As mentioned in my other post yesterday, I have a 3G S 16GB handed down to me and it looks like it has not been jailbroken before.

It is running on the original Apple formware v4.0.1 or so it seems as there no signs of a break in.

I have SHSH blobs for 4.0, 4.0.1 and 4.0.2. No blobs below 4.0, TinyUmbrella said I was too late.

Can I use any method other than JailBreakMe to jailbreak to either 4.0 or 4.0.1? Is it necessary that I have a previously jailbroken 3G S for other JB methods like redsn0w and Pwnage?

Or can I use some method to come down from 4.0.1 to jailbroken 4.0 and then get back to 4.0.1 and higher? I have only come across downgrades to 3.1.3 and lower which is not possible for me as I do not have the SHSH blobs for those versions.

If there are any JB methods for downgrading from 4.0.1 to 4.0, without needing to have a previously jailbroken phone, please let me know here.

I had a 3G earlier and jailbreaking that for a upgrade or a downgrade was never a problem with Pwnage/redsn0w. It is only with the 3G S that I'm confused.
    2010-08-25 08:18 AM
    jailbreakme is your only option for a jailbreak
    2010-08-25 08:26 AM
    I was looking through some guides posted for downgrades to 4.0. It appears as if the downgrade is not the problem, it is jailbreaking (and probably unlocking) again at the downgraded version that is important because it is at this stage that Pwnage and probably redsn0w require that my iPhone 3GS be already jailbroken with any tool other than Spirit.

My question is, what if I test to see if the custom ipsw firmware for 4.0 for my iPhone 3GS gets cooked by Pwnage 4.0? Will Pwnage throw up an error immediately during the ipsw cooking process? Or will it go ahead and still cook it for me and I will face problems while trying to restore with the cooked version?

I need to know when exactly Pwnage might reject my iPhone 3GS as unsuitable for JB.

If, on the other hand, things go smoothly with the cooking and restoring to 4.0, I can be assured that the phone has indeed been jailbroken before and can then proceed to install and JB 4.0.1. Am I right here?

@j3st3r3: It is just that I want to avoid JB with JBM as, I fear, they are gonna stop with 4.0.1. If I JB with JBM is there a chance that I could be ineligible for a JB in the future with the conventional tools like Pwnage (like it happened with Spirit). But if there is indeed no other option, I'll do it with JBM and cross my fingers.
    2010-08-25 08:50 AM
    Yeah, use JBM. You can always restore back to normal. Any future tools the dev-team releases will almost surely work on it.
    If I somehow helped you, press thanks
    2010-08-25 09:02 AM
    if the phone had been jailbroken on 3.1.x then it would almost certainly have had shsh's for those versions, since it only has 4.0+ shsh's then there is no chance that a custom firmware will work since it would have had to have been jailbroken on 3.1.2 or lower with either redsn0w or blackra1n to accept a custom firmware, so with that said your only jailbreak option at this point is jailbreakme
    2010-08-25 04:20 PM
    Yes, I realized that later- I was too hasty in putting up that post.

I have a doubt with JBM. According to the guides posted, JBM requires that my phone be "activated" for the JB and unlock to work. As mentioned earlier, my 3G S currently works on any SIM. If it has been unlocked earlier, then I do not know how because there are no signs of a JB.

Does "official SIM" mean the SIM from the official carrier that came specifically with iPhone with the data plan or any other SIM from the carrier that works on any GSM handset, like a prepaid SIM?

I'm from India and the official carriers/distributors here are Airtel and Vodafone. A new iPhone from them comes with an iPhone locked to run on the SIM they provide and comes bundled with a data plan. Now, do I require such a SIM? Or can I make do with any prepaid SIM from Airtel/Vodafone and run JBM without getting stuck at activation? Is this plan feasible or is it too ambitious?

I guess if Iget stuck at "activation" then I can as well forget about unlocking with ultrasn0w. Is that right?

Is there any way of getting out if I get stuck at "activation" with JBM? Restoring with 4.0.1, the current iOS version on my iPhone, is the answer?
    2010-08-26 04:44 AM
    The official sim means sim that the iPhone is locked to. You can use a prepaid sim from the sim that it's locked to to unlock though. If you really want to know its official carrier, call Apple and give them the serial, and ask them to backtrace the phone's history. (they at least did that for me when I had an international phone)
    If I somehow helped you, press thanks
    2010-08-26 05:17 AM
    Jailbreakme def works on an inactivated iPhone. I know because I did it twice. Aslong as u have a wifi connection u can jb it. Trust me ur making this way to complicated! Just use jailbreakme, u will be fine.
    2010-08-26 05:04 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD