Hai guys, if I upgraded this 3G (3.13 @5.12.01) to 4.0 what baseband would I get? I can't back up shsh with cydia cause I was offline when tiny came out and when I came back, it was already over...dang....also I have a 2G (3.1.2 @ 04.05.04_G) and if I upgrade that can it be returned to original?
    Rules one and two ALWAYS in effect.
    2010-09-23 05:32 AM
    Hai guys, if I upgraded this 3G (3.13 @5.12.01) to 4.0 what baseband would I get? I can't back up shsh with cydia cause I was offline when tiny came out and when I came back, it was already over...dang....also I have a 2G (3.1.2 @ 04.05.04_G) and if I upgrade that can it be returned to original?
    At this point, the only way you're getting to 4.0.x is to use a custom-firmware tool like sn0wbreeze or Pwnagetool that will install an iBoot that won't check for SHSH blobs (4.0 and later require SHSH blobs even on the 3G, and they're not signed anymore).

Jailbreak on 3.1.3 with redsn0w 0.9.4, build an IPSW (disabling baseband update) with sn0wbreeze or Pwnagetool, and restore that custom IPSW with iTunes, making sure your jailbroken iPhone is in Recovery mode.

Using the custom-firmware method correctly will ensure your device stays at its current baseband, 05.12.01. 4.0.x stock contains 05.13.04, which is also unlockable (so not a lot of danger there).
    2010-09-23 05:44 AM
    Thanks for the succint and concise reply...I only want to get back my apn settings. Maybe you should see these images of shsh cydia had for this phone. I still am not sure how I downgraded from what it was to what it is. The Saved blobs imply an impossibility. But there it is.
    Attached Thumbnails If 3G  3.1.3 to 4.0'd what baseband?-img_0023.png   If 3G  3.1.3 to 4.0'd what baseband?-img_0022.png  
    2010-09-29 09:37 AM
    Thanks for the succint and concise reply...I only want to get back my apn settings. Maybe you should see these images of shsh cydia had for this phone. I still am not sure how I downgraded from what it was to what it is. The Saved blobs imply an impossibility. But there it is.
    No impossibility if the phone was jailbroken before June 21st of this year--Cydia started saving all blobs for all currently-jailbroken 3G users as soon as (or close to) when Apple started requiring them with 4.0 so it'd make sense for you to have them.

Hmm, missing APN settings... what cell carrier in what country do you use? You'll probably just need to grab a new .ipcc file and that'll kick on your APN menu (Carrier not available is a bad sign but usually easily fixed). We'll start there, next step is to reinstall ultrasn0w.
    2010-09-29 10:13 AM
    currently using tmob us, I didn't notice the 'carrier not available' (see images), but although I see blobs for 4.0, 4.0.1, 4.0.2 and 4.1, I only get option for 4.1 from t.u. when i ask for shsh. I have the dumb. what is this?
    Attached Thumbnails If 3G  3.1.3 to 4.0'd what baseband?-img_0026.png   If 3G  3.1.3 to 4.0'd what baseband?-img_0025.png  
    2010-10-01 06:45 AM
    You have to scroll down under Device/Version and select 4.0 or 4.0.1 , then Click Save shsh , wait for answer, then you will be stored locally.
    2010-10-01 06:58 AM
    worked like a charm...thanks! Now the hard part, how do I restore to 4.0 etc.?
    2010-10-01 08:39 AM
    worked like a charm...thanks! Now the hard part, how do I restore to 4.0 etc.?
    You might not have to restore your firmware if all you need is the APN settings back.

Try this: first, make sure "Enable 3G" in your phone is turned OFF. T-Mobile's 3G network in the US is incompatible with the iPhone.

Shoot over to help.BenM.at | BENM.AT on your iPhone and try downloading the T-Mobile US carrier file, then reboot the phone after installing. That should bring up the APN menu for editing (and fix the Carrier Not Available thing).
    2010-10-01 09:44 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD