anyone else hate itunes telling you there is a newer vesion of ios available, well to trick itunes into thinking your on the latest firmware without actually upgrading you can simply edit a .plist in the iphone/ipod touch system and make it think it is on 4.0.2 or any firmware version i guess

to do this you need to be jailbroken (kinda obvious really)
    openSSH + winSCP (Win)/cyberduck (OSX) or ifile

1) navigate to /System/Library/CoreServices
    2) there you should see a file called SystemVersion.plist
    3) open this file in ifile or your chosen plist editor
    4) find the lines
    <key>ProductBuildVersion</key>
    <string>XXXXX</string>

and

<key>ProductVersion</key>
    <string>XXX</string>

5) replace the values in these lines to the values of the firmware you want it to display and act as
    8A293 - 4.0
    8A306 - 4.0.1
    8A400 - 4.0.2

now save the changes and replace the file with the original (no need to if you used ifile)
    REBOOT FOR CHANGES TO TAKE FULL EFFECT - NOT RESPRING!
    now you wont be reminded by itunes to update (until the next firmware is released anyhow :P )
    this should work for all firmware versions

(IMPORTANT NOTE) ALWAYS MAKE A BACKUP OF A SYSTEM FILE BEFORE YOU GO MESSING AROUND WITH IT (IMPORTANT NOTE)

hope this guide is clear enough for everybody to understand
    2010-08-16 10:00 PM
    This is great but it's easy to stuff up if you don't reset the permissions correctly I had to do it 3 times because I kept getting N/A in /settings/about/version until I acually re-edited a copy of the original I saved.

Would be good to put a pic of the correct permissions in your very helpful post.
    I "DO NOT" use Windoze.
    2010-08-23 09:09 AM
    This also makes Cydia unistall some apps because that are not 4.0.2 compatible
    2010-08-23 10:05 AM
    Is this true? That'd be a *****.
    2010-08-24 05:09 PM
    So I downloaded Ifile But, when I try to make edits nothing will save. I get an error
    message saying it's unable to write the file. Can someone please help?
    2010-12-04 10:15 PM
    So, if you're thinking of trying this on a 2g, don't try it No serious damage, but it's a good thing the ssh server still started up
    I tried to tell my 2g that it had 4.0 firmware, and it booted right into safe mode. I was hoping maybe I could get the app store to let me install some newer apps. I know, I know, dumb idea and they aren't compatible... I just thought I'd give it a try.
    2012-01-05 10:56 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD