User Tag List

EDIT: the iPod section has been added to the end of this post.

I noticed that a lot of people with iPhones don't really know where they stand on whether than can upgrade/downgrade and jailbreak. I don't know if there is anything else that have all this info gathered together into one for easy access so people don't have to do extensive searches to find their answer; so I'm just going to put up a little outline (not a guide) to determine owners of 2G/3G/3GS/4 phones. I have poor knowledge of iPod 2G/3G so I can't help there. Anyone who would like to make that additional section is more than welcome

So let's take a look, starting with the easiest and earliest of them all:

iPhone 2G: You may upgrade to 3.1.3 (at the most) by shift+restore to stock firmware found here in the Downloads section of MMi. Jailbreak with Redsn0w 0.9.4 (point at 3.1.2 ipsw). Upgrade to 3.1.2 by shift+restore to stock firmware and jailbreak with Redsn0w 0.9.3. Select "Unlock" in Redsn0w to unlock.

OR

Shift+restore to custom firmware of 3.1.x (created by Sn0wbreeze for windows or PwnageTool for Mac. Unlockable with BootNeuter in Cydia).

iPhone 3G: Upgrading to 3.1.3 or 3.1.2 do not require SHSH blobs. Same process as 2G phones except unlock via "Ultrasn0w" in Cydia. DOWNGRADING to 3.1.x is just as easy except users will encounter error 1004, 1011, 1013, or 1015. These errors can be ignored, use Recboot or TinyUmbrella's "kick out of recovery" to get the phone to the emergency call screen, then jailbreak (once again that's Redsn0w 0.9.4 for 3.1.3 and Redsn0w 0.9.3 for 3.1.2).

Custom firmwares may also be used like the 2G phones here for any firmware (3.1.x and up).

SHSHs are required to restore to 4.0 and 4.0.1 on 3G phones (without custom firmware). Upgrading to 4.0.2 is okay, jailbreak by Redsn0w 0.9.5b5-5 (point at 4.0 ipsw).

Note** if at 4.0.2 and you wish to downgrade for whatever reason, without SHSHs, 3.1.x is the only downgrade option. If no SHSHs are found for 4.0 or 4.0.1, a restore to those fw's are not applicable.

iPhone 3GS (old boot): Need SHSHs for any firmware you want to restore to. If the SHSHs are saved and you want 3.1.x, jailbreak with Spirit or Jailbreakme or Blackra1n. If you want 4.0 or 4.0.1, jailbreakme is the only jailbreak option.

Upgrading from 3.1.x to 4.0/1, only if you were jailbroken before on 3.x, custom firmwares can be used to shift+restore to 4.0 or 4.0.1.

iPhone 3GS (new boot): Need SHSHs for all firmwares to restore to. The only difference with new boot devices compared to old boot is that you cannot use custom firmwares at all. Jailbreak processes are the same otherwise. Blackra1n on 3.1.2 will cause a tethered jailbreak so the other methods should be used.

Note**Jailbreakme and Spirit require official carrier's SIM (ie US phone requires AT&T SIM) to activate before jailbreak can work.

iPhone 4: SHSHs required for 4.0 or 4.0.1 to restore without being upgraded to 4.0.2, which is not jailbreakable for 3GS and 4 phones. If on 4.0 or 4.0.1, the only jailbreak option is Jailbreakme for iP4. If you upgraded to 4.0.2 and have no SHSHs, you are stuck and cannot jailbreak. If you got a new phone with 4.0.2 pre-installed, you are also stuck and cannot jailbreak.

**Note: Unlocks for all 3GS and 4 phones are like 3G, use Ultrasn0w.

iPod Touch 1G: jailbreakable at all firmwares (3.1.3 and lower) via redsn0w 0.9.4 (point to 3.1.2 IPSW) or via custom firmware (PwnageTool/sn0wbreeze). Same process as iPhone 2G.

iPod Touch 2G/MB models: Custom firmware is the only way to get to 4.0 without SHSH blobs. Jailbreakable via redsn0w 0.9.5b5-5 (point at 4.0 IPSW for both 4.0 and 4.0.2) or use PwnageTool/sn0wbreeze.

iPod Touch 2G/MC models: You'll need SHSHs to downgrade, and redsn0w/custom IPSWs will not work (new bootrom). Apple, however, is still signing 4.0 for iPT2G as of 27 Aug. at 16:30 EDT.

iPod Touch 3G: Same as a new bootrom 3GS--SHSH blobs are mandatory, the only jailbreak options are blackra1n (3.1.2, tethered), Spirit (3.1.3 and lower, untethered) and jailbreakme (3.1.2-4.0, untethered).

Note** In regards to SHSHs, you can check if you have them in Cydia on the top of the home page, or via TinyUmbrella. You can save them in Cydia and with TinyUmbrella as well. 4.0.1, in regards to 3GS and iP4, stopped being signed by Apple on August 19, 2010, so it is now too late to grab your SHSHs for it.

One last thing: if you HAD your SHSHs on a device and had to for instance get a replacement or bought a new phone, you cannot use those SHSHs on the new device. SHSHs saved for a certain device can only be used with that certain device. This also means if someone else has for example an iPhone 4 and has SHSHs for 4.0 on it, you cannot "borrow" them and use it for your own iPhone 4.

I hope this made sense, it was a bit chaotic for me to try to remember every detail I could in regards to who can or cannot upgrade/downgrade and jailbreak. If I missed anything, please feel free to tell me and I will gladly add it in.

Credit goes to Orbyorb for the iPod information.
    Last edited by i.Annie; 2010-08-28 at 12:08 AM.
    2010-08-27 06:24 PM
    This is really well done. If you can add the iPad to it to make it an all around "Are You Jailbreakable?" guide and just polish it off to make it look professional, I'll stick it for everyone to see...
    2010-08-28 04:07 PM
    Realy good, great job!

Really*
    Last edited by MindGem; 2010-08-28 at 04:33 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    2010-08-28 04:33 PM
    thanks. I will take some time to add an iPad section and make it into a more organized format.
    2010-08-28 05:09 PM
    I find this guide is always useful for reference

iphone jailbreak table | iPhone News, Help and Guides
    2010-08-28 05:25 PM
    thanks. I will take some time to add an iPad section and make it into a more organized format.
    No, thank you! The more user-friendly you make it, the better. I guess you could throw in the guides that were made too...
    2010-08-28 05:37 PM
    I shouldve made it a table... Can you make a table in a post on here?
    2010-08-28 05:58 PM
    can you also add information on which bootrooms/fw are unlockable?

thank you this guide was quite helpful
    2010-08-29 12:23 PM
    All basebands are unlockable at rhis time. Meaning any phone is unlockable if they can be jailbrokem.
    2010-08-29 02:08 PM
    Quick question that I hope goes with this topic... I just got a replacement iphone 4 with ios 4.0.0. I jailbroke it and clicked "make my life easier" in cydia, however I only have 4.0.2. shsh on file now. Does anyone know why I don't have 4.0.1 on file or is there any other way i can upgrade to 4.0.1 since apple stopped signing that firmware?
    2010-08-30 06:13 PM
    You cant get the 4.0.1 SHSHs cuz Apple stopped signing it on 08/19. If you had saved them before that date, youd have them, but since you didnt do so before the 19th you couldnt get them.

Edit: oh yeah, the answer to your question is no, you cant go to 4.0.1 without SHSHs cuz youll be forces up to 4.0.2 by iTunes.
    Last edited by i.Annie; 2010-08-30 at 06:59 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    2010-08-30 06:59 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD