First of all, is it a i4, iOS 4.1 bb 01.59.00?
    2011-03-03 12:58 PM
    First of all, is it a i4, iOS 4.1 bb 01.59.00?
    Exactly. And I want to go to 4.2.1 keeping this Baseband (because of the unlock - it is an imported phone).

I have already:
    - Downloaded the 4.2.1 IPSW from Apple servers and checked it with Redsn0w 0.9.6 RC8. It was recognized as valid and passed.
    - Downloaded latest Tiny Umbrella 4.21.11 and checked that the app is running alright.
    - Same for Greenpoinson RC6.1.
    - Reinstalled fresh updated iTunes in the PC.

It seems I'm good to go. Any additional tip?

Regards,
    Effenberg

PS: Checking the old Cydia installed in the phone I see it was originally unlocked with Ultrasn0w v1.1-1.
    Last edited by Effenberg0x0; 2011-03-03 at 04:14 PM.
    2011-03-03 04:07 PM
    Safest method would be to make a custom firmware with pwnage tool or snowbreeze to preserve your baseband. Although the tiny umbrella method works too.
    2011-03-03 04:09 PM
    x98car: Thanks for your answer. I thought so. I know the TU method is widely used, but I'm not what you would call a lucky person. Things go wrong with me. I'm considering the Snowbreeze custom firmware a more adequate option. Will investigate into that today.

Thanks,
    Effenberg
    2011-03-03 04:17 PM
    No prob, you can check the can I unlock link in my sig for tutorials for getting to 4.2.1 using snowbreeze.
    2011-03-03 04:21 PM
    Ok, big guy, download the following files.... Snowbreeze 2.2.1( if your a pc) Pwenage tool if your ( Mac) iOS 4.2.1 respectily

sorry about that, open sb vertify you have 2.2.1 for 4.2.1 next, browse and point to iphone ios for i4 it will indentifying ipsw once its vertify, next again, click on expert mode then next click on gerneral next, next screen its gonna be a little tricky!! i recommend to uncheck everything specialy the hacktivate, this is the source of youre problem, when hacktivate is selected, you do not need a official sim card to activate to phone, how every its known to cause lost of gps, wifi runs constanly and if you do not have unlimited data plan your screw, and this what cause your battery to drain, there is a program call SAM to correct this problem however is not the best choice!! doing it my way is much safer. only thing you must have an offical sim to activated the phone once its j/b...... WAIT, lets check on the orgin of the phone first be fore we anything!! go to this web site and check and identify carrier of this phone WWW.identifyCarrierofiphonesu-fupart1, you can change the 1 to 2,or 3, see if its lock to us, or Brazil, if its lock to Brazil the you have to check "Hacktivate" so u dont need official sim to activate. I hope i didn't confuse you!! if hacktivate is your only option then you will need to search for "SAM" after you have run ultrasn0w...lets assume u have to check "hacktivate" next skip the next screen by clicking on next you will now come to screen that looks alot like the first screen that you check "general" only this time you select create the ipsw. once its done, it will ask you to shut down the device and place it in "DUF" mode this part gets manny people so follow the instructions exactly! if you have a third hand place the device in DFU before you click on next this way ur a step ahead, now open ur itune ( make sure its the latest 10.2) itune will reconized youre in restore shift/restore, white snowflake with graph bar to indicated progress of jb. after thats done open cydia let it load up click on search type ultrasnow 1.2, install, confirm, let it loade up finish..... return to cydia, exit cydia and hard boot the device now you should be able to place sim card of choice and should work, but you got another problem ask for help with "SAM"
    Last edited by Neil001; 2011-03-03 at 05:37 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    2011-03-03 05:37 PM
    I apologize if this has been answered but I made it as far as Page 14 and didn't see it, and thought to skip to the end and hope for a quick response.

I have an iPhone4 Ver# 4.2.1 with a Baseband Modem Firmware 03.10.01

I'd read in the guide that
    ****If you have an iPhone 4, your baseband must be 1.59.00 to unlock. *If it is anything besides 1.59.00, you cannot unlock nor do you have any alternatives to do it. *

Has that changed?, am I able to Jailbreak or Unlock my iPhone?

cheers in advance
    2011-03-03 05:41 PM
    2011-03-03 05:44 PM
    hey X98car, good morning to you, i'm under the weather a little bit here been sick like a big dog for two weeks now, got sick, got better, but before i was fully recover the "BUG" got me again, i'm all druged up can you help EffenbergX0X with "SAM" ...... Effenbergx0x your in good hand with X98car, one more thin set the phone as "NEW" do not use backup!!! you can sync all the stuff over once everything is done.
    2011-03-03 05:48 PM
    cheers for the update
    2011-03-03 05:48 PM
    I dont think he asked about SAM did he?
    2011-03-03 05:58 PM
    r u sure its lock to USA?ATT, IF THATS THE CASE UNCHECK HACKTIVATION EVERYTHING IS THE SAME ALL U HAVE TO DO IS ASK A FRIEND WHO'S WITH ATT AND USE HIS SIM CARD TO ACTIVATE NO NEED FOR "SAM" YOUR LIFE JUST GOT EASY BY A LONG SHOT!!

HE PURCHASE THE PHONE FROM BRAZIL AND IF ITS LOCK TO ONE OF THEIR OFFICIAL CARRIER HE WOULD NEED TO "HACKTIVE" BYPASS ACTIVAT,HE MENTION BATTERY DRAIN WITH THE OTHER J/B. BUT I REREAD HIS POST HIS PHONE IS ACTUALLY IS USA/LOCK TO ATT SO HE WONT HEED TO hACKVATE BUT DOES NEED AN ATT SIM TO ACTIVATE
    Last edited by Neil001; 2011-03-03 at 06:40 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    2011-03-03 06:40 PM
    Guys thank you so much for all your help. I 'm right now reading about all the info you gave me.

Just to clarify the situation: I bought this iPhone 4 last year from an unofficial importer. These guys go to Miami, get like 200 iPhones, don't know how, bring to Brazil and sell it for twice the price. We know its AT&T because its folder is even branded. But it comes with no SIM (they probably get it to them I don't know). Why did I do it? Because I am idiot. I wanted to give my wife an iPhone 4 for X-mas. She's an Apple fangirl (I am an android dude). 3 weeks later, before the end of January, all national carriers were all offering iPhones unlocked to local carriers for half the price. Oh well...

Anyway, the thing got to us Jailbroken, Cydia intalled, Ultrasn0w installed, and working like sh*t. It simply stays for hours with only one small reception bar, you can't make or receive a call. You have to reboot 3 or 4 times to get carrier reception again. SMS gets delayed hours (for sending and receiving). GPS/Wifi never had an issue, but reception and battery life sucks. We had a 3GS that was simply amazing in comparison.

It got to a point in which I just want to fix the issue so my wife can be happy again and stop talking about it

EDIT: Just confirmed, from model number MC318LL/A*, that it is originally locked to AT&T.
    EDIT2: Just to be clear, there's no AT&T in Brazil and I don't have any way to put my hands on an official AT&T SIM. I have to unlock it to make it work with local SIMs. I think in order to do things right I will be looking at SAM then.
    Last edited by Effenberg0x0; 2011-03-03 at 08:27 PM.
    2011-03-03 08:05 PM
    You have no friend with an att sim?? You're not keeping it, just to activate it that's all r u in the states?You want to stay a way from SAM if possible
    2011-03-03 08:43 PM
    No I dont... I'm in Brazil right now, living here, won't have the chance to go to America so soon now. I'll have to do it without the SIM. I was reading about SAM. It doesn't look too tricky. Whar risks would I be facing?
    2011-03-03 08:47 PM
    Hey x98car what do u think I'm trying to steer him away SAM, if all possible, not too many people have good things to say about SAM......

All the problem you have mention earlier.... So you're not in the state, well problem solved you need to check hacktivate when you are creating the custom firmware after you jb it setup the phone as new do not use backup then open cydia, search for ultrasnow 1.2 install, confirm let it do it's thing exit hard boot and you phone should be read to go, but you will experience problem like before, but that's where SAM comes into play
    Last edited by Neil001; 2011-03-03 at 09:00 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    2011-03-03 09:00 PM
    So, by the end of the day, I will still have battery drain, reception problems no matter what? That sucks

If things go wrong with SAM, I could always use TU and reflash stock / Sn0wBreeze IPSW and start from scratch while preserving my BB right? So what are the risks of trying SAM?
    2011-03-03 09:06 PM
    I wasn't trying to steer him away from SAM. Just didn't think he had mentioned it yet. One step at a time Let's get him up and running first then we can go into SAM to fix push notification issues associated with hactivating.

So, by the end of the day, I will still have battery drain, reception problems no matter what? That sucks

If things go wrong with SAM, I could always use TU and reflash stock / Sn0wBreeze IPSW and start from scratch while preserving my BB right? So what are the risks of trying SAM?
    SAM is fine to use. It should fix push notifications and battery issues.
    Last edited by Simon; 2011-03-03 at 09:08 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    2011-03-03 09:08 PM
    hey guys,thanks for infos,but i have a question,i had an i phone 3g and i did jailbroke it once,and now i have another one,running 4.2.1
    so which program should i use to jailbrake it,im planning to do it tomorrow,so i hope you guys can help me,i read some infos here but i thought its better to ask here first,last time i couldnt change sms background etc.. please help me to get this done correctly,thanks in advance
    2011-03-03 09:39 PM
    hey guys,thanks for infos,but i have a question,i had an i phone 3g and i did jailbroke it once,and now i have another one,running 4.2.1
    so which program should i use to jailbrake it,im planning to do it tomorrow,so i hope you guys can help me,i read some infos here but i thought its better to ask here first,last time i couldnt change sms background etc.. please help me to get this done correctly,thanks in advance
    Redsnow 0.9.6rc8 is what you need.
    2011-03-03 09:42 PM
1,174 ... 21293031323341 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD