Personally, I'd do it in this order

-Run TinyUmbrella to save SHSH
    -Download 4.3.2 ipsw
    -use pwnage tool on the ipsw to create a custom ipsw that will include the jailbreak and not update your baseband.
    -put iphone into DFU mode
    -restore with iTunes using the custom IPSW.
    -Once restore is complete, open cydia, and then install ultrasn0w to unlock
    Three comments:

TinyUmbrella is not needed for 4.3.2 - it's the current version

DFU mode must be entered following the countdown timer of pwnagetool.

And Cydia ... update essential first and reboot, then install ultrasn0w.
    2011-04-27 04:11 AM
    I could give that a try but last time (a few years ago) that i gave PwnageTool a try i was always stuck on the apple logo after using it and getting the dreaded 16xx errors. Never managed to get Redsn0w to work when i tried going to 4.1. Is there a safety net if i get stuck again after using PwnageTool?
    2011-04-27 04:15 AM
    I could give that a try but last time (a few years ago) that i gave PwnageTool a try i was always stuck on the apple logo after using it and getting the dreaded 16xx errors. Never managed to get Redsn0w to work when i tried going to 4.1. Is there a safety net if i get stuck again after using PwnageTool?
    Yeaaaa. Those should be gone now. ALL custom firmware ipsw restores require the 'special' pwn-ed DFU mode. Shouldn't be a problem anymore. And truthfully, I would probably use redsn0w to just enter DFU mode because the custom ipsw is already done and it's the first to be updated when a change happens.
    2011-04-27 04:18 AM
    Anyone can double check if i might be forgetting anything to backup here? I've backed up my themes folder, backed up my iPhone in itunes after saving the latest packages with pkgbackup and now i just have to save my fonts. Am i missing anything besides that?
    2011-04-27 04:52 AM
    ^Sometimes, I also use AppBackup to backup the data portions of Apple and Cydia apps. A complete backup of /private/var/mobile/Library will take care of the odds and ends .... this is unless you've made custom mods all over the place (like I do ).
    2011-04-27 04:58 AM
    I might have used custom icons for some applications which wouldn't theme so i had to drop the icon.png in the application's folder itself. Besides that, i don't have anything else custom this time around. What data are you backing up in that library folder?
    2011-04-27 05:00 AM
    ^The whole directory structure. Anything & everything that doesn't error during the copy. It's a safety precaution. iTunes restore from backup is supposed to repopulate that area, but I never have enough backups

Actually, I also use rsync to also backup 'everything' to a Mac. A bit complicated to get set up, but faster than iTunes most of the time.
    2011-04-27 05:03 AM
    Good point! After the restore, you leave the one itunes put there unless it's missing files right?
    2011-04-27 05:06 AM
    ^Sure. My backups are 'just in case'. It always seems that what is supposed to happen doesn't at the most inappropriate times (haha)
    2011-04-27 05:09 AM
    Anyone can double check if i might be forgetting anything to backup here? I've backed up my themes folder, backed up my iPhone in itunes after saving the latest packages with pkgbackup and now i just have to save my fonts. Am i missing anything besides that?
    It's not recommend to restore your device from your backup, if you were having problems with your device before you updated to 4.3.2 via pwnage tool. You need to sync contact list photos,memos etc to outlook if you were on windows. Since you're on Mac, I'm sure there is a similar app to outlook to do the same thing, then you can setup your device as new and sync everything back to your device!!!! Good luck!!
    2011-04-27 05:11 AM
    ^True. If you're having problems it's always best to set up as new. On the other hand, minor upgrades (4.2.1 -> 4.3.1 or 4.3.2) are acceptable if everything is working fine.
    2011-04-27 05:15 AM
    You misunderstood my post, i'm not restoring from backup, i'm just saving special fonts and themes i have. As well as only some safe settings/cydia packages that i've had for awhile. I did a cleanup of the problematic packages already, those are long gone!
    2011-04-27 05:16 AM
    Hey Mes, did X98car change his call name to Simon? Or this Simon guy is using his lakers logo,
    2011-04-27 05:16 AM
    Hey Mes, did X98car change his call name to Simon? Or this Simon guy is using his lakers logo,
    Changed my name
    2011-04-27 05:17 AM
    You misunderstood my post, i'm not restoring from backup, i'm just saving special fonts and themes i have. As well as only some safe settings/cydia packages that i've had for awhile. I did a cleanup of the problematic packages already, those are long gone!

That was just a reminder, heads up, didn't know if you were having problem with your old iOS before update to 4.3.2.....

Ok, no foul!! Your lakers are playing right now.......
    Last edited by Neil001; 2011-04-27 at 05:23 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    2011-04-27 05:23 AM
    That was just a reminder, heads up, didn't know if you were having problem with your old iOS before update to 4.3.2.....
    Not for now, knock on wood! I'm still unsure what to use though, whether my best bet is PT or RS. By the way, where do i find the fonts folder?

EDIT: Little update, i'm now stuck at the restoring iphone software part with the status bar in itunes at about 98% done. It's been stuck like that for about 40 minutes now, any ideas?

Sorry for the bump but i'm still stuck here. Go figure, i use PwnageTool for the first time in years and yet again run into a problem. This is my second attempt and i'm still stuck at the same spot.
    Last edited by BobbyW; 2011-04-27 at 05:52 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    2011-04-27 05:52 PM
    You don't have wifi sync installed on your computer do you?
    2011-04-27 05:56 PM
    I do. Should i uninstall it?
    2011-04-27 05:57 PM
    Yup, that is what is causing that issue.
    2011-04-27 05:59 PM
    Ok so for now do i just unplug my iphone? It shows the progress bar on the iphone screen right under the apple logo and it's stuck at about 98%. Should i unplug it, uninstall Wifi sync and then restart the process? Do i just disable device pairing or it's better to remove the whole wifi sync application?
    2011-04-27 06:02 PM
1,174 ... 32404142434452 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD