The best way to find out is to use another computer, if it still hangs, then it is possible a hardware problem

You don't have wifi sync installed on your pc, right?
    Last edited by iYeow; 2010-11-08 at 05:43 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    2010-11-08 05:43 AM
    The best way to find out is to use another computer, if it still hangs, then it is possible a hardware problem

You don't have wifi sync installed on your pc, right?
    Nope I don't have wifi sync installed. I have tried on a different computer and it still hangs at 99%.
    2010-11-08 06:21 AM
    Is it under warranty ? They cannot tell if it is jailbroken, because you are in recovery mode all the time as the software never finishes.
    2010-11-08 06:31 AM
    Is it under warranty ? They cannot tell if it is jailbroken, because you are in recovery mode all the time as the software never finishes.
    I dont know if this is under warranty since a friend gave me it because of this problem.
    2010-11-08 06:39 AM
    Huh, the problem was already there when you got it, now i am almost certain that this iphone is faulty.
    2010-11-08 07:11 AM
    Is this (from the pastie) the last line in your logfile: "progres s: 0 percent, 55296 of 6634372"?

Assuming the log is correct, I think the restore is erroring out when the EEP file is loaded from the / partition into the NOR of the baseband. This would further support the Wi-Fi being not detected by the main processor (because the baseband, which controls the Wi-Fi, is missing a driver or is otherwise corrupted and cannot control the Wi-Fi chip correctly).

If the X-Gold's NOR flash is toast, that unit is toast. Should be an instant replacement of the unit if you're under warranty.
    2010-11-08 08:54 AM
    Is this (from the pastie) the last line in your logfile: "progress: 0 percent, 55296 of 6634372"?

Assuming the log is correct, I think the restore is erroring out when the EEP file is loaded from the / partition into the NOR of the baseband. This would further support the Wi-Fi being not detected by the main processor (because the baseband, which controls the Wi-Fi, is missing a driver or is otherwise corrupted and cannot control the Wi-Fi chip correctly).

If the X-Gold's NOR flash is toast, that unit is toast. Should be an instant replacement of the unit if you're under warranty.
    Would I take it to an Apple store or an AT&T store? Yes the log file is correct.
    2010-11-08 11:16 AM
    Would I take it to an Apple store or an AT&T store? Yes the log file is correct.
    Apple is probably a better bet. I don't even know if AT&T keeps refurbished phones on site for repair/replacement distributions.

Apple is great about prompt replacements, especially if you appear intelligent and show them the logfile. I've had great luck when I would go in and say, "these NAND sectors in the boot zone (on an iPT3G) are bad, here's the memory map logs from installing with Xcode" and it took less than ten seconds for the Genius to say "lemme go get you a new one."

Good luck! If you've got a nice Genius, and would prefer an unlockable phone, try asking for the oldest device they've got in the back (the oldest device will have the lowest three-digit number for the third, fourth, and fifth digits; e.g., a serial number starting 8L029 is an older device than one starting 5K041), and hope you get a phone still running 4.0.x.
    2010-11-08 09:11 PM
    Apple is probably a better bet. I don't even know if AT&T keeps refurbished phones on site for repair/replacement distributions.

Apple is great about prompt replacements, especially if you appear intelligent and show them the logfile. I've had great luck when I would go in and say, "these NAND sectors in the boot zone (on an iPT3G) are bad, here's the memory map logs from installing with Xcode" and it took less than ten seconds for the Genius to say "lemme go get you a new one."

Good luck! If you've got a nice Genius, and would prefer an unlockable phone, try asking for the oldest device they've got in the back (the oldest device will have the lowest three-digit number for the third, fourth, and fifth digits; e.g., a serial number starting 8L029 is an older device than one starting 5K041), and hope you get a phone still running 4.0.x.
    Even if a friend gave it to me, I could still just walk in and get a replacement?
    2010-11-09 01:55 AM
    So you got a replacement ?

That is awesome
    Last edited by iYeow; 2010-11-09 at 02:00 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    2010-11-09 02:00 AM
    So you got a replacement ?

That is awesome
    No not yet. I was asking that since a friend gave me it that could I just walk in and ask for a replacement?
    2010-11-09 02:10 AM
    I see, I thought you already did walk in and got a replacement.

You can actually go to Apple Website and check if this iphone is still under warranty.
    Last edited by iYeow; 2010-11-09 at 02:17 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    2010-11-09 02:17 AM
    I see, I thought you already did walk in and got a replacement.

You can actually go to Apple Website and check if this iphone is still under warranty.
    The warranty has Expired
    2010-11-09 02:36 AM
73 ... 234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD