I just bought a jailbroken 3g phone. Everything is great and it has Cydia on it. When I checked in General/Settings/About/Version I'm pretty sure it was "Version 4.0.1". Now it says "Version 3.1.3".... and at the top of the Cydia Home Page it says "This device has SHSHs on file for iPhone OS/IOS 4.0, 4.0.1".

Is this right? Do I leave it like this? Did Cydia change my SW or is it like a dummy ID or something? Can I upgrade the SW on Itunes? I've been reading not to upgrade the Iphone to 4.0.2, but what happened to my 4.0.1?I'm still confused on all of this. For now I'll keep using as is without upgrading. What should I do next? If anyone might give me some advice, I'd be grateful.

Oh also forgot to mention my carrier is Simple Mobile. Not sure if that matters or not.
    Last edited by flixter76; 2010-09-02 at 11:37 AM. Reason: Additional Info-Carrier
    2010-09-02 11:32 AM
    SHSH is only if you regret downgrade/upgrade and you want to downgrade/upgrade back.

If you canīt install any apps for 4.0, restore.
    2010-09-02 06:04 PM
    If the iPhone 3G is running well, do nothing to it for now. Next week, iOS 4.1 will be released, which should have fixes to make it run more smoothly than either 4.0 or 4.0.1 or 4.0.2 currently do on the 3G.

Also, since it's a 3G, you can downgrade it to 3.1.3 or 3.1.2 without blobs. You can also jailbreak it with 4.0.2 using redsn0w, I think. There are tutorials to guide you through that if you wish.
    2010-09-02 06:20 PM
    So if I restore normally will it unjailbreak my phone? It was already jailbroken when I got it.

If I restore using TinyUmbrella will it unjailbreak my phone?

If I restore using TinyUmbrella will it unjailbreak my phone? Will it have to be jailbroken again? It was already jailbroken and I don't want to risk messing anything up if restore and then can't jailbreak it anymore since I have Simple Mobile and not ATT.

SHSH is only if you regret downgrade/upgrade and you want to downgrade/upgrade back.

If you canīt install any apps for 4.0, restore.
    If I restore normally through Itunes will it unjailbreak my phone? Will it have to be jailbroken again?
    Last edited by flixter76; 2010-09-03 at 12:03 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    2010-09-03 12:03 AM
    Any restore that re-installs the firmware will remove a jailbreak...unless you install a custom firmware. A custom firmware can be installed already jailbroken, unlocked and activated.

When it comes to custom firmware versions, I really know remarkably little, so I won't attempt to offer advice on something that I know so little about.

Anyways, it's not bad to just install a nice clean firmware. So long as you don't upgrade to 4.0.2 and stay there, you'll be able to jailbreak.
    2010-09-03 01:42 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD