I want to JB my 3GS so that I can edit a PLIST file to disable multitasking and home screen wallpapers.

And that's all I want to do- no packages, dodgy apps, themes, etc.

So the question is........

Can I just:-

1) do a New Restore

2) Run GreenPois0n to JB the phone

3) Start "Loader" and just select "Remove Loader" (ie NOT install Cydia)

4) Use iPhoneBrowser and PList Editor to make the Plist changes I need.

Aprt from obviously not having access to the Packages, is their any disadvantage to not installing Cydia??? I assume the phone will function just fine after JB'ing and immediately removing Loader?

It seems daft (to me) to install Cydia and take up extra space and (potentially) cause more possible instability for something I am never going to use?

All help / feedback very much appreciated.

Cheers,
    Ian
    2010-10-28 11:08 AM
    I don't see any reason why your plan wouldn't work.

However, I don't see any reason not to install it. It won't cause any instability if you're not using it and you may want a tweak later on?
    2010-10-28 11:39 AM
    I don't see any reason why your plan wouldn't work.

However, I don't see any reason not to install it. It won't cause any instability if you're not using it and you may want a tweak later on?
    Thanks for the reply.

That's the problem- I "DO" keep tweaking it!!! And I end up spending WAY too much time "playing" with my iphone. So I thought if I just didn't install Cydia, it would be a stronger incentive to just leave it "as is".

I just DETEST the Multitasking in 4.1- I can't bare it being on my phone- it seems so counter-intuitive to me. If I hadn't rushed to upgrade to 4.1, I'd have stayed with an un-JB'ed 3.1.3 and would be perfectly happy right now! For mw 3.1.3 was the ultimate firmware- just a pity I didn't know about SHSH blobs at the time!!

Cheers,
    Ian
    2010-10-28 11:55 AM
    Which SHSH do you have? What are you currently jb with? Maybe you can get back to 3.1.3 with custom firmware.
    2010-10-28 12:14 PM
    Which SHSH do you have? What are you currently jb with? Maybe you can get back to 3.1.3 with custom firmware.
    I only have 4.1 blobs.

Is there any custom 3.1.3 firmware I am able to install?

Mind you- I "DO" like the folders in 4.1, hate the mutilitasking (but it's easy to disable), but find the battery life in 4.1 quite a bit worse than 3.1.3.

Cheers,
    Ian
    2010-10-28 12:21 PM
    I don't think so, but maybe. I wonder if you install Pwnagetool 4.1 custom firmware if you could then install a 3.1.3 custom firmware without SHSH. I doubt it, but you could try.
    2010-10-28 12:27 PM
    If you can get back to 3.1.3 you can use Categories for folders, works great on my 3G. Good luck!
    2010-10-28 11:43 PM
    In theory, if u restore and JB with limera1n/greenpois0n then SSH in, u can go to System/Library/Core Services/Springboard.app/N88AP.plist and then set homescreen-wallpaper & multitasking to false instead of true. Reboot and those 'should' be gone. Not sure about the folders... though
    2010-10-29 12:07 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD