Okay, so I am having some issues with my updated jailbreak apps and need to possibly update to the 4.1 iOS to fix the probs. What is the easiest way to update to the iOS 4.1 without going through iTunes? Or do I need to restore and then follow the limera1n? If someone could direct me further, I would be appreciative! Thanks!
    2010-11-11 11:11 PM
    You have to use itunes to update. If you dont require unlock just update, rejailbreak and install your jailbroken apps again.
    2010-11-11 11:21 PM
    Ok, so let me make sure I get this straight before I do something stupid, lol. I can update through iTunes, then use limera1n to get cydia back and then re-download all my jailbroken apps?
    2010-11-11 11:23 PM
    2010-11-11 11:57 PM
    Since you have 1.59.00 baseband, I'd recommend doing a restore to 4.1 (Shift + Restore) versus updating to 4.1, and making sure you have SHSH blobs on file and TinyUmbrella TSS server running. Then you can remain on 1.59.00 baseband and unlock later if needed.

So procedure would be:
    1) Backup current iphone settings and apps in iTunes
    2) Start latest version TinyUmbrella (4.1.13) and save SHSH blobs
    3) Start TSS server in TinyUmbrella
    Step 3 may not be necessary since 4.1 is current, but doesn't hurt
    4) Download 4.1 ipsw, then Shift + Restore in itunes to restore your phone to 4.1 fw
    5) When you get the 1004 error in itunes, use TinyUmbrella to kick out of recovery
    6) Limra1n or Greenpois0n to jailbreak (then Ultrasn0w from Cydia to unlock)
    7) Finally, use itunes to restore your data backed up in step 1

Now you are done.
    2010-11-13 12:52 AM
    ^JustBreatheN

Some must & others will use a custom firmware load via Pwnage/Sn0wbreeze in order to keep the current baseband (and unlock). For official carrier users, it's not necessary unless you might desire to make a future change or sell as unlocked.
    2010-11-13 01:13 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD