So I have an iPhone 3G S and I've heard a lot about basebands. Can someone explain to me what it is, and what it does?
    2010-10-11 12:58 AM
    Baseband is a separate chip for carriers to communicate and has a secret code in it, once the code is broken, it will be unlocked for all gsm carriers. Only firmware from 3.0 to 4.0.2 can be unlocked by Ultrasn0w.
    2010-10-11 01:02 AM
    Baseband is a separate chip for carriers to communicate and has a secret code in it, once the code is broken, it will be unlocked for all gsm carriers. Only firmware from 3.0 to 4.0.2 can be unlocked by Ultrasn0w.
    So if I'm not planning on unlocking my phone do I need to even worry about it?
    2010-10-11 01:12 AM
    No, it only matters if you want to unlock

If you plan to sell the phone someday then its worth worrying about. Otherwise no need.
    2010-10-11 01:14 AM
    No, it only matters if you want to unlock

If you plan to sell the phone someday then its worth worrying about. Otherwise no need.
    Awesome. I was about to start a thread asking about this but figured I'd search the forums first.

I will sell my iPhone 4 at some point. If the new iphone next summer is worth the upgrade and AT&T lets me, I'll sell my current one and upgrade. If not, then I'll wait for the 2012 model to sell this one.

Since selling my phone is so far away, do I need to worry about basebands right now?

Also, I know tinyumbrella is used to preserve basebands or something like that. Is that a program run on the computer, or on the phone?
    2010-10-12 02:04 PM
    You can gamble and not worry about it or just not upgrade the baseband until the unlock is available for it.

Tinyumbrella is a computer program that runs during the restore and prevents the baseband from being updated (as well as saves your SHSH hashes and signs firmware for you).

I guess in general, it's so easy to not update the baseband why even risk it?
    2010-10-12 02:19 PM
    Oh good. Because the sim I'm using in the phone is currently the one locked onto the phone so no need for me to worry about baseband. :-)
    2010-12-01 09:03 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD