I would like to know if someone can give me step by step instructions on the proper way to upgrade a Iphone 4 (4.01) jailbroken already to firmware 4.1. so I don't loose my apps. and than I will re jailbreak with the new GreenPois0n jailbreak when it is released.
    2010-10-08 07:34 AM
    I would like to know if someone can give me step by step instructions on the proper way to upgrade a Iphone 4 (4.01) jailbroken already to firmware 4.1. so I don't loose my apps. and than I will re jailbreak with the new GreenPois0n jailbreak when it is released.
    First and most important rule if you rely on ultrasn0w for an unlock: DO NOT UPGRADE TO A STOCK 4.1 .IPSW FILE WITH iTUNES.

Wait for a revised version of PwnageTool or sn0wbreeze (Mac OSX and Windows, respectively) to be released utilizing SHAtter (aka greenpois0n). With those tools, you can make a custom IPSW with jailbreak applications already installed on the device (so for example, you can add Winterboard to the device as soon as you install the new IPSW). You'll need to use the list of apps from your current device and add them all during the custom-IPSW creation process, but it should be easy enough.

The tool will also give you the option to disable baseband update, make sure that you've disabled the update when you're building your IPSW. It'll preserve your baseband and therefore unlock.

After you've got the custom IPSW ready, follow the program's instructions (probably involves dropping the device into DFU while running PT/SB) and restore the IPSW according to directions.

And there you are, a custom-made 4.1 IPSW just for your i4 with all your apps, jailbroken and still unlockable.
    2010-10-08 08:09 AM
    First and most important rule if you rely on ultrasn0w for an unlock: DO NOT UPGRADE TO A STOCK 4.1 .IPSW FILE WITH iTUNES.

Wait for a revised version of PwnageTool or sn0wbreeze (Mac OSX and Windows, respectively) to be released utilizing SHAtter (aka greenpois0n). With those tools, you can make a custom IPSW with jailbreak applications already installed on the device (so for example, you can add Winterboard to the device as soon as you install the new IPSW). You'll need to use the list of apps from your current device and add them all during the custom-IPSW creation process, but it should be easy enough.

The tool will also give you the option to disable baseband update, make sure that you've disabled the update when you're building your IPSW. It'll preserve your baseband and therefore unlock.

After you've got the custom IPSW ready, follow the program's instructions (probably involves dropping the device into DFU while running PT/SB) and restore the IPSW according to directions.

And there you are, a custom-made 4.1 IPSW just for your i4 with all your apps, jailbroken and still unlockable.
    Thanks but your way is a lot more involved than when I did it with my 3gs. I just forgot how I did it and it went smoothly than i did the new jailbreak and restored my apps. I think I have to do a backup first, than restore the iphone and while doing so it will update to 4.1. Than I think I jailbreak , than restore from back up and my apps should be there.

Thanks for your advise... Any comments let me know.
    2010-10-08 08:29 AM
    greenpois0n wont work on your 3gs, its only for 4th gen devices

but for general knowledge, heres is what you WOULD do

transfer all of your purchases from phone to itunes, and make a backup of your phone in itunes

download 4.1 ipsw file
    download tiny umbrella

restore using tinytss to preserve baseband and kick device out of recovery mode when done

load backup of your phone and transfer your purchases

all done
    2010-10-08 03:13 PM
    Though I personally wouldn't recommend sn0wbreeze, Orby's post is spot on. You can use pkgbackup (I believe that's what it's called) to easily restore your jailbroken apps after the restore.

There is no way to simply upgrade and not lose your jailbreak apps, so I'm not sure what you did last time.

@thecrunked
    OP says in his opening post that it's for an i4.
    We're all just toymakers in the game of life.
    2010-10-08 06:07 PM
    I have an Iphone 4!
    2010-10-09 06:22 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD