Yes a hardware exploit that will be closed by fixing the hole in the hardware and producing only fixed models in future, so only current models will be jailbreakable similar to 3GS old bootrom.

Sorry but I think this is being blown out of all proportion. Chronic Dev Team guys making out like there will NEVER be another jailbreak or something just because they are releasing 2 at a time. It's not the end of the world.

And no I won't be complaining because I don't buy devices that aren't jailbreakabe. Unfortunately this one time the guy who sold me one told me the wrong iOS version.
    2010-10-09 10:15 AM
    While it would be nice to have some kind of assurance that 4.2 won't be able to patch geo's exploit, I'm not holding my breath. Honestly I'm starting to get sick of needing these jailbreaks for various reasons like mywi and unlocks. The fact that we need to hack these devices to death just to get extra features makes me frustrated, and I absolutely hate Apple's big brother attitude regarding jailbreaks and unlocks. For example I have a 3GS contract free locked to AT&T but I have moved to Canada. I had it unlocked fine using ultrasn0w before but I screwed up one day and accidentally updated my baseband. My phone has no contract and Apple and AT&T won't unlock it for me. It's criminal in my opinion. So when I eventually get bored of my 3GS even after the next unlock comes I will not purchase another apple phone ever again, and instead will go with an Android. I'm sick of being jailed by apple and even if I do successfully jailbreak, I'm sick of feeling like a fugitive for doing something that is completely legal. Shame on apple for this crap. Google says don't be evil and they have never done me wrong. They give us this stuff for free and encourage hacking by giving the source code away for free. Apple's domineering attitude will eventually make jailbreaking far too difficult to be practical and everyone posting on this forum will be forced to abandon Apple in favor of more tweakable phones like Androids. Why Apple wants to shoot itself in the foot like this and lose 10 percent of its user base is beyond me.
    Last edited by Kumputer; 2010-10-09 at 08:13 PM. Reason: typo
    2010-10-09 06:56 PM
    There are some negatives to both sides. For the average, uninformed user, I think the application strictness is a bonus for apple devices. I read recently (can't find the link) about a survey of android apps and what kind of personal and location information they share without reason and it was unsettling. The app process helps keep things more secure for the average joe.

As far as losing 10% of their user base is concerned, I doubt that will happen. I'm also pretty sure that the jailbreak community is less than 10% of the total iPhone owner community. Apple has always been closed, proprietary, and guarded. It isn't a new trait they picked up when they started to sell the iPhone. In addition, for every engineer that works for apple, there are at least 10 in the wild who are just as good and willing to work on jailbreaks. The iphone jailbreaks will stop when apple stops making and updating the phone, and probably not a day before.
    2010-10-09 07:04 PM
    Wow what a suprise! I was sure I'd have to sell my phone and buy one that works with my sim card. Now I just have to wait patiently for the unlock on 5.14.02 baseband. YAY!
    2010-10-09 07:08 PM
    There are some negatives to both sides. For the average, uninformed user, I think the application strictness is a bonus for apple devices. I read recently (can't find the link) about a survey of android apps and what kind of personal and location information they share without reason and it was
    unsettling. The app process helps keep things more securefor the average joe.

As far as losing 10% of their user base is concerned, I doubt that will happen. I'm also pretty sure that the jailbreak community is less than 10% of the total iPhone owner community. Apple has always been closed, proprietary, and guarded. It isn't a new trait they picked up when they started to sell the iPhone. In addition, for every engineer that works for apple, there are at least 10 in the wild who are just as good and willing to work on jailbreaks. The iphone jailbreaks will stop when apple stops making and updating the phone, and probably not a day before.
    I have to say I agree with you. Apple of course will always be fighting against the brilliant hackers that hack because they enjoy it, because they want to have full control over something they fairly and legally own. But that's how it's always been. Apple and the iPhone aren't the first here. And even besides that, part of the fun of hacking is accomplishing things with the program or device that the manufacturer didn't intend and finding those exploits. And the harder apple tries to keep people out, the harder people resist. As long as there is an iPhone there will always be people hacking it. To kind of bring this all to a point: even if Geohot releases his exploit and limera1n, and I'm sure he will, he, or someone else will find another exploit for the fifth generation idevices. All of this fuss is really unneccesary.

By the way, I had a droid before I had my iPhone. The freedom of android is really nice and someday it may run as smooth as iOS, but not yet. I loved my droid. I rooted it, flashed four different Roms to it, customized absolutely everything about it and was very happy with it. But it can't compare to my iPhone 4. The reason is apple. Their control freak approach to the iPhone has resulted in an extremely refined product. All of apples engineering genius goes into these things and it really shows .
    2010-10-09 09:59 PM
25 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD