Hey guys I'm new to the iPhone jailbreak world and I have come to notice I am consistently 10mb or below in free memory I have just installed free memory and while it works soon as I go to another app its right back to 10 and below. Should I list all the cydia apps I'm using for better trouble shooting? I love my mods but clearly I am having a conflict of sorts. Thanks I am on 4.1 with a 3G
    2010-10-19 06:35 PM
    Not too sure what the normal amount of free memory for a 3G is on 4.1, but it sounds pretty normal for a 3G to me.
    2010-10-19 06:45 PM
    hmm ok.. i see some people say that get 50 + so im just making sure.. seems like i get a lag in some games and when im dowloading cydia or other places it seems to drop to like 4-6mb

is there anything file wise i neeed to tweak? anything i should remove to help speed my iphone up.. im just trying to master the perfect setup so i can work on my wifes phone next
    2010-10-19 07:16 PM
    Not sure. All I know is 4.0 and up are pretty laggy on a 3G even without being jailbroken, so that just adds to it.
    2010-10-19 07:22 PM
    How much memory do you have with no apps open? Back on my 3G, I had about ~48 MB of free space.

If you really want to speed up your phone, remove Winterboard and keep the number of installed springboard tweaks to a minimum. You can also try deleting unused language packs and daemons (I know there's a couple of posts on this forum about it); I did this but couldn't tell the difference, but that could've been just me. If you remove winterboard, you can install BossPaper for custom wallpaper so you're phone doesn't look so boring; BossPaper has way better performance management and won't run in the background while you're using apps.

Do you have multitasking, homescreen wallpaper and all the special iOS4 features enabled? This will also cause your phone to slow down.
    2010-10-19 11:49 PM
    Ok yes I have winterboard but not using it. Just though I had to when all apps closed it's still very low on mem. I do have the muli task up but isn't that better them the 3rd party one? I'll work on the packages. I have 5 icon dock lock info and sbsettings runnin as well
    2010-10-20 12:06 AM
    As someone else posted, remove Lang Packs and Daemons and remove Winterboard!!! Disable ur Apple multitasking and get Multifl0w for multitasking. Multifl0w is actually easier on ur phone than Apples multitasking. My 3G used to run between 40-50MB with multiflow and a WB theme but WB definitely slows it down. One last thing that helps is getting NoSpot which disables the Spotlight function. Supposedly this is a major memory hog!

Those other apps u listed shouldn't be doing much to ur memory.
    2010-10-20 12:25 AM
    Ok yes I have winterboard but not using it. Just though I had to when all apps closed it's still very low on mem. I do have the muli task up but isn't that better them the 3rd party one? I'll work on the packages. I have 5 icon dock lock info and sbsettings runnin as well
    If you aren't using Winterboard, remove it. It'll definitely ease the load on your phone.

The 3G wasn't meant to have multitasking so it doesn't perform very well with it. You can just install Backgrounder which will install true multitasking that's easier to manage with the help of multifl0w or just SBSetting's process manager.

Lockinfo will slow you down a tad but not too much; I had it installed as well on my old 3G. SBSettings is fine, you can keep that.
    2010-10-20 12:30 AM
    now which should i use? Backgrounder or multiflow ? last time i tried backgrounder it didnt work for 4.1

also how do i disable the 4.1 multi tasking? do i have to re jailbreak it?

any other tweaks or apps i should look at?
    2010-10-20 12:58 AM
    You will use Multifl0w in conjunction with Backgrounder.

To disable default multitasking, you need to either SSH (eg. Iphone Explorer for PC or Mac) into ur phone from a computer or use iFile from Cydia. Go to /Services/Library/Core Services/Springboard.app and find the N82AP.plist file. Open this file and set multitasking to ='false' instead of 'true.'. Reboot and multitasking will be gone
    2010-10-20 01:16 AM
    i am having a issue getting shh to connet via my pc.. any ideas what could b e wrong? i have all the correct info in and the shh in on via sbsetting on my iphone but still no connection? i even restarted my modem and wifi connections
    2010-10-20 06:00 PM
    What SSH program r u using? I prefer iPhone Explorer: http://www.macroplant.com/iphoneexplorer/

I've used several different SSH programs with complex settings and still had issues. iPhone Explorer is USB based and is quick and easy...no setup required. BTW, you might need afc2add from cydia to access ur root files.

Lastly, I gave u an incorrect directory! The first directory is /System not /Services! Not sure why I typed that!!!

Email me for other RAM increase tips. I can't post the links on ModMyI! [email protected]
    2010-10-20 06:53 PM
    @dotFIVE,
    you ran the Freedom Script app, right? How'd that workout for u? I was gonna give mrmadison that info if he's interested.
    2010-10-20 06:58 PM
    Yep, I ran it. I deleted pretty much everything except for the carrier files because I heard someone had issues of no service afterward, or something like that. It worked flawlessly for me though.
    2010-10-20 11:04 PM
    Yes, that carrier person was me!!! I sent mrmadison the info and the .deb file for freedom if he's willing to try it. I guess we'll see!
    2010-10-20 11:27 PM
    Ahh I see, haha. Did you ever find out what the problem was?
    2010-10-21 12:27 AM
    I looked in his script and it is set to delete AT&T! Freedom Script was originally made outside the U.S. and PhanaticD supposedly reworked it for the U.S. but he must have overlooked the carriers it was deleting.
    2010-10-21 04:37 AM
    You can use sebsetting and free up your memory from the processor. If it goes down to 10 is normal if you are playing games, or if you open two apps running, it will go to 10 mb left or less.
    Don't you wish you could add more ram into the iphone, unfortunately you can't do that like a computer.
    2010-10-21 04:51 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD