I have a 3GS with following:

SOFTWARE: 3.13
    BASEBAND: 051201
    BOOTLOADER: 6.4
    MODEL: MB715
    SHSH SAVED TO CYDIA: ONLY 4.1

Phone has been activated and I can get an internet connection.

I want to jailbreak and upgrade to 4.1 with preserving the baseband.

I have a Mac with OS 9.1
    Also have a PC running Windows XP

What is the best method?
    Last edited by vyvxguy; 2010-10-25 at 07:54 AM.
    2010-10-25 07:36 AM
    Is it currently jailbroken ? If not jailbreak it with Redsn0w 0.9.4 and point to 3.1.2 ipsw.
    Once this is done, create a custom firmware from Snowbreeze 2.0.2 , make sure you uncheck the activate my iphone.
    Put your iphone into recovery mode and do the Shift + Restore to Snowbreeze_4.1.ipsw already placed on your desktop.
    Now you will arrive at Emergency screen, put in the official sim to trigger it into Home Screen.
    Then unlock with Ultrasn0w.
    You are good to go...
    Last edited by iYeow; 2010-10-25 at 08:35 AM.
    2010-10-25 08:26 AM
    Is it currently jailbroken ? If not jailbreak it with Redsn0w 0.9.4 and point to 3.1.2 ipsw.
    Once this is done, create a custom firmware from Snowbreeze 2.0.2 , make sure you uncheck the activate my iphone.
    Put your iphone into recovery mode and do the Shift + Restore to Snowbreeze_4.1.ipsw already placed on your desktop.
    Now you will arrive at Emergency screen, put in the official sim to trigger it into Home Screen.
    Then unlock with Ultrasn0w.
    You are good to go...
    Redsn0w will not work on a 3GS unless it's at iOS version 3.1.2...

Easiest method is probably to use PwnageTool (Mac OS X 10.5+ only I think) to prepare and restore to a custom 4.1 IPSW. (EDIT: sn0wbreeze 2.0.2 can only jailbreak an old bootrom 3GS on iOS 4.1, and only iBoot-patched devices. It does not use the new limera1n bootrom exploit as far as I can tell). Pwnagetool will allow you to "disable baseband updates" retaining your 05.12.01 baseband and keeping your unlock.
    Last edited by Orby; 2010-10-25 at 09:34 AM.
    2010-10-25 09:31 AM
    Agree on pwnagetool 4.1 which works great with new bootrom.
    2010-10-25 09:59 AM
    He has the oldbootrom.
    2010-10-25 10:05 AM
    Works with that too :-)
    2010-10-25 10:11 AM
    Orbs, you got me scratching my head about this after I recalled about this issue " Redsn0w will not work on a 3GS unless it's at iOS version 3.1.2...". I stopped him through PM and asked him to use a different approach. Thanks
    2010-10-25 07:08 PM
    Well I am now totally confused but then again that is usually the case when I do decide to upgrade.

I have a 3GS currently on 3.1.3 (jailbroken with Snowbreeze) and as far as I know I have the old bootroom and would now like to upgrade the iphone to 4.1 and jailbreak it again. Can you please give very easy and clear instructions on how to upgrade and then which method to use to jailbreak it again. As far as I can understand (but I may be wrong) it seems that 4.1 is not unlockable yet but you can let me know that too.

Thank you so much.
    2010-10-25 07:38 PM
    4.1 is not unlockable only jailbreakable

If jailbreaking is all you need then simply iTunes update it to 4.1 then go to greenpois0n.com on a computer and do a simple 1 minute instruction

Please thank me on site if I've helped
    2010-10-25 07:47 PM
    Shanejoe- I also have a 3gs on 3.1.3 jb with spirit. does it matter if it is already jailbroken when you click update to 4.1, or do I need to do a restore to factory settings and then upgrade?
    I have not done a sync with computer for fear of losing jailbreak. The laptop I used to have died. Whenever it wants to sync it says I'll lose all apps and replace with library on computer which has nothing! Any help is appreciated!
    2010-10-25 07:57 PM
    Well I am now totally confused but then again that is usually the case when I do decide to upgrade.

I have a 3GS currently on 3.1.3 (jailbroken with Snowbreeze) and as far as I know I have the old bootroom and would now like to upgrade the iphone to 4.1 and jailbreak it again. Can you please give very easy and clear instructions on how to upgrade and then which method to use to jailbreak it again. As far as I can understand (but I may be wrong) it seems that 4.1 is not unlockable yet but you can let me know that too.

Thank you so much.
    Easy, since your iphone is already accepting Custom firmware, now you can create a custom firmware of 4.1 from Snowbreeze 2.0.2. Make sure you uncheck the activate my iphone under expert mode.
    Put your iphone into recovery mode and do a shift + restore to Snowbreeze_4.1.ipsw created on your desktop.
    2010-10-25 08:04 PM

Thank you so much.
    If you only have access to a pc you can use Snowbreeze 2.0.2 to upgrade to a jailbroken 4.1. It preserves your baseband so you just need to install ultrasnow to unlock. This is for old bootrom phones only. Since you are already jb with Snowbreeze then the process is easy and proves you are ills bootrom.

If you have access to a mac then Pwnagetool 4.1 is out which is a great tool, it uses the new geohot exploit and is less buggy than Snowbreeze.

There is supposed to be new Snowbreeze out anytime which will use the new exploit too.

Any Snowbreeze/Pwnagetool will not update your baseband so you will never be unlockable.
    2010-10-25 08:05 PM
    Shanejoe- I also have a 3gs on 3.1.3 jb with spirit. does it matter if it is already jailbroken when you click update to 4.1, or do I need to do a restore to factory settings and then upgrade?
    I have not done a sync with computer for fear of losing jailbreak. The laptop I used to have died. Whenever it wants to sync it says I'll lose all apps and replace with library on computer which has nothing! Any help is appreciated!
    If you need unlock, then for this one, you will need to restore to Pwnage tools 4.1.2.
    2010-10-25 08:06 PM
    Yeow..nope..don't need unlock. Just the jailbreak. So can I just click update to 4.1 and then use greenpoison/limerain?

Thanks!
    2010-10-25 08:11 PM
    Then you can click update and go with GP. Make sure you update your itunes too.
    2010-10-25 08:40 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD