So I have a 3g iphone with modem firmware 05.14.02. and version 4.1 (8B117)

What can I do with it? I'd like to have it jailbroken and unlocked.

I'd like to be use it worldwide but from the quick reading I've done here it doesnt seem possible if I don't have some files called SHSH.
    I do not have these files.

Thanks
    2010-11-08 07:53 PM
    Greenpoisen or limera1n and wait till the unlock comes out sometime next week I think
    2010-11-08 07:56 PM
    +1. And DON'T update to 4.2!
    2010-11-08 07:59 PM
    He probably will be able to update to 4.2 when the unlock comes out because it should cover that baseband too. But good advice since it is always safer to stay where you are just in case.
    2010-11-08 08:12 PM
    . I hope you're right. That would be awesome!
    2010-11-08 08:13 PM
    Hi Guys
    I have a 3g Iphone on 3.1.3 jailbroken (using jailbreakme.com) and unlocked (using ultrasnow) firmware version 5.12.01

I wanted to upgrade to ios 4.1 but after 6 weeks or so of looking how to do this safely (so i can have the carrier unlock as well as jailbreak) i am now totally confused

can anyone help ? can i update to version 4.1 then jailbreak and unlock the Iphone 3g ?

please help, i am down to my last strands of hair !

cheers
    Newbie to IPhone
    so any help will have to be EASY for me

2010-11-09 03:02 PM
    2010-11-09 04:24 PM
    reports say if i have used jailbreakme.com, stay clear of redsnow, and i cant get itunes to allow the custom restore !? (Shift+Restore)

i might just bite the bullet and try it, but it is working and jailbroken now, just on 3.1.3 and there is a lot of apps not working on that version

thanks for the help tho, know where to go if i get stuck :-)
    Newbie to IPhone

2010-11-09 07:45 PM
    PwnageTool (Mac only) or a custom IPSW (made w/Pwnage) + Redsnow (just to get into the DFU part) + shift/restore/select iTunes works for all devices.

That's for jailbreak to 4.1

No unlock exists for 5.14.x
    2010-11-09 07:51 PM
    thanks for your help, but if you do a shift+restore doesnt the baseband stay as is and not update (coz your doing a restore not an update, technically !)

looks like 4.2 is released friday anyway :-\
    Newbie to IPhone

2010-11-10 01:24 AM
    Just doing a shift click restore does not preserve your baseband. You have to be restoring to a custom firmware that has the baseband removed to preserve your baseband.
    2010-11-10 01:26 AM
    shift+restore/select allows selecting of a user-defined file. The custom firmware is built special and doesn't update the baseband.

Note; update keeps all your information "on the phone" during a firmware upgrade BUT it uses apple standard firmware (Dangerous!!) which also updates the baseband (Dangerous!!)

We never use update , so it's important to backup the iDevice with iTunes before starting any jb'ing/unlock process/restore. Then when finished, restore from that backup.
    Last edited by Mes; 2010-11-10 at 01:40 AM.
    2010-11-10 01:28 AM
    had this posted from one of the moderators, so going to give it a try and see how it goes

Make sure you have itunes atleast 9.2 to 10
    Do a shift + restore to 3.1.3 ipsw again.
    Jailbreak with Redsn0w 0.9.4 but browse to 3.1.2 ipsw.
    Once jailbroken, do an update on Cydia.
    Now download Snowbreeze 2.0.2 > Use Expert mode > General > Uncheck activate my iphone.
    Build it and it will be named Snowbreeze_4.1.ipsw and placed on your desktop
    Download ireb 4.1 from the same source as Snowbreeze 2.0.2 :iH8sn0w.com | Jailbreak your iPod touches and iPhones
    Having your iphone plug in and the official sim card inserted.
    Run Ireb 4.1 to put you into DFU mode
    Now open up Itunes, you are in restore mode > do the Shift + Restore to Snowbreeze_4.1.ipsw.
    If successfully restored, you are already jailbroken at 4.1.
    Unlock with Ultrasn0w from Cydia.
    Now your iphone will be activated and jailbroken at 4.1
    Newbie to IPhone

2010-11-10 02:16 AM
    Go for it. We are soooo lucky at this time, many different options/utilities exist, some better, some more simple to others, some for specific versions and/or iPhone models.

However one thing will NEVER change. Be very careful with any new firmware release. Apple does not want jailbreaking and unlocking, and once the baseband is updated, you can never downgrade.
    2010-11-10 02:48 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD