User Tag List

I currently have my iPhone 4 (running 4.0.1) jailbroken, and I want to know what the procedure is to upgrade my iOS to 4.1 while keeping my iPhone jailbroken.

Do I have to restore the phone to plain vanilla 4.1 via iTunes, then jailbreak it using limera1n once I've done that, or I can somehow directly upgrade to 4.1 so that I don't have to resync everything and reinstall all of my Cydia apps?

Please advise. Thanks!
    2010-10-16 10:36 PM
    i'm looking for same info. I have all the tools, just want to get a clear idea of what to expect and what the best process is.
    2010-10-17 11:06 PM
    Use Pkgbackup or Aptbackup to back up your stuffs, sync your iphone with Itunes after the backup on your iphone, this way it will transfer the backup file as a contact in your contact book of your pc.
    If all the restore and jailbreaking is done, install pkgbackup and hit restore.
    2010-10-17 11:28 PM
    Hi Guys,
    I have iPhone 4 running on iOS 4.0.1 jailbroken with jailbreakme.com and I never saved my SHSH in Cydia on time so I know I will not be able to preserve my baseband but the problem I have is that I can't update my iPhone with iTunes at all. Every time I'm trying to update, iTunes is downloading software and right at the end error is coming up "Network connection has time out".
    Can anyone help me please???
    What can I do to update my iPhone to 4.1?
    2010-11-05 11:27 PM
    You can upgrade to 4.1 and preserve your baseband on an iPhone 4 by running TinyUmbrella's TSS server while restoring to 4.1.

The error I'm not sure about. But if you really do need an unlock, attempt your upgrade with the TSS server.

I can only suggest making sure your iTunes is up to date to the newest version, and make sure if you edited your host file to change it back.
    Last edited by i.Annie; 2010-11-05 at 11:33 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    2010-11-05 11:33 PM
    Thanks for your advice Anniex423, I did reinstalled iTunes but this didn't help. I never changed my host files. Same problem appeared on the iTunes "There was a problem downloading the software, this network connection timed out. Make sure ypu network settings are correct and your network is active."
    I appreciate your help Anniex423. If anyone can help me with my problem please let me know. All I want is to update my software to 4.1 and wipe off jailbreak.
    Thanks again for all your help.

ORIGINAL MESSAGE
    Hi Guys,
    I have iPhone 4 running on iOS 4.0.1 jailbroken with jailbreakme.com and I never saved my SHSH in Cydia on time so I know I will not be able to preserve my baseband but the problem I have is that I can't update my iPhone with iTunes at all THIS message coming up=>> "There was a problem downloading the software, this network connection timed out. Make sure ypu network settings are correct and your network is active."
    2010-11-07 12:28 AM
    You can download your firmware from here : iClarified - iPhone - Where To Download iPhone Firmware Files From
    You can use Tiny Umbrella to restore to 4.1 to preserve your baseband by running Tss Server.
    2010-11-07 12:40 AM
    Thanks yeow202.
    I have downloaded restore for iPhone 4 4.1, and also TinyUmbrella.
    Can you please give me step by step instructions what to do with them as I have no clue.
    Sorry for being a pain.
    Appreciated all your help.
    2010-11-07 11:44 PM
    Plug your iphone in
    Run tiny umbrella and click save shsh
    You will see that the 4.1 shsh blogs in Tiny Umbrella, highlight it.
    Now Start Tss Server and do the Shift + Restore to stock 4.1 ipsw
    Once restored you will be at 4.1 but the baseband remains what you had before.
    2010-11-08 12:48 AM
    Plug your iphone in
    Run tiny umbrella and click save shsh
    You will see that the 4.1 shsh blogs in Tiny Umbrella, highlight it.
    Now Start Tss Server and do the Shift + Restore to stock 4.1 ipsw
    Once restored you will be at 4.1 but the baseband remains what you had before.
    So i just did this running 4.0 going to 4.1 shsh blobs saved on my computer and cydia... but now my iphone is not jailbroken anymore with 4.1 ios.
    my baseband is 05.14.02 - 6.4_M3S2...
    I used tiny ubrellas tss server also! please tell me i can re-jailbreak??

I checked tiny umbrella and it says my device can safely be jailbroken, but i dont see cydia anywhere??? please help...

Sorry for the double post, but i need help.. thanks
    Last edited by downtrodn; 2010-11-08 at 03:52 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    2010-11-08 03:52 AM
    You just did a restore, a restore will wipe out the jailbreak, you can jailbreak it with Limera1n or GreenPoison.
    Using tiny umbrella , you can only preserve baseband if you have iphone 4, not a 3gs.
    I hope you are with official carrier, otherwise you will have to wait for unlock.
    Last edited by iYeow; 2010-11-08 at 04:02 AM.
    2010-11-08 04:00 AM
    You just did a restore, a restore will wipe out the jailbreak, you can jailbreak it with Limera1n or GreenPoison.
    Using tiny umbrella , you can only preserve baseband if you have iphone 4, not a 3gs.
    I hope you are with official carrier, otherwise you will have to wait for unlock.
    Thanks for the reply. i am on AT&T. i have my blobs stored on my computer. for 4.1.
    I have a 3gs with the new boot rom..can i still jailbreak? thanks
    2010-11-08 04:03 AM
    Yes, with Limera1n at 4.1,
    2010-11-08 04:05 AM
    Yes, with Limera1n at 4.1,
    i feel stupid, but how do i use it?
    downloaded
    ran it
    now itunes wants me to restore.
    do i need to open tiny umbrella or anything special? thanks again
    2010-11-08 04:08 AM
    Go to limera1n and click on Limera1n, make it rain.

You don't need to restore.
    Last edited by iYeow; 2010-11-08 at 04:15 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    2010-11-08 04:15 AM
    I haven't see this particular question answered but it's similar to the OP's so here it goes.

I have a iPhone 4 with 4.0.1 still and have been trying to find out if it's best to update to 4.1 prior to 4.2 then rejailbreak with LimeRa1n when 4.2 is out or go straight from 4.0.1 to 4.2? I have tiny umbrella and PkgBackup and have ran both in preparation for the release of 4.2.
    2010-11-08 07:59 AM
    It's up to you. I don't know what 4.2 is bring to the show, but I doubt it's much.

The JB tools will probably be released shortly after the firmware is released so you should be able to go to 4.2 a few hours/days after it's released.

If I was you, I would wait for 4.2 to be released and save the hassle of doing a restore from backup if you are planning on going to 4.2 anyway in a week.

Pwnagetool seems the best way to upgrade to me, wait for that to be updated and go with that.
    2010-11-08 08:57 AM
    It's up to you. I don't know what 4.2 is bring to the show, but I doubt it's much.

The JB tools will probably be released shortly after the firmware is released so you should be able to go to 4.2 a few hours/days after it's released.

If I was you, I would wait for 4.2 to be released and save the hassle of doing a restore from backup if you are planning on going to 4.2 anyway in a week.

Pwnagetool seems the best way to upgrade to me, wait for that to be updated and go with that.
    From what I've read Pwnagetool hasn't worked on 4.0 and higher yet so I'm not gonna hold my breath for it. The main reason I'm looking forward to 4.2 is for AirPlay since I have a Apple TV 2 and it would be just another feature for it and also for the supposed battery life increase and AT&T carrier update. I'm probably just gonna wait until successful jailbreaks have been reported with LimeRa1n with 4.2 then do it.
    2010-11-08 09:11 AM
    I think that's best (wait for 4.2)

However, Pwnagetool works perfectly (on 4.1) so I don't know what you've been reading about it, but it's wrong.
    2010-11-08 09:20 AM
    I think that's best (wait for 4.2)

However, Pwnagetool works perfectly (on 4.1) so I don't know what you've been reading about it, but it's wrong.
    I was just going by the jailbreak table here iphone jailbreak table | iPhone News, Help and Guides. What was confusing me was about the signed SHSH stuff by Apple for 4.0.1 but I guess it doesn't matter if I go straight to 4.2. I already have the zip file for LimeRa1n and have read through the guides for it so I'll probably just stick to it unless a easier way comes out. At some point if more functionality is added to the Apple TV 2 through jailbreaking I'd consider doing that also.
    2010-11-08 09:29 AM
36 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD