Hey guys,

I've done a fair bit of jailbreaking before using redsn0w/jailbreakme.

Just today I got a new phone which is a 3GS running 3.0.1 iOS.

I'm wondering what my options are for jailbreaking this phone. As far as I know it has NOT been jailbroken before thus there are likely no SHSH blobs on file for any firmware.

Is there any untethered jailbreak that works for 3.0.1 or any way to update it to an iOS which has an untethered jailbreak (3.1.2/4.0.X)?

Thanks a lot for the help.
    2010-09-14 03:42 AM
    3.1.3 can be jailbroken with Spirit. 4.0.1 can br jailbrloken at Jailbreakme.com. Both are untethered. Just dont go to 4.0.2 or your stuck.
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    My brother was eaten by wolves on the NJ Turnpike.
    2010-09-14 05:20 AM
    search on this site for the old quickpwn for 3.0.1 and then upload your ECID and SHSH blobs onto cydia first... then upgrade to 3.1.2 original and goto jailbreakme.com and then you are ready to join everyone else to jailbreak to 4.0...
    2010-09-14 05:45 AM
    you cant get SHSH's for anything but 4.1 now.... you are out of luck except for the firmware that you are at.... sorry dude
    2010-09-14 05:47 AM
    3.1.3 can be jailbroken with Spirit. 4.0.1 can br jailbrloken at Jailbreakme.com. Both are untethered. Just dont go to 4.0.2 or your stuck.
    Yes I know dude but what I'm trying to find out is if it's possible for me to upgrade my phone to 3.1.3 or 4.0.1 when this phone has never been jailbroken.

Thanks
    Last edited by bellyfrog; 2010-09-14 at 06:52 AM.
    2010-09-14 06:40 AM
    Yes I know dude but what I'm trying to find out is if it's possible for me to upgrade my phone to 3.1.3 or 4.0.1 when this phone has never been jailbroken.

Thanks
    Unless it's been jailbroken before you've no chance that it's got SHSH on file. Hence a straight upgrade (restore) to 4.0.1 is not possible, as you will only be able to go to 4.1, which is currently not jailbreakable or unlockable.

Here is a solution:
    Jailbreak with Redsnow
    Jailbreak iPhone 3.0.1 with redsn0w | Redmond Pie

Now, you can unlock there and stay on 3.0.1, but I'm guessing you want to upgrade the firmware to something more current? By using custom firmware (once jailbroken as above) you can go to 4.0 with pwnagetool or snowbreeze. Using custom firmware does not require you to have SHSH on file to upgrade/restore.
    Last edited by eyeRobot; 2010-09-14 at 07:10 AM.
    2010-09-14 06:58 AM
    Unless it's been jailbroken before you've no chance that it's got SHSH on file and hence a straight upgrade (restore) to 4.0.1 is not possible as you will only be able to go to 4.1 which is currently not jailbreakable or unlockable.

Here is a solution:
    Jailbreak with Redsnow
    Jailbreak iPhone 3.0.1 with redsn0w | Redmond Pie

Now, you can unlock there and stay on 3.0.1, but I'm guessing you want to upgrade the firmware to something more current? By using custom firmware (once jailbroken as above) you can go to 4.0 with pwnagetool or snowbreeze. Using custom firmware does not require you to have SHSH on file to upgrade/restore.
    Hmm, this is very useful info. But when I'm on the 4.0 custom firmware is it possible to re-jailbreak with Jailbreakme for example so it will be untethered? (I assume pwnagetool/snowbreeze are tethered Jailbreaks)

I'm not too bothered about which iOS the phone is running I just want to have an untethered jailbreak.
    2010-09-14 07:01 AM
    When you use custom firmware you don't need to jailbreak again, it comes updated already jailbroken (i.e. you don't need to use jailbreakme). I can confirm 4.0 is very stable on my 3GS.

No jailbreaks on your phone are going to be tethered.

Your problem is to get it jailbroken at 3.0.1 first as you need to be jailbroken to use custom firmware.

Hopefully the Redsnow method works.
    Last edited by eyeRobot; 2010-09-14 at 07:20 AM.
    2010-09-14 07:17 AM
    When you use custom firmware you don't need to jailbreak again, it comes updated already jailbroken. I can confirm 4.0 is very stable on my 3GS.

No jailbreaks on your phone are going to be tethered.

Your problem is to get it jailbroken at 3.0.1 first as you need to be jailbroken to use custom firmware.

Hopefully the Redsnow method works.
    Ok well, I'm downloading the 3.0 firmware at the moment with my horrible New Zealand internet We'll see how that goes.

What I meant though, is that I know the custom firmware is jailbroken. But if you can re-jailbreak using Jailbreakme (which is compatible with 4.0 but not sure if it will work with custom firmware) then it will become untethered.
    2010-09-14 07:20 AM
    What I meant though, is that I know the custom firmware is jailbroken. But if you can re-jailbreak using Jailbreakme (which is compatible with 4.0 but not sure if it will work with custom firmware) then it will become untethered.
    1. Redsnow at 3.0.1
    2. Do a custom restore to 4.0 (using firmware from pwnagetool/snowbreeze) - you don't need to jailbreak again.
    3. Unlock with ultrasnow

No need to use jailbreakme at any point.

Links for the steps:

1. Jailbreak iPhone 3.0.1 with redsn0w | Redmond Pie
    2a. Jailbreak iOS 4 with PwnageTool 4.0 / 4.01 [How to Guide] | Redmond Pie
    2b. Jailbreak iOS 4 with Sn0wbreeze [Custom Firmware Windows] | Redmond Pie
    3. Unlock iPhone 4 on iOS 4.0.1 with Ultrasn0w 1.1-1 | Redmond Pie
    Last edited by eyeRobot; 2010-09-14 at 07:33 AM.
    2010-09-14 07:24 AM
    1. Redsnow at 3.0.1
    2. Do a custom restore to 4.0 (using firmware from pwnagetool/snowbreeze) - you don't need to jailbreak again.
    3. Unlock with ultrasnow

No need to use jailbreakme at any point.

Links for the steps:

1. Jailbreak iPhone 3.0.1 with redsn0w | Redmond Pie
    2a. Jailbreak iOS 4 with PwnageTool 4.0 / 4.01 [How to Guide] | Redmond Pie
    2b. Jailbreak iOS 4 with Sn0wbreeze [Custom Firmware Windows] | Redmond Pie
    3. Unlock iPhone 4 on iOS 4.0.1 with Ultrasn0w 1.1-1 | Redmond Pie
    Thanks a lot for all the help and the links.

I thought Pwnagetool was tethered, that's why I wanted to use Jailbreakme
    2010-09-14 07:35 AM
    Pwnagetool (mac), snowbreeze(pc) would be my preference over jailbreakme anyway. It's not got the annoying pixels at startup and it also boots a lot faster. I've had no problems with my pwn'd 3GS since i upgraded back in June.

Jailbreakme I would only use on new bootrom phones for which pwnagetool/snowbreeze don't work (and which yours is not going to be)!

BTW, good luck with the redsnow process, if you can through that stage I think you'll be ok. You may need to downgrade itunes to get it to work though.
    Last edited by eyeRobot; 2010-09-14 at 07:47 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    2010-09-14 07:47 AM
    Custom firmware will not work if you have a 3GS with a newer bootrom. I was in the same situation and my only choice was a tethered 4.0 jailbreak w/ snowbreeze + ibooty workaround.
    2010-09-14 08:13 AM
    As stated above, he is not going to have new bootrom. So no need to worry there.

3.0.1 firmware significantly pre-dates new bootrom.
    2010-09-14 08:17 AM
    westonben, you are an absolute genius! I asked around 2 other forums and all I got was "you can't downgrade if you don't have SHSH blobs saved"... No one actually reads questions properly it seems

Thanks a lot for your help, you have saved the day!

(It all worked perfectly)
    2010-09-14 08:32 AM
    Cool, I can't take much credit though - dev team makes the tools!

Did you get it onto iOS4.0?

If you've not done that step yet, it could be worth double checking your bootrom before you start:
    How to Check iPhone 3GS New Bootrom / Old Bootrom (iBoot) Version | Redmond Pie
    2010-09-14 08:36 AM
    Yeah it's fine, its running 4.0 and unlocked

Thanks again!
    2010-09-14 08:40 AM
    Good news! Start your SHSH collection for the phone now! 4.1 may be useful one day!
    2010-09-14 08:42 AM
    Yeah don't worry I have it saved already

Like I said I've jailbroken loads of phones before but most of those were simple 4.0.1 jailbreak me and done. One I had to use redsn0w for as it was a 4.0.2 3G model. This is the first time I've had a phone with such an old iOS
    2010-09-14 08:45 AM
    Jailbreakme sure is simple, but I much prefer to have a pwn'd phone - especially when I'm selling them.

Even if it's already jailbroken at 4.0.1 I will check to see if it's old bootrom and if SHSH are there so it's possible to go back to 3.1.2/3.1.3 and rejailbreak. Then custom restore back to 4.0. Just personal preference, but I disklike the long/messy boot sequence with jbme. Another advantage is that you are more likely to be able to upgrade to new firmware quicker than a jailbreakme phone.

Another little known fact is that an old bootrom 3.1.3 can be pwn'd even if it's JB with spirit. In that case spirit2pwn works great (unoffical tool but tested by me on 4 3GS phones now).

Anyway, your problem is sorted, just food for thought if anyone else reads or if you do anymore in the future.
    2010-09-14 08:54 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD