Hi guys. I've got my iPhone 4 32gb for the UK, which is meant to be factory unlocked.

Obviously once I popped in my Vodafone MT sim in it, it was supported so I used a phonebook simcard to activate, jailbreak, installed ultrasn0w etc.

Now all is fine except I cant activate FaceTime since I used a phonebook sim (according to MiTime you cant)...
    Also, I'd rather it be network unlocked so I dont need ultrasn0w (better battery life + no need to be scared about future baseband upgrades)...

So I go onto the Apple site to contact them, and see why my iPhone is internationally locked, and since im in Malta the contact number is 800 62072*** ... What the hell is the three *** ?

Will it be possible for me to get it network unlocked or am I just 100% screwed?

Nobody?
    Last edited by l-awstraljan; 2010-09-05 at 05:16 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    2010-09-05 05:16 PM
    Ok I'm from the U.S.A. so ur gunna need to fill me in a little bit here. What network/networks is the iPhone on in the U.K? The reason I'm asking is because here in the U.S., the iPhone is only on AT&T, but once unlocked, can be used on an unsupported network, T-Mobile. The iPhone 4 has been hacked to work with T-Mobile using UltraSn0w like u did but the only problem with using the iPhone 4 on an unsupported carrier is if the carrier can not support video calls. This could be the problem if Vodaphone does not support video calling.
     Think Different.
    2010-09-06 09:57 PM
    Ok I'm from the U.S.A. so ur gunna need to fill me in a little bit here. What network/networks is the iPhone on in the U.K? The reason I'm asking is because here in the U.S., the iPhone is only on AT&T, but once unlocked, can be used on an unsupported network, T-Mobile. The iPhone 4 has been hacked to work with T-Mobile using UltraSn0w like u did but the only problem with using the iPhone 4 on an unsupported carrier is if the carrier can not support video calls. This could be the problem if Vodaphone does not support video calling.
    No no, I don't think that's his problem.

Normally the factory-unlocked iPhones will activate in iTunes by putting any old SIM in them, and then a message will pop up saying "your iPhone has been successfully unlocked" as the unlock has to be re-done every activation. He's not getting that message, therefore his iPhone is probably not unlocked.

OP, the asterisks are just a footnote saying that number isn't always accessible from a Maltese mobile phone. I don't think they represent anything missing. Also, OP, on the box your iPhone came in, are there any carrier logos on the back? Did it come with, say, a Vodafone UK microsim?

Technical support will probably need the model number of your phone, the serial number, and the IMEI at the least. Keep your physical receipt from the Apple Store itself handy, it has all that information and is your proof you bought the phone from the UK store, unlocked, at full price.

Good luck!
    2010-09-06 10:19 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD