Okay, so here's the situation:

My daughter dropped her iPhone 3G a year or so ago. About five months ago, it finally stopped working. She took her SIM and put it in an old blackberry and has been surviving since.

I purchased a screen and home button, replaced all of it and turned the phone on. While it had some appearances of working, it was a stuck on the apple logo. I put it in recovery mode and began the recovery. That's when the 1603 error popped up in iTunes about mid-way through the restore.

I searched the web and found that iREB was supposed to be the solution. Unfortunately, iREB is no longer available for download and any "copies" that I found on various sites didn't seem to actually work or do anything.

Is there a way to get around the 1603 error without iREB?

I downgraded everything iTunes to 9.0.3 but that didn't help.

Any thoughts or help is appreciated.

Thanks,
    Chris
    2010-08-17 04:18 PM
    you can use tinyumbrella to kick it out of recovery mode if it is still stuck
    2010-08-18 05:13 AM
    you can use tinyumbrella to kick it out of recovery mode if it is still stuck
    Thanks for the thought. It does kick it out of the recovery mode, but that doesn't help much. It sits on the apple logo for forever. I still get the 1603 or 1604 error when I go back into recovery or DFU mode and try to restore.

I've upgraded and downgraded itunes, etc. It just constantly gets the 1603 error when trying to restore.

Any other thoughts appreciated.

This may be the wrong section for this thread.

Chris
    2010-08-19 01:03 PM
    Are you using a USB hub? Try another USB or better yet try another computer.
    2010-08-19 02:00 PM
    Are you using a USB hub? Try another USB or better yet try another computer.
    Tried multiple USB ports (no hubs) on multiple computers with multiple versions of iTunes.

Nothing seems to be helping, but I have confidence that there is a way. Luckily, this isn't critical and I can take time.

I kicked it out of recovery with tinyUmbrella and let it sit for the battery to drain. Will try again when I get home from work.

Any other thoughts are continuously welcome.

Thanks,
    Chris
    2010-08-19 02:34 PM
    Is there any software that could be stopping the restore (ie. Wi-Fi Sync)?

What firmware are you trying to restore to?
    2010-08-19 10:30 PM
    Is there any software that could be stopping the restore (ie. Wi-Fi Sync)?

What firmware are you trying to restore to?
    I turned off the virus sw and firewall along with all the other stuff apple said to do.

I was hoping there was a replacement for iREB... or someone out there who has it who wants to email it to me

Chris
    2010-08-20 01:33 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD