So i was thinking, it would be a good idea to password protect the power off function. If your phone gets stolen, the theif cant turn your phone off enabling you to call it and tracking apps to keep running?

Anyone agree, any apps like this out there?

Cheers
    2010-11-11 01:14 AM
    Losing an iphone is bad enough, the person who steals it can always do a restore and use the iphone. But if you know your IMEI number , you can call up the carrier and block the IMEI number.
    But if he uses a different carrier, other than the block imei carrier, I wonder if the iphone will work on the new carrier.
    2010-11-11 01:48 AM
    But if the phobe is unable to be switched off instantly u can trace it or call it.
    2010-11-11 08:43 AM
    Unless they are close to the comp they plan to restore on. Or they could just pick it up and call another line and let the phone die.
    [CENTER][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/CENTER]
    2010-11-11 08:47 AM
    Neat fact: as long as the battery is connected and has a charge stored in it, iPhones (and almost every other variety of mobile device) still have minimal CPU and baseband function--your phone still pings GSM cells, for example.

Less neat theory (I haven't tested it much): throwing the device into DFU mode probably stops the baseband transceiver functions--thereby possibly freezing the possible tracing mechanisms--GPS and cell triangulation.

Also, opening it up and physically removing the battery, letting the battery completely drain, or otherwise short-circuiting the device will halt transmissions.

IMEI blocks are *usually* shared across GSM carriers in the country--unless the phone is supposed to be carrier-locked. Then your odds are rather low.

Besides, there's a hardware method to hard reset the phone, so password-protecting the function wouldn't exactly stop much.
    2010-11-11 10:50 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD