Is there a plist file that can be modded to change the delay before it reactivates the screen after you remove it from your face? I am still muting people on 4.1!
    2010-11-09 11:50 PM
    In normal cases, when you bring your iphone close to your face, the screen goes blank, so you can't accidentally trigger the mute button. If it doesn't goes blank fast enough, then you might have a problem with your iphone 4 ( I believe you are talking about this idevice).
    The best thing for you to do is to take it to the apple store and get a replacement while it is still under warranty.
    2010-11-10 01:56 AM
    I'm still having problems with mine as well. I'm thinking of going to the apple store to get mine replaced.
    2010-11-22 05:12 PM
    You should get a replacement asap
    2010-11-22 06:44 PM
    You should get a replacement asap
    Its crazy because it works normally when you wave your finger over it. But when you try to hold the phone with your shoulder and use both hands it always screws up. And i make sure i have it as close to my head as possible. Looks like i'm gonna have to make a call to apple.
    2010-11-22 08:47 PM
    The best way to try out is without any casing on the iphone, make a 611 call, bring your iphone close to your face, the screen should go off immediately and move the iphone away from your face, the screen display should comes back ON.
    2010-11-22 11:23 PM
    My iPhone 4 does the same thing. 4.1 was suppost to fix it but in my case and others it hasn't. I mute people all the time and I am hoping that 4.2 fixes this.
    2010-11-23 04:34 AM
    My iPhone 4 does the same thing. 4.1 was suppost to fix it but in my case and others it hasn't. I mute people all the time and I am hoping that 4.2 fixes this.
    You too have to make an appointment with Genius bar to get a replacement, it is not suppose to do that. Mine works perfect
    2010-11-23 06:53 AM
    Hi everyone, I've been lurking as a guest for quite a while but decided to register now.

I've got a 3GS and my wife has a 4. The proximity issue on the 4 has been a major annoyance. I've tried everything including swaps. My patience was wearing a bit thin. I do tech support at a very big company so I think I have a bit of patience. Anyway, here are my observations and a solution.

On the 4's that we have tried, the proximity sensor seems to get "confused" when hair gets in the way. I have short hair and I could never get the problem. However, with my wife's long hair, whenever a few strands got between the phone and her head, the touchscreen would stay lit or light back up. I tested this by having her tie her hair back. The Facedialing never happened after this. I tested it on my cat. The touchscreen stayed lit even as I pressed it against her.

The solutions for her were:
    - Always tying her hair back
    - Brushing her hair away (but some strands still cause problems)
    - Getting a buzz-cut
    - Giving the phone to me

None of these were acceptable. I found the best solution for her yesterday on Cydia Store. The app Calllock enables the sleep button without ending a call and also allows the screen "swipe" lock during calls. I think Apple should have had this built-in but 99 cents to end this frustration until Apple does something is pretty good.
    2010-12-03 08:01 PM
    Yes, callock will work and is meant for iphone 4 proximity sensor problem.
    2010-12-03 08:23 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD