Yes I'm somewhat new to it, but I'm not completely clueless; I apologize for my questions, I did search the forum but found answers scattered everywhere, but I find it more suitable to get them all answered in one topic...

Well I bought my first iphone 4 on release date and used jailbreakme.com to jailbreak my phone, then waited about 24 hours for it to be unlocked.

Well a week ago I dropped and broke my iPhone, brought it into Apple and exchanged it. They gave me a new iPhone on the spot but it had firmware 4.0.2 with baseband 1.59.00

Coming from a jailbreak that was as simple as sliding a bar, should I use limera1n to jailbreak this time? If yes how reliable is it? Is my baseband going to work and how do I 'unlock' my phone? Does 'unlocking' give me access to Cydia repos and ********** or is 'unlocking' just giving me access to other carriers? I really don't want to brick my phone and drive 30min to the Apple store again.

Also, should I use tinyumbrella to upgrade to 4.1 to preserve my baseband or can we expect a jailbreak for the newer basebands sometime soon?
    2010-10-19 02:43 AM
    Ok you're a little confused over what is what.

Firmware is what needs to be jailbroken. Firmware = 4.0, 4.0.2, 4.1 etc

Baseband relates only to unlocking the phone. Unlocking is a seperate process after jailbreaking which allows the phone to be used on other carriers.

If you don't need to unlock you can just go straight up to 4.1 and jailbreak. If you do need to unlock you can use the TinyUmbrella trick to upgrade to 4.1 and keep your baseband so it can also be unlocked as well as jailbroken.

Jailbreaking gives you access to Cydia and the additional repos. Unlocking only gives you the ability to use your phone on any carrier.

The new baseband will be unlocked when 4.2 comes out, but possibly not for iPhone 4. They have only announced that the 3G/3GS baseband crash has been found and is being worked on.

EDIT - additionally, at 4.0.2 you can only use limera1n to jailbreak at present. At 4.1 you can use limera1n or GreenPois0n. Some people have no issues with limera1n, others do. Can't really say how reliable it is or not.

Also you could wait for the new PwnageTool/sn0wbreeze which will probably be more stable (probably).
    Last edited by bellyfrog; 2010-10-19 at 03:01 AM.
    2010-10-19 02:59 AM
    Does 'unlocking' give me access to Cydia repos and **********
    Talk about cracked apps/warez/piracy is not allowed.
    [CENTER][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/CENTER]
    2010-10-19 03:05 AM
    So it is possible to use iTunes to upgrade to 4.1 and jailbreak with limera1n etc? What are the advantages of upgrading basebands?

the 4.1 update appeals to me because of the HDR camera, but I might use tinyumbrella regardless.
    2010-10-19 03:13 AM
    use this method to update to 4.1 and preserve the baseband....

download the 4.1 ipsw, open tinyumbrella, start the TSS server (make sure it says TSS server accepting connections before proceeding), open iTunes and click shift+restore (pc) or option+restore (mac) and point iTunes at your 4.1 ipsw, when the restore is almost complete it will give you a 1004 error, use tinyumbrella to kick the device out of recovery, you will be on 4.1 with the 1.59.00 baseband, use greenpois0n to jailbreak and install ultrasn0w from cydia to unlock
    2010-10-19 03:15 AM
    There is no advantage to upgrading baseband as far as I know. In fact I think the only reason Apple updates the baseband is to make it harder for people to unlock their phones.

You're certainly better off preserving the baseband since if you decide to sell the phone or if you decide to use a different carrier the option is still there to unlock it.
    2010-10-19 03:23 AM
    There is no advantage to upgrading baseband as far as I know. In fact I think the only reason Apple updates the baseband is to make it harder for people to unlock their phones.

You're certainly better off preserving the baseband since if you decide to sell the phone or if you decide to use a different carrier the option is still there to unlock it.

yep that's exactly what I plan on doing, thanks for the advice.

thanks to you too j3st3r3

use this method to update to 4.1 and preserve the baseband....

download the 4.1 ipsw, open tinyumbrella, start the TSS server (make sure it says TSS server accepting connections before proceeding), open iTunes and click shift+restore (pc) or option+restore (mac) and point iTunes at your 4.1 ipsw, when the restore is almost complete it will give you a 1004 error, use tinyumbrella to kick the device out of recovery, you will be on 4.1 with the 1.59.00 baseband, use greenpois0n to jailbreak and install ultrasn0w from cydia to unlock
    Well I just tried it but instead of a 1004 error I got 3002.
    Last edited by ntegra; 2010-10-19 at 03:58 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    2010-10-19 03:58 AM
    you need to have tinyumbrella save your 4.1 shsh's first, then try the restore, this should take care of the 3002 error
    2010-10-19 04:08 AM
    you need to have tinyumbrella save your 4.1 shsh's first, then try the restore, this should take care of the 3002 error
    putting it into DFU mode prior to restoring with iTunes fixed it.
    2010-10-19 04:13 AM
    glad you got it working
    2010-10-19 05:49 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD
We have updated our Privacy Policy and Terms & Conditions. Please check them out.