I bought a broken 3G iPhone (16 Giga) on eBay from Germany.
    The screen was smashed then I replaced it with a new one.
    The phone was "quite OK" after that but the SIM of local company were not accepted. I tried to unlock it but, before that, I thought to upgrade the firmware (there was the 2.2.1 in it) by iTunes (10). The upgrade started and, apparently, finished without any error message but, after the reboot, all I can have is the Apple logo followed by a blank screen (sometimes white, sometimes white with vertical lines, sometimes yellow... and so on).
    If I plug to iTunes, it isn't recognised. To obtain that I have to swith in DFU mode but, also in this way, I can't have a working restore without error message with different error code (20000, 2002, 24, etc. etc.).
    In addition to those info, I can say that when in DFU mode the phone is recognised by iTunes but the summary info of device doesn't show which firmware version is installed and neither the disk capacity...
    What can I do to fix this "bad" fault?
    Please, help me... thanks
    2010-10-15 02:32 PM
    I bought a broken 3G iPhone (16 Giga) on eBay from Germany.
    The screen was smashed then I replaced it with a new one.
    The phone was "quite OK" after that but the SIM of local company were not accepted. I tried to unlock it but, before that, I thought to upgrade the firmware (there was the 2.2.1 in it) by iTunes (10). The upgrade started and, apparently, finished without any error message but, after the reboot, all I can have is the Apple logo followed by a blank screen (sometimes white, sometimes white with vertical lines, sometimes yellow... and so on).
    If I plug to iTunes, it isn't recognised. To obtain that I have to swith in DFU mode but, also in this way, I can't have a working restore without error message with different error code (20000, 2002, 24, etc. etc.).
    In addition to those info, I can say that when in DFU mode the phone is recognised by iTunes but the summary info of device doesn't show which firmware version is installed and neither the disk capacity...
    What can I do to fix this "bad" fault?
    Please, help me... thanks
    There might be a couple different fixes. What iOS are you trying to upgrade to?

A fix to bypass the errors might be using iREB from iH8sn0w.com | Jailbreak your iPod touches and iPhones
    Run the iREB program and follow the on-screen instructions with your phone plugged in and iTunes in the background. You should be able to restore your phone to a jail broke iOS of your choice from there (maybe... hopefully...)
    2010-10-15 04:23 PM
    There might be a couple different fixes. What iOS are you trying to upgrade to?
    I really don't know... as I wrote, the iPhone before the upgrade try by iTunes had 2.2.1... iTunes tried to install, I think, FW 4.1 . Now I don't know which iOS version to install.
    I downloaded the one requested by iREB (3.1.2) and if I follow all directions by iREB and all seems to finish OK, nothing happens e the iPhone remains in the same fault...

A fix to bypass the errors might be using iREB from iH8sn0w.com | Jailbreak your iPod touches and iPhones
    Run the iREB program and follow the on-screen instructions with your phone plugged in and iTunes in the background. You should be able to restore your phone to a jail broke iOS of your choice from there (maybe... hopefully...)
    I did it so, but... nothing fixed.
    Any other tips?

TIA
    2010-10-15 05:48 PM
    I really don't know... as I wrote, the iPhone before the upgrade try by iTunes had 2.2.1... iTunes tried to install, I think, FW 4.1 . Now I don't know which iOS version to install.
    I downloaded the one requested by iREB (3.1.2) and if I follow all directions by iREB and all seems to finish OK, nothing happens e the iPhone remains in the same fault...

I did it so, but... nothing fixed.
    Any other tips?

TIA
    Maybe I misunderstood you. When you initially said that you had upgraded the iPhone from 2.2.1, were you attempting a jailbreak upgrade of the firmware or were you just doing a normal firmware upgrade?

All iREB will do is clear errors if you get errors while attempting a restore (as I understood you to be having in your initial post).

3.1.2 isn't a bad firmware to restore to, but I'm not certain the best way to go about it anymore, you can probably use Redsn0w though. If you decide on 4.1 you'll need to decide if you need the phone unlocked or not (so you can use a carrier other than AT&T). If you want it jailbroken and not care if it's locked, I think you can use Redsn0w, if you want it jailbroken and unlocked you can use Sn0wbreeze.

If I'm getting any of this wrong, I'm sure someone will be able come around and clarify.

Its also possible that your phone is... broken. Vertical lines and a yellow screen doesn't sound too healthy.
    2010-10-15 10:50 PM
    Maybe I misunderstood you. When you initially said that you had upgraded the iPhone from 2.2.1, were you attempting a jailbreak upgrade of the firmware or were you just doing a normal firmware upgrade?
    Sorry if I was not clear in explain what happened...
    The iPhone was in 2.2.1 and I think it was also jailbreaked because during the boot there was the "pineapple" logo instead of the apple... but was still locked because it "doesn't like" my SIM (the message was "SIM not valid") so my intention was to upgrade to a new firmware version and then re-jailbreak and unlock it.
    I plugged the phone to iTunes. It says "There is a new firmware version available do you want to uprade your iPhone?".
    I accepted... but the upgrade process wasn't smooth. At the end the was a message error. I unplugged the phone and did a reboot...
    All I can see is the apple logo and a white screen. nothing else.
    If I try in DFU mode, happen the same but at every try the error code changes (20000, 2002, 1015 and so on...).

All iREB will do is clear errors if you get errors while attempting a restore (as I understood you to be having in your initial post).
    I tried iREB, the process arrives to the end but I haven't got the message about waiting for a custom firmware (as I have seen in some guides...).

3.1.2 isn't a bad firmware to restore to, but I'm not certain the best way to go about it anymore, you can probably use Redsn0w though. If you decide on 4.1 you'll need to decide if you need the phone unlocked or not (so you can use a carrier other than AT&T). If you want it jailbroken and not care if it's locked, I think you can use Redsn0w, if you want it jailbroken and unlocked you can use Sn0wbreeze.
    As I want jailbroken and unlock, I did a try also with sn0wbreeze... I can see the snowbreeze logo followed sometimes by a black screen and sometime by a white screen...
    If I put in DFU I can see the snowbreeze picture with the USB plug but nothing else happens...

I'm desperate and I don't know what else try... :-(

If I'm getting any of this wrong, I'm sure someone will be able come around and clarify.

Its also possible that your phone is... broken. Vertical lines and a yellow screen doesn't sound too healthy.[/QUOTE]
    2010-10-16 11:43 PM
    You have a 2g iphone , right ?
    2010-10-16 11:55 PM
    You have a 2g iphone , right ?
    In my first post I wrote I have a 3G phone...
    2010-10-17 01:27 AM
    Sorry if I was not clear in explain what happened...
    The iPhone was in 2.2.1 and I think it was also jailbreaked because during the boot there was the "pineapple" logo instead of the apple... but was still locked because it "doesn't like" my SIM (the message was "SIM not valid") so my intention was to upgrade to a new firmware version and then re-jailbreak and unlock it.
    I plugged the phone to iTunes. It says "There is a new firmware version available do you want to uprade your iPhone?".
    I accepted... but the upgrade process wasn't smooth. At the end the was a message error. I unplugged the phone and did a reboot...
    All I can see is the apple logo and a white screen. nothing else.
    If I try in DFU mode, happen the same but at every try the error code changes (20000, 2002, 1015 and so on...).
    Ah, understood. You probably inadvertently started upgrading to 4.1. I'm not sure how far it got before the phone crashed on you, but it might be the case that you won't be able to unlock the phone right now if you ever get it working and jailbroken.

I tried iREB, the process arrives to the end but I haven't got the message about waiting for a custom firmware (as I have seen in some guides...).
    You don't always get the "waiting for a custom firmware" message... or at least, I haven't always gotten it. When I've run it in the past sometimes I got it sometimes I didn't.

As I want jailbroken and unlock, I did a try also with sn0wbreeze... I can see the snowbreeze logo followed sometimes by a black screen and sometime by a white screen...
    If I put in DFU I can see the snowbreeze picture with the USB plug but nothing else happens...
    hmm... Does iTunes recognize the phone at all after you run sn0wbreeze? Do you have an AT&T sim?

I'm desperate and I don't know what else try... :-(
    Yeah, sorting this out can drive you crazy.
    2010-10-18 04:44 PM
    Ah, understood. You probably inadvertently started upgrading to 4.1. I'm not sure how far it got before the phone crashed on you, but it might be the case that you won't be able to unlock the phone right now if you ever get it working and jailbroken.
    I'm afraid about that...
    Yesterday, I did hundreds attempts and, in two of them, I had "temporarly" results.
    The first time, using redsnOw 0.9.4, I obtained a full reboot with all the default icons/apps working. I did a check and the info page stated there was 3.1.2 (7D11) firmware and a 5.1.something baseband.
    Happy of that, I tried to switch off the phone but the screen hung with the spinning wheel on a black background. I "forced" the switchoff by pressing Power and Home buttons.
    When I tried a reboot, the phone returned to the fault state (white screen after apple's logo and nothing else).
    Other hundreds attempts and a new "partial" result brings the phone to a "working" condition ("only emergency call" and SIM non recognised as a valid one... and no other operative functions available).
    Of course that's was not what I would have want and did a new "restore" try, but until now... no more result.
    The phone reboot and, after the apple's logo, all I can see is a white screen...
    hmm... Does iTunes recognize the phone at all after you run sn0wbreeze? Do you have an AT&T sim?
    Unfortunately not. No AT&T sim (not present locally as cellular company).
    2010-10-19 11:10 AM
    UP
    Please, any help?
    2010-10-22 10:46 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD