Hi All,

My first post

My Story

I recently bought a Jailbroken and unlocked 3GS running 3.1.2. As the previous owner had left a lot of stuff on it and decided in my wisdom to do a full reset, and erase all content. This of course bricked the Iphone . My only option at the time was to go to 4.0.2. However the phone was locked to the UK Vodafone carrier, and as I live in Ireland I was not going to be able to get a Sim and activate the phone. I also did not have the SHSH Blobs.

So this is what I did.

Modified the hosts file in CWINNT\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\ETC , I included the entry 74.208.105.171 gs.apple.com

This allowed me to restore any official version of OS.

I downgraded to 3.1.2, receiving the Error 1015. I fixed this using the RECBOOT application. Which basically takes the phone out of Recovery Mode. This left me with an Unactivated Iphone running 3.1.2 on baseband 05.13.04.

I then used Blackra1n RC3 to Jailbreak and Hacktivate. This allowed me to access the phone and setup a wifi connection. I then installed Cydia via blackRa1n. Once installed I added REPO666.ultrasn0w.com as package source, and installed the latest Ultrasn0w. This unlocked my phone, and now I have a fully operating Iphone 3GS.

So here's the question :

As my phone was never officially activated, and if I do any upgrades via a restore it will lock my phone again awaiting activation, is there any way for me to upgrade to a later firmware?

Can I perhaps use the Upgrade option with the shift key to select a later firmware? I know that this may lock the carrier but will it leave me access the iphone and use wifi to access jailbreakme and then unlock, or will the phone go back into an unactivated status?

I am as well to leave the iphone at 3.1.2?

Sorry if this post was long winded, but perhaps it may help the folks who are stuck on 4.0.2.

Thxs

G.

P.S. It appears not have left me in tethered state. I have succesfully power cycled the phone with out having to run BlackraIn again.
    Last edited by GavinH; 2010-08-29 at 10:19 AM.
    2010-08-29 09:54 AM
    Can you explain how you made the modification in the host file once again and in detail? I wonder if this will work on a 4
    Thanks.
    2010-08-29 02:41 PM
    ok so
    go in CWINNT\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\ETC directory
    locate the file called hosts
    open it with notepad
    at the bottom of the file put : 74.208.105.171 gs.apple.com
    save the file.

thats it.

depending on your version of windows, your windows directory may be CWINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\ETC
    2010-08-29 03:00 PM
    Actually, you did have SHSHs stored. That's why you edit the hosts file. By doing that, you tell iTunes to go to Cydia's server when it wants to verify the restore.

To answer your question, do you need to run blackra1n every time you reboot the phone? Meaning, can you turn the phone off completely and then back on without connecting it to the computer? If you can do that, you can make a custom 4.0 firmware using pwnagetool and then restore to that. That'll make you go to 4.0 and the phone will already be jailbroken after the CFW restore. One good thing, out of many, about CFWs is that you can make it activated so when the phone is restored, it pre-activated as well as pre-jailbroken.
    We're all just toymakers in the game of life.
    2010-08-29 06:00 PM
    I guess the shsh blobs were up there, I just didn't know as I had bought it 2nd hand, and had just got it. The previous owner said he had never choses "make life easier". As to the tethering. I don't have to do it. My phone has gone through numerous reboots and full powering off/on's. I have not had to tether it. And this is even though I Jailbroke with Blackra1n.

I actually tried loading an CFW from the net, but I couldnt restore it. However this was before the phone was jailbroken

Thanks for the help.
    2010-08-30 12:29 PM
    I guess the shsh blobs were up there, I just didn't know as I had bought it 2nd hand, and had just got it. The previous owner said he had never choses "make life easier". As to the tethering. I don't have to do it. My phone has gone through numerous reboots and full powering off/on's. I have not had to tether it. And this is even though I Jailbroke with Blackra1n.

I actually tried loading an CFW from the net, but I couldnt restore it. However this was before the phone was jailbroken

Thanks for the help.
    Well, then your phone has the old bootrom which means CFWs will work for you. You might need to jailbreak with a low level jailbreak such as redsn0w or blackra1n first, but once you've done that, you can load a CFW and in the future, you can just stick to CWFs each time you want to upgrade. That way you'll always stay jailbroken.

If you want to try it, have your jailbroken phone just turned on and fully booted (no DFU and no recovery mode) and then just do a shift-restore in iTunes pointing to the CFW.
    2010-08-30 01:31 PM
    I am sorry they I am asking my question here by I don't have permission for new post. My problem is similar to the original poster but I am currently on ios 3.1.3. Now that the latest version is ios 4.0.2. Can any one let me know how to load ios 4.0 to my iPhone? I don't have the original sim card. Also I am on new bootroom so any hope for me?
    2010-08-30 02:35 PM
    I am sorry they I am asking my question here by I don't have permission for new post. My problem is similar to the original poster but I am currently on ios 3.1.3. Now that the latest version is ios 4.0.2. Can any one let me know how to load ios 4.0 to my iPhone? I don't have the original sim card. Also I am on new bootroom so any hope for me?
    Under any circumstances, you will need access to either an official sim or a phonebook sim.

Upgrading to 4.0/4.0.1 depends on if you've stored your SHSHs with Cydia. You can tell if they're there by loading Cydia and checking at the top of the page. It'll display something like "This device has SHSHs for firmware versions: xxx, xxx, xxx" the Xs being the versions you can restore to.
    2010-08-30 03:07 PM
    Thanks for the reply. Yes I have the shsh stored in cydia for 4.0 and 4.0.1. Now I'll look up what a phonebook sim is.
    2010-08-30 04:42 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD