User Tag List

I have a jailbroken iPhone 3G running 3.0.1 (7A341), model MB705LL, modem firmware 04.26.08. It is jailbroken with redsn0w-win_0.8.

I have MMS and internet tethering enabled by using the ATT_US_STEALTH.ipcc profile loaded onto my phone. This allows me to just use a USB sync cable to have access on my laptop. I like this and don't use it much, but it saves me when my internet goes down or at the cabin.

Anyway, I have several questions upgrading this and jailbreaking.

From what I understand, 3.0.1 was the last upgrade I could make to the iPhone software before I lost unlockability and enabling internet tethering. I don't *need* my phone unlocked, but I am thinking of the future. Is this still valid where if I update the modem firmware I am screwed if I want to switch providers? Also, is there anyone who has internet tethering working or would I need to pay $10 to buy My-Wi?

Also, does ios4 slow down a 3g? And is it even worth it to upgrade? I heard the mail app is all integrated now. Any comments from someone who has gone down my journey?

Thanks!
    2010-08-20 11:14 PM
    I'd upgrade to 3.1.3 and stay there for now until Apple sorts out the 4.0 slowness on the 3G, you can still unlock.
    If I somehow helped you, press thanks
    2010-08-21 12:42 AM
    Yes, wait for Apple's update for the 3G. Also, all the latest basebands can be unlocked with ultrasn0w so don't worry.
    2010-08-21 02:34 AM
    Thanks for the quick advice guys. I did a little more research, and it appears with the upgrade to 3.1, the ability to use a different IPCC is restricted so internet tethering via USB will not work. I've seen a few claims that it does work, but many more that say it will not. Looks like I am staying on 3.0.1 for now unless I want to start using MyWi.
    2010-09-01 08:17 AM
    I just wanted to post an update ... I ended up installing 3.1.3 and it has worked great with TetherMe (bought for $1.99).

Just wanted to also give props to Saurik ... I loved that when I bought the app through Cydia, I checked out through my Amazon account and could use my Amazon gift card to pay for the app. Way easier and painless process than I thought it would be.
    2011-03-28 05:17 AM
    Nice just a note, stay on 3.1.3 if ever you need to restore again. iOS4 is awful for iPhone 3G, it was and still is at its endpoint at 4.2.1.
    2011-03-28 05:21 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD