-08-14 05:45 PM
    I understand the user data might be missing, but are the steps I described accurate and does the 'back up restore' restore the JB and Cydia?
    2010-08-14 06:05 PM
    ...does the 'back up restore' restore the JB and Cydia?
    No. iTunes restores only stock apps/data. JB'ing, restoring Cydia apps/data is always done later.
    2010-08-14 06:12 PM
    Right I knew that I just wasnt thinking. So two new questions from this discussion...

1. Is there a way to make an 'image' of your iphone to restore it as you can with a hardrive in a PC?
    2. Say my iPhone is screwed up. I saved the SHSH and such and I am a 3Gs at 4.0.1. What would I do to start over fresh and get it working again?

Thanks for all the comments!
    2010-08-14 06:45 PM
    .. Is there a way to make an 'image' of your iphone to restore it as you can with a hardrive in a PC?...
    With all the PC/Mac utilities doing this, it seems logical. BUT .. it doesn't work that way on iDevices (or nobody has figured it out). The very best you can get is a backup iPhone->Mac using rsycn. You end up with a 100% usable backup but it still can't be used for a image-style restore.

This being said ... anything is possible. Get those expert programming skills into high gear and make something usable for us jb'ers. We would all benefit greatly.
    2010-08-14 06:57 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD