User Tag List

I currently have a jailbroken iPhone 3G, but my version is very outdated and I'm starting to notice that Cydia upgrades are failing more than not, so I'm looking to completely reset my iPhone, upgrade it to the latest possible version and jailbreak it again. The question is ...how? Now, I have quite a bit of technical knowledge, sadly it's not with iPhones.

Here is what I have:
    Phone: iPhone 3G
    Version: 2.1 (5F136)
    Carrier: Carrier 2.6
    Model: MB489T

My operating system is Windows 7, so I can't use any iMac tools to do the unlocking/jailbreaking. I also believe that my iPhone is made in China, but I'm not 100% sure (maybe someone can tell from the Model #?), so it may already be factory-unlocked.

I have a basic idea of how it works ..

1. Restore the iPhone through iTunes to the latest version (4.0.2?)
    2. Unlock it (may not be needed?)
    3. Jailbreak it
    4. Install Cydia (absolutely need this)

Am I right? Now, I need some advice as to which program to use to jailbreak/unlock it. Obviously I'd prefer a free one if at all possible, but I'm open to suggestions. I've heard some people recommend JailbreakMe ..would that work in my case?

I'd appreciate any help before I break my iPhone...
    2010-09-01 12:52 PM
    Are you on an official carrier and just need to jailbreak?
    2010-09-01 12:54 PM
    Official carrier would be AT&T? If so, nope. I'm living in SE Asia and bought the phone here. I remember that when I bought it, I had a choice of a US-made iPhone and a China-made iPhone. I took the China-made iPhone (can't remember why) but I think those aren't carrier-locked, right? I'm not sure, though. But I'm definitely not on AT&T or anything related.
    2010-09-01 12:58 PM
    Ok so you do not need to unlock and your sim should activate your iphone fine in itunes after a restore if it is factory unlocked. If this is the case you can download the 4.0.1 firmware, shift/click restore to it and use jailbreakme.com

If for whatever reason you are not factory unlocked and find yourself at the emergency call screen after the update then you will need the latest redsn0w to activate and jailbreak. You can follow the guide on iClarified - Apple News and Tutorials just click on the red star at the top left that says jailbreak and unlock.

You can also download the 3.1.3 firmware and go to that instead if you prefer since 4.0 and up on a iPhone 3G can be a bit sluggish.
    Last edited by Simon; 2010-09-01 at 01:16 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    2010-09-01 01:08 PM
    Thank you very much!

I will give that a try in a few hours (after saving all my contact numbers and photos) and will post here as to how it went. I will go with the 3.1.3 I think, just to be safe.

A quickie question ... is this the correct download link for the 3.1.3 firmware?

iPhone 3G (3.1.3/7E18)
    http://appldnld.apple.com.edgesuite....8_Restore.ipsw
    Last edited by ShannonT; 2010-09-01 at 01:33 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    2010-09-01 01:30 PM
    Yes that looks right
    2010-09-01 01:41 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD