I'm wanting to jailbreak my fiance's iPhone before we sell it to hopefully get more money but...

I don't know what 'state' her iPhone is in.

She has her iPhone 4 and is using it with all the same exact apps that were on her 3GS and everything... but looking back on her 3GS I've noticed it will still access her email, it still has the same apps on it that was on it before, etc (even the paid apps!). I loaded up N.O.V.A. on her 3GS and joined a mulitplayer game from my iPhone with no problem.

I'm assuming that whenever the person who we sell the 3GS to links it to iTunes it will just erase everything and replace it with their apps, songs, etc... but in the mean time what do I have?

These are my questions:

#1 - What state is her iPhone 3GS in?

#2 - Is it an overpriced iPod Touch?

#3 - I know you can go into settings and delete everything on the phone (which I believe "locks" it)... So should I just delete the apps, email, pictures, etc so that I can sell the phone "unlocked" so someone will only have to put their sim card in to use it?

#4 - If #3 is ok... after I do the above, can I go to jailbreakme.com and jailbreak it so that I can get a little extra money for selling a jailbroken iPhone?
    2010-08-31 09:55 AM
    1.) not quite sure what you mean by that

2.) at this point yes

3.) you will have to jailbreak before you unlock, do not go into settings and erase everything or you will not be able to jailbreak/unlock since in doing so it will force you to update the phone and 4.0.2 can't be jailbroken

4.) see #3

what firmware is the phone currently running? I believe you can create a new user in iTunes and sync the phone with that and it will erase all the contacts, apps, pics, etc....or maybe it's create a new user on your computer and install iTunes and sync to erase all the content on the phone
    2010-08-31 10:02 AM
    1.) not quite sure what you mean by that

2.) at this point yes

3.) you will have to jailbreak before you unlock, do not go into settings and erase everything or you will not be able to jailbreak/unlock since in doing so it will force you to update the phone and 4.0.2 can't be jailbroken

4.) see #3

what firmware is the phone currently running? I believe you can create a new user in iTunes and sync the phone with that and it will erase all the contacts, apps, pics, etc....or maybe it's create a new user on your computer and install iTunes and sync to erase all the content on the phone
    The phone is firmware 4.0.1

I will explain what I mean by 'state'

First time I have to notify you that I'm an idiot and am probably using the wrong terminology and the details are prolly incorrect, but here it goes

To my knowledge there are 3 types of iPhones

Type 1 - (Brand, spanking new) you need iTunes and you have to activate it through AT&T to be able to just get past the startup screen and use it... even if you don't want to use it as a phone.

Type 2 - (Used) it's already "unlocked" or whatever... I guess and you can just put your SIM card in a start using the phone without having to actually call AT&T (If you don't activate it through AT&T you will be stuck at 2G but it will still work, to my knowledge)

Type 3 - (Used and Jailbroken) Same as type 2 but you've also jailbroken it.

Obviously the phone is a 'type 2' considering the above explanations, but how do I go about clearing it and then jailbreaking it and then selling it blank, open and jailbroken?
    2010-08-31 10:40 AM
    If the phone doesn't have a buyer yet, I'll consider buying it off u No need to jailbreak or unlock it as long as it stays 4.0.1
    2010-08-31 11:05 AM
    I've already promised it to a guy for $300 and I was going to jailbreak it for a little extra money if he agreed to it.
    2010-08-31 07:12 PM
    Just hook it up to iTunes and do a restore if it's already jailbroken follow instruction on here to restore your current firmware jailbreak it with jailbreakme.com and their you go one more thing I don't think your going extra money for jailbreaking the iPhone when a 5 year old can go to the web site and do it their self for free just do the restore and sell it for $400.00 being that you spent $300.00 to $600.00 for it with AT&T contract and all hope this works for you.
    2010-08-31 07:23 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD