This has gotten confusing to me. I have an iPhone 4 on 4.01. It was jailbroken with jailbreakme.com. I use Windows 7. I have been waiting for sn0wbreeze 2.1 in order to preserve the unlock availability for possible future use of a different carrier. Is there a way to avoid re-installation of my many Cydia apps after upgrading to 4.1? I own PkgBackup. I assume that after I jailbreak, I go to Cydia and install PkgBackup and then just use it to install everything. If I don't restore from a previous backup, how will PkgBackup know what to restore? I thought that the PkgBackup details were stored in the backup. Can I just upgrade to a custom ipsw without "starting over" with cydia apps, homescreen Safari links, etc? Help, please. Thank you in advance.
    2010-10-24 04:42 PM
    pkgbackup saves the "log" as a contact so if after restoring your device you sync contacts THEN you can use pkgbackup
    a custom fw would work but it requires similar or more effort to do and you don't get all your settings, contacts and game saves restored.
    Being an i can be a lot of pressure. you have to live right up to the small point.
    2010-10-24 04:59 PM
    Thanks, Seann33uk. After "re-jailbreaking", should I install PkgBackup from Cydia before I sync, or does the order not matter?
    2010-10-24 05:15 PM
    It doesn't matter if you sync firstvor install pkg so long as you have the backup info on your device when you run the app.
    Being an i can be a lot of pressure. you have to live right up to the small point.
    2010-10-26 12:46 AM
    You can just upgrade to 4.1 and preserve the baseband with TinyUmbrella (Google it, first link). Running the TSS server during your shift+restore to a stock 4.1 ipsw (get if at felixbruns.de) and you'll be able to preserve the baseband. Then jailbreak it with Limera1n or Greenpois0n. Doesn't matter which one, it's your choice.

Pkgbackup will only work if you restore from back up.
    2010-10-26 12:49 AM
    You can just upgrade to 4.1 and preserve the baseband with TinyUmbrella (Google it, first link). Running the TSS server during your shift+restore to a stock 4.1 ipsw (get if at felixbruns.de) and you'll be able to preserve the baseband. Then jailbreak it with Limera1n or Greenpois0n. Doesn't matter which one, it's your choice.

Pkgbackup will only work if you restore from back up.
    This seems to conflict with prior information that I was given. If PkgBackup saves everything in my contact list, why do I have to restore from backup? My current contact list (from yahoo mail) should have all needed Cydia info if I have synced just prior to the update.
    2010-10-26 02:34 PM
    Pkgbackup doesn't save your contacts list. It saves your Cydia packages. Your contacts aren't Cydia related.

I've used Pkgbackup. When I don't restore from back up, it tells me I have no back up to restore to. When I do restore from back up, it restores all my Cydia installations.

You can try not restoring from
    backup if you want. Then sync your Yahoo mail contacts. Then see if all your Cydia info comes back. I doubt it tho.
    Last edited by i.Annie; 2010-10-26 at 05:21 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    2010-10-26 05:21 PM
    Pkgbackup doesn't save your contacts list. It saves your Cydia packages. Your contacts aren't Cydia related.

I've used Pkgbackup. When I don't restore from back up, it tells me I have no back up to restore to. When I do restore from back up, it restores all my Cydia installations.

You can try not restoring from
    backup if you want. Then sync your Yahoo mail contacts. Then see if all your Cydia info comes back. I doubt it tho.
    I was told that PkgBackup saves my Cydia sources and apps in with my contacts lists. I know that my contacts are not Cydia related. I thought that I just sync my contacts list, and that I will be able to restore with PkgBackup. I also thought that one shouldn't restore from a backup after upgrading an iPhone to a custom ipsw.
    2010-10-26 05:31 PM
    You have to restore from back up in order for Pkgbackup to work.

You shouldn't restore from back up as it could carry over previous jb problems.

Therefor you should just reinstall everything by hand.

If you don't want to install everything all over again, use Pkgbackup. But you have to restore from back up. Pkgbackup stores the back up in your back up, not your contacts list.

If you're so set on what you were told elsewhere, then try it I'm telling you what I know and have done already before. If you don't wanna believe it, well that's fine too.

http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=7685

Read that. It tells you to restore from back up. Like I said, you have to restore from back up for Pkgbackup to work cuz when you sync your phone to iTunes after using Pkgbackup, it creates a back up of your device. Then you'd have to restore from that same back up for Pkgbackup to know what to restore.
    Last edited by i.Annie; 2010-10-26 at 05:57 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    2010-10-26 05:57 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD