User Tag List

Keep your SHSH blobs backed up using tinyumbrella, but don't worry too much about them at present, the good times are here at present, all firmwares can jailbroken and will be able to be for the future for your phone. The only issue is that future firmware may be tethered jailbreaks so you might need to roll back your firmware to an untethered version....

That link is out of date, it doesn't reflect the new redsnow or pwnagetool which have been released by the dev team in the last week or so.

Limerain will need updating for 4.2 so you will need to wait for the update before applying it, the one you've got there is for 4.1 and lower (to 4.0).

BTW, I take it you don't require an unlock?
    Last edited by eyeRobot; 2010-11-08 at 09:51 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    2010-11-08 09:51 AM
    Keep your SHSH blobs backed up using tinyumbrella, but don't worry too much about them at present, the good times are here at present, all firmwares can jailbroken and will be able to be for the future for your phone. The only issue is that future firmware may be tethered jailbreaks so you might need to roll back your firmware to an untethered version....

That link is out of date, it doesn't reflect the new redsnow or pwnagetool which have been released by the dev team in the last week or so.

Limerain will need updating for 4.2 so you will need to wait for the update before applying it, the one you've got there is for 4.1 and lower (to 4.0).

BTW, I take it you don't require an unlock?
    Thanks for the LimeRa1n advice. I didn't even thank about that but thought I read recently that the current version has been used to JB the 4.2 GM release and yeah I'm not unlocked and have no foreseeable need to be. I've recently been seeing the term "tethered jailbreak" and am kinda confused as to what exactly that is.
    2010-11-08 10:07 AM
    A new exploit needs to be used in conjuction with each firmware release that has been patched by apple otherwise the jailbreak will be tethered. The geohot bootrom exploit can never be patched but limerain uses this in conjunction with an exploit from comex to make it untethered and it's this part which can be patched by apple.

I believe Comex has plenty more of these exploits up his sleeves, but the dev teams may decide to save them if the releases come out thick and fast.

A tethered jailbreak will result in you needing to rejailbreak your phone after every power off.
    2010-11-08 10:23 AM
    A new exploit needs to be used in conjuction with each firmware release that has been patched by apple otherwise the jailbreak will be tethered. The geohot bootrom exploit can never be patched but limerain uses this in conjunction with an exploit from comex to make it untethered and it's this part which can be patched by apple.

I believe Comex has plenty more of these exploits up his sleeves, but the dev teams may decide to save them if the releases come out thick and fast.

A tethered jailbreak will result in you needing to rejailbreak your phone after every power off.
    So from the sounds of it to me it would be wiser for most to stick with a older firmware having a untethered jb than to update firmware and use a tethered jb if that's the only one out. I believe the shatter exploit is different than the one LimeRa1n uses so hopefully if Apple does patch the one used there they'll be able to release a new jailbreak with the other exploit.

I guess the ultimate jailbreak goal would be one that allows you to somehow update the firmware via iTunes or some other way while simultaneously preserving your current jailbreak and also keeping everything compatible. Seems far fetched but who knows if it could ultimately be done one day.
    2010-11-08 10:53 AM
    You are slowly dragging me out of my depth....

Definately stick with other firmware which is untethered rather than move to a new tethered one. However, it sounds like 4.2 jb will be untethered (it will be an update to GP/LR).

Shatter is another bootrom exploit which can be used when apple fix the geohot limerain exploit with the next generation of devices (requires hardware changes).

What you describe in your last paragraph is close to what pwnagetool does for you. once you are jailbroken with pwnagetool just keep waiting for their updates and you'll keep your baseband and jailbreak - you will just need to restore you jailbroken apps.
    2010-11-08 11:59 AM
    You are slowly dragging me out of my depth....

Definately stick with other firmware which is untethered rather than move to a new tethered one. However, it sounds like 4.2 jb will be untethered (it will be an update to GP/LR).

Shatter is another bootrom exploit which can be used when apple fix the geohot limerain exploit with the next generation of devices (requires hardware changes).

What you describe in your last paragraph is close to what pwnagetool does for you. once you are jailbroken with pwnagetool just keep waiting for their updates and you'll keep your baseband and jailbreak - you will just need to restore you jailbroken apps.
    So then could explain how you go about updating firmware on a phone jailbroken with pwnagetool and what are the advantages/disadvantages of pwnagetool vs limera1n?
    2010-11-08 12:12 PM
    ups

yeow202 thanks for step by step instructions. Everything worked out well.
    I preserved baseband 1.59.00 and my software is 4.1
    The only problem I have is that I can't jailbreak my phone. I've tried limera1n and greenpois0n. Any idea what have I done wrong?
    Thanks again
    Last edited by marunio_1; 2010-11-08 at 10:54 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    2010-11-08 10:54 PM
    After your restore, did you set up as a new iphone. Limera1n should work, once you have Make it ra1n, it will ask you to hold both the button and then release the Power button. You will get a white icon, click on it and install from the launcher. If no cydia icon present, reboots your iphone.
    2010-11-08 11:47 PM
    Open tinyumbrella and click "kick my device out of restore mode"
    2010-11-08 11:57 PM
    I didn't set up new iPhone!
    What can I do now???
    I'm so stupid!

Can I repeat whole process again?
    I mean restore etc. ?
    Last edited by marunio_1; 2010-11-09 at 12:07 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    2010-11-09 12:07 AM
    You should setup as a new iphone
    Don't worry, you are not the only person who has to do it again.
    Last edited by iYeow; 2010-11-09 at 12:33 AM.
    2010-11-09 12:24 AM
    So what will I do now?
    2010-11-09 08:29 AM
    I've tried to restore again but iTunes is throwing an error. Is there any way to repeat this process or do I have to wait for new 4.2 software and jailbreak?
    2010-11-09 08:36 AM
    What error are you getting?

You should get error 1004, use exit recovery from TU
    Last edited by iYeow; 2010-11-09 at 08:46 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    2010-11-09 08:46 AM
    Try a Pwnagetool custom firmware. No need to jailbreak after the restore.
    2010-11-09 09:15 AM
    yeow202 i've repeated whole process again and everything went well. I have a cydia on my phone. Thank you so much for all your help. You are star.
    2010-11-09 10:13 AM
36 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD