I followed these instructions given to me in another post this early afternoon:

"
    Alright , this is what you have to do now.
    Download 3.1.3 ipsw and download 3.1.2 ipsw again
    Do the Shift + Restore to 3.1.3 again.
    Once restored, run Redsn0w 0.9.4 and browse to 3.1.2 when you are ask to.
    Do the jailbeak at 3.1.3 with Redsn0w.
    Once jailbroken, update Cydia.
    Now download Snowbreeze 2.0.2 and download 3g 4.1 ipsw as well
    Run Snowbreeze in Expert mode, and under General, uncheck activate iphone.
    You will need the official sim card to activate.
    Build your custom fimware, once build it will be on your desktop.
    Put your 3g iphone into Recovery mode
    (^^ This is where it crashed and i stopped- see below)
    Now Do the Shift + Restore to the custom firmware of 4.1 called Snowbreeze_4.1.ipsw
    let it restore, once restored you will be at emergency screen
    Now put your official sim card to trigger to home screen
    You are now jailbroken at 4.1.
    Open up Cydia and install Ultrasn0w to unlock.
    That is it."

I got to the point where I opened Snowbreeze and "built" my firmware.. However, it crashed halfway through when I was trying to set it into recovery mode, and now my phone is IN recovery mode but when i do the Shirt + Restore and try to load the firmware that Snowbreeze made, it first says its Preparing the iphone for restore, and then it says there's an unknown error on iTunes!

WHAT DID I DO!?

My phone is unusable currently and Im freaking out just a little, because tomorrow is a workday! If i restore it "normally" it will make it so i cant jailbreak anymore (4.0.2?) and i will be a very unhappy camper

Can anyone tell me what im doing wrong, and how to correct it?

EDIT: i was able to restore back to 3.1.3, but somewhere i went wrong with Snowbreeze i guess.
    Last edited by birdtail; 2010-10-06 at 07:40 PM.
    2010-10-06 08:54 AM
    I guess it's an iPhone 3G?

Use iREB (download at iH8sn0w.com | Jailbreak your iPod touches and iPhones) to fix the iTunes error. Should work after that. Good luck
    2010-10-06 10:12 AM
    I went back to re-read the instructions and I realized i never jailbroke with redsn0w.. i was able to revert to 3.1.3 again and am currently battling with redsn0w. it currently keeps crashing each time i start the jailbreak process.
    2010-10-06 10:14 AM
    Yeah redsn0w does this pretty often, just locks up during the Uploading phase. Just cancel, turn off the phone and start again. It's safe to do this.

Also make sure you are pointing redsn0w to the 3.1.2 firmware and not 3.1.3.
    2010-10-06 10:21 AM

downloaded that program, itunes is still giving me an "unknown error".
    Grrrr, this is quite difficult, Ive been at this for about 4 hours now

So close, and yet so far.

Any more ideas as to why it's still giving me trouble? I was able to jailbreak it and I had the custom firmware made by sn0wbreeze, downloaded that iREB program and it gave me the message to continue to download custom firmware, but it gave me that same error message

*rips hair out*
    Last edited by birdtail; 2010-10-06 at 11:35 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    2010-10-06 11:34 AM
    Whats the number of the error you get from iTunes?

And what are you doing with iREB? Click Online Mode > Click iPhone 3G > put the phone into DFU > iPhone gets screen with a special logo telling you to install custom firmware?
    2010-10-06 11:41 AM
    Whats the number of the error you get from iTunes?

And what are you doing with iREB? Click Online Mode > Click iPhone 3G > put the phone into DFU > iPhone gets screen with a special logo telling you to install custom firmware?

Yes yes, doing that exact thing.. has me hold the buttons down and i get that special logo, and it acts like its going to install it, extracts, prepares (and my phone gets the apple logo with the bar below it that gets filled, but it doesnt load at all) and then i get error 14?

Phones goes black for a split second and then reloads the iTunes symbol and USB cable (Recovery Mode).

EDIT: is the 14 error because i am using an older iTunes? I dont exactly know which one i'm on. Is it safe to update to the 10.1 or whatever the newest one is?
    I found this list, havent tried anything off of it yet:
    Update and restore alert messages on iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch
    Last edited by birdtail; 2010-10-06 at 07:39 PM.
    2010-10-06 11:45 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD