Hello, i could use some help updating my Iphone 2G ( the original iphone )

A friend gave me this old phone a year ago once he got himself a new 3GS.The phone was given to me unlocked and jailbroken, and it had an old OS 2.something.

Well its been awhile since i have used the phone, and i could no longer download apps since its OS was so old, so today i decided i no longer wanted it jailbroken so i did some searching online and found out that to un-jailbreak it all i had to do was go into itunes and restore it.

I have gone ahead and done that using itunes 10.0.1.22, and i think the OS that itunes put on my 2g iphone was 3.1.x. Im not exactly sure which OS it put on, as i cannot get into the phone to check

Now i have a problem. When i turn on the phone it only shows a usb cable pointing to itunes, and with an emergency slide lock to allow emergency phone calls.
    When i connect it to itunes it complains that "the sim card inserted in this iPhone does not appear to be supported..." ( i have a fido sim card)

So i googled this and found that one way to get this working was to go to the blackra1n website and use blackra1n to jailbreak the phone.
    I tried this and it did not work. The blackra1n would not reboot my phone and would just sit there saying "done wait for reboot" and my phone screen was black.

So i disconnected the phone and power cycled it and im right back to the same place i was before where it says it does not like my sim card.

So what can i do to just get this phone working again ( hopefully with a OS that allows me onto the app store)?

I appreciate any help that you guys can give.
    I find it hard getting data for this situtation on an old 2g phone as most of what i have found always refers to the newer models.

Thanks in advance.
    2010-11-10 10:00 AM
    What u need to do is upgrade to 3.1.3 for the 2g iPhone and the jailbreak with redsnow make sure u point redsnow at 3.1.2 for the 2g iPhone if u need I can post links after I get off work but u will have to hacktivate the iPhone to get it past the emergency call screen don't worry about ur unlock if it has been it will stay it's unlocked forever
    2010-11-10 11:32 AM
    What u need to do is upgrade to 3.1.3 for the 2g iPhone and the jailbreak with redsnow make sure u point redsnow at 3.1.2 for the 2g iPhone if u need I can post links after I get off work but u will have to hacktivate the iPhone to get it past the emergency call screen don't worry about ur unlock if it has been it will stay it's unlocked forever
    Thanks for the info, i would appreciate the links.

My phone was unlocked before i started this so i am glad to hear that it should stay that way once i follow your procedure.

I will try out your suggestion once i also get home from work.
    2010-11-10 03:19 PM
    You are probably on 3.1.3 which is why Blackra1n didn't work. You wanna use Redsn0w 0.9.4. I will provide a link to a great guide including download links within for you to follow.

iClarified - iPhone - How to Unlock/Jailbreak Your iPhone 2G on OS 3.1.3 Using RedSn0w (Windows)
    2010-11-10 03:22 PM
    You are probably on 3.1.3 which is why Blackra1n didn't work. You wanna use Redsn0w 0.9.4. I will provide a link to a great guide including download links within for you to follow.

iClarified - iPhone - How to Unlock/Jailbreak Your iPhone 2G on OS 3.1.3 Using RedSn0w (Windows)
    Thanks for the link I am about to try this out on my iphone2g within windows xp and I have a few questions.

1) Should i use the older version of redsnow that they mention in the tutorial "redsn0w-win_0.9.4.zip" or should i use the newest one "redsn0w_win_0.9.6b2.zip"

2) Does it matter what version of itunes i use? Can i use itunes 10.x?

3) The tutorial has a link to download firmware "3.1.3 (2G): iPhone1,1_3.1.3_7E18_Restore.ipsw"
    This link Downloads a .zip file and not a .ipsw file.
    The tutorial then has one step where it points the redsnow to a .ipsw file not a zip.
    So where do i get this .ipsw file.
    I checked the contents of the .zip file and there is no .ipsw file within.
    Ok i figured this one out. IE8 renames the .ipsw file to .zip so i could rename it or just download it again with firefox.

4) this tutorial mentions to use 3.1.3 firmware while another tutorial i read mentioned to use 3.1.2,for redsn0w, so which should i use?

5) within redsnow, when i get to the part where i make some selections, do i have to select unlock if my phone was already unlocked before, or should i avoid it, basically is there any harm in selecting it ( i do want my phone to remain unlocked).

Thanks for your help.
    Last edited by interested; 2010-11-11 at 12:48 AM.
    2010-11-10 11:45 PM
    1) no, use what the guide says. It's redsn0w 0.9.4

2) shouldn't matter which version of iTunes

3) you could've just renamed by changing the extension to .ipsw (for future reference)

4) you use 3.1.2 in Redsn0w, I'm pretty sure the guide said you restore to 3.1.3 but you require the 3.1.2 ipsw when using Redsn0w.

5) you still have to select unlock if you want it to be unlocked.
    2010-11-11 02:12 AM
    Well i went ahead and tried it and it worked

I used the older redsn0w-win_0.9.4

and i used firmware 3.1.3 with itunes, and 3.1.2 firmware with redsnow, my iphone says 3.1.3 is installed.

Everything seems to work except youtube which does not work.

Please let me know if you know how to get youtube to work
    At least i can once again use my phone and download apps from the appstore.

Thanks for the help.
    Last edited by interested; 2010-11-11 at 02:28 AM.
    2010-11-11 02:15 AM
    Oh that should be expected. Here's the fix, go to Cydia.

Navigate to manage>edit>add then add this repo: "Cydia.pushfix.info" then install one of the YouTube fixes. I don't know which one, just install and find one that works.

If you have problems with Push notifications too, add repo "www.cmdshft.ipwn.me/apt" and install push doctor. Actually, you can probably skip the YouTube fix I just posted b/c Push Doctor will fix that too
    Last edited by i.Annie; 2010-11-11 at 04:49 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    2010-11-11 04:49 AM
    Oh that should be expected. Here's the fix, go to Cydia.

Navigate to manage>edit>add then add this repo: "Cydia.pushfix.info" then install one of the YouTube fixes. I don't know which one, just install and find one that works.

If you have problems with Push notifications too, add repo "www.cmdshft.ipwn.me/apt" and install push doctor. Actually, you can probably skip the YouTube fix I just posted b/c Push Doctor will fix that too
    Thanks for the tip.
    I went into cydia and i went to manage, but i dont see any edit button.

All it shows is Packages, Sources, Storage, and settings.

I must be missing something simple, any idea what it is?
    2010-11-11 04:57 AM
    You have to go into sources then in the top right corner it says edit

Then click add
    Last edited by Stray; 2010-11-11 at 05:00 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    2010-11-11 05:00 AM
    Ah I'm sorry, skipped a step. Yes, manage, sources, edit, add
    2010-11-11 05:03 AM
    Yup i figured it out on this website that outlined what you mentioned. I just googled the link you listed and found the tutorial.

however it looks like they were out of certificates.

Now the tutorial says to try re-installing it again at another time. however it does not say how to re-install it.
    I guess i have to figure out how to remove it before i can re-install it.
    2010-11-11 05:12 AM
    Just go back and find push doctor and select uninstall.

Try the pushfix repo I told you about. If Push Doctor won't work, then install Pushfix and the YouTube fix.
    2010-11-11 05:14 AM
    Just go back and find push doctor and select uninstall.

Try the pushfix repo I told you about. If Push Doctor won't work, then install Pushfix and the YouTube fix.
    Yup push doctor was out of certificates, so i tried the Cydia.pushfix.info source you mentioned.

However i dont see any youtube fix's there.

There is a Pushfix 2.0 but is says in the info that its currently only for paid subscribers and is no longer free

Ill try to uninstall and reinstall push doctor and hopefully ill get lucky.

Well i got push doctor to install without any errors.
    I then tried youtube and it still wont work
    Last edited by interested; 2010-11-11 at 05:33 AM.
    2010-11-11 05:20 AM
    Ok well did you add the first repo? I just checked Cydia.pushfix.info and the YouTube fixes are there. Those fixes work on YouTube I know that for sure.
    2010-11-11 05:43 AM
    yup i added that one but i did not see a single youtube one.

I did however re-try push doctor for like a 4th time and this time it finally worked,, well at least youtube works, i have yet to check pushing mail to my phone, ill try that later on tommorow.

The one thing i did not fully understand is that when pushdoctor was installing it had some text note that said not to do something that it could break the iphone, and it said to check their blog for more details.. well i went on their blog and there were no details.

Any idea what im supposed to avoid doing to prevent killing my phone with pushdoctor?
    2010-11-11 06:06 AM
    I think you should avoid push doctor since it isn't working out for you.

I don't know what to say about the YouTube fix b/c I re-added the repo in my phone they are there. There's 3 YouTube fixes. You might consider reinstalling the repo b/c I don't think push doctor is going to do it for you.
    2010-11-11 06:12 AM
    I think you should avoid push doctor since it isn't working out for you.

I don't know what to say about the YouTube fix b/c I re-added the repo in my phone they are there. There's 3 YouTube fixes. You might consider reinstalling the repo b/c I don't think push doctor is going to do it for you.
    Actually like i said, pushdoctor is working with youtube.
    so thats ok, no need to add another youtube one.

my only worry with push doctor was the warning that it had during install telling me to avoid doing something that might kill my iphone. I tried checking out their blog as the warning suggested for more information but there was no info there as to what they were talking about.
    2010-11-11 06:21 AM
    Well I've never had a problem with push doctor so I'm not sure either. Perhaps you'd better play it safe and remove and reinstall to see if it shows up again. If you don't want to that's fine, I really just don't know what error that is.
    2010-11-11 06:23 AM
    Ya i dont think i was very clear explaining what i was seeing.

On my final install of push doctor, everything installed fine with no errors.

What i was referring to was a text message that was embeded in the installation ( when installing black screen with all the text).
    This message said not to do some kind of push test, as it would screw up the iphone. It then said to check out their blog for more info.

Pushdoctor seems to be working fine, so I have no plans on removing it.

Thanks for all your help Puma.leaf, and for answering all my questions, it was much appreciated.
    2010-11-11 05:56 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD