This has probably been answered a thousand times, and I'm sorry about that. I've really tried searching and reading but I still don't have a solid answer, and I'm scared that I'll accidentally brick my phone.

Anyway, I have an iPhone 3g version 4.0 jailbroken and unlocked. Recently, my phone has been acting extremely laggy and I've been wanting to completely restore it. I tried going into iTunes, holding option and hitting restore and selecting the ipsw4.0 restore but I get the error message "The iphone could not be restored. The device isn't eligible for the requested build." Am I stuck with not being able to restore my iPhone? Any feedback is appreciated.
    2010-11-13 06:27 AM
    You have to point your hosts file towards Cydia :
    Run Notepad as Admin , open up hosts file and add this line :
    C windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts
    74.208.10.249 gs.apple.com
    save it and reboots your pc
    Now do the Shift + Restore 4.0 ipsw
    2010-11-13 07:01 AM
    ^ Thank you, but is there anyway someone can translate that for a mac?
    2010-11-13 07:07 AM
    Ok, i don't know where the hosts file is in Mac.
    Another way :
    Download tiny umbrella , plug your iphone in, select your device and click save shsh.
    To restore, highlight the shsh blogs like 4.0 if you have it, start tss server, and do the alt/option + restore.
    This way you don't have to edit the hosts file
    2010-11-13 07:57 AM
    I have the same question, however I'm using a PC. I currently am running the standard 4.1, I have editied the hosts file but I still can't downgrade to 4.0 It gives an error saying that it failed. Can u save shsh to make it work even if u already have 4.1?
    2010-11-13 09:05 AM
    exctimmy,
    only if you have your shsh blobs saved from 4.0
    2010-11-13 09:19 AM
    You have a mac , why don't you restore to custom firmware of 4.1 created by pwnage tools 4.1.2, no shsh needed to do that.

and you also preserve your baseband too for unlocking

I have the same question, however I'm using a PC. I currently am running the standard 4.1, I have editied the hosts file but I still can't downgrade to 4.0 It gives an error saying that it failed. Can u save shsh to make it work even if u already have 4.1?
    What is your main objective, is it to jailbreak. I can give you a custom 3g 4.1 ipsw made by pwnage tools.
    All you need is to run redsn0w 0.9.6b2 to put you only into dfu mode and then shift + restore to cfw
    Last edited by iYeow; 2010-11-13 at 09:26 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    2010-11-13 09:26 AM
    Yes, if I could get fimware to JB my 3G to 4.1 that would be awsome. Right now I'm running 4.1 non jailbroken and Im having problems when tyring to JB with the 4.0 firmware. Can u send me the link for the firmware?

Thanks
    2010-11-14 03:23 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD