Another client tale, more brainstorming looking for root causes. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Fairly technical stuff and a long post, heads up.

A client of mine has a jailbroken unlocked 3G on 4.1, break done by PwnageTool custom IPSW, DFU obtained through rs 0.9.6b2. For story purposes, I also have a jailbroken unlocked 3G on 4.1, again jailbroken and DFU'ed with PT (different IPSW).

The client's computer (a 5-7 year old Dell, XP SP3, Pentium 4 x86) cannot seem to complete a sync with either phone using iTunes 10.1. One phone (the client's) would either immediately enter a reboot screen and would hang until unplugged from the machine or would be detected but would return "Sync failed: device sent an invalid command" message or something to that effect once "Sync" was clicked. The other device would either return the same invalid command message when a sync was attempted or would error out installing media (apps or music) with an 0xE80000001 code.

I believe both phones' hardware and OS installs to be functioning normally and correctly, as they work perfectly aside from this one computer syncing. Both phones could sync normally with my computer, a hackintosh running OSX 10.6.4 + iTunes 10.1. Xcode reported no sync-related failures in either device's logs. iTunes was reinstalled on the client's computer twice, and three different USB 2.0 ports and three different (known functioning) 30-pin cables were used. One of these USB ports supported a USB thumbdrive read/write at full speed without issue. The client's phone had been syncing normally with this particular computer for months beforehand.

So I'm thinking it's something in the client's computer's hardware that broke spontaneously... any idea what? Or if it's not hardware, where should I look? I'm due back on Thursday and I'd rather not have this client spring for new hardware if they don't have to.

Again, thanks everyone in advance for helping me slog through this--multiple fresh brains can do this better than my sleep-deprived, caffeine-addled solitary one.
    2010-11-22 07:49 AM
    If you haven't already, I would try to set the phone up as new and create a new library for it. Try to sync it then. If it syncs then maybe there's something in the old library causing problems.

Only other thing to suggest is try a phone on something lower than 4.1 and see if it's just the firmware that the computer doesn't like.

Sounds like it's time to update that Dell anyway.......
    2010-11-22 07:57 AM
    If you haven't already, I would try to set the phone up as new and create a new library for it. Try to sync it then. If it syncs then maybe there's something in the old library causing problems.

Only other thing to suggest is try a phone on something lower than 4.1 and see if it's just the firmware that the computer doesn't like.

Sounds like it's time to update that Dell anyway.......
    I figured as much (it's got a clock speed of 1833 MHz FFS!); however, I'd prefer save the client that money (and to be honest, my time as well, as I'd have to set the new machine up on the cheap).

The second iPhone was Reset All Settings wiped and then had all content set to be replaced through iTunes (though the subsequent sync didn't make it past Contacts and Outlook e-mail) plus it had never been connected with that machine before.

Though you've got a point, I wonder if that can be dodged (and I don't think my client would let me wipe the device and set it up without a backup--too many priceless texts, etc.)
    2010-11-22 08:05 AM
    Copy the library to your computer and try to sync the phone with that.
    2010-11-22 09:41 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD