User Tag List

Why is jailbreaking 4.2.1 so tedious and glitchy????

I just jailbroke my iPhone 4 using greenpois0n, which was released a couple days ago. All was fine and dandy at first. Then, I realized that there were no themes on Cydia that were yet compatible with the new jailbreak. Ok, no big deal I guess. Then my iPhone started rejecting certain tweaks/apps I got from Cydia. It started to go into safe mode everytime I unlocked the iPhone. So I would just delete that app that cause my iPhone to go into safemode. Inconvenient, but ok, I guess. Then I realized about 70% of all the stuff I downloaded from Cydia caused my iPhone to boot into safemode every time I unlock it. Then, one day, my iPhone boots into safemode and now I can't get it out. I deleted the last couple things I got from Cydia and it still does this. I did a full reboot and it still does this. It endless boots into safemode and the only solution at this point is to restore. I am contemplating whether or not I should rejailbreak. Why is it such a pain in the *** to jailbreak?
    Owner of the Unofficial ModMyi Palringo Chat Group. Join today!

We've got information in the information age but do we know what life is outside of our convenient Lexus cages?
    2011-02-08 01:37 AM
    did you expect all the apps in cydia to be updated and ready for you?

IMO im just glad a JB was released now, not months from now, even tho i was JBed on 4.1.

so far only Mobile terminal and MyWi crash my IP4

besides who else is gonna test all the apps and report which ones need updates? the devs cant do it all, never mind they do it free.
    60% of the time, it works every time.
    2011-02-08 02:31 AM
    I'm a new iPhone user and well new to this forum also and was interested in jailbreaking my phone. I've never uses cydia or even done a jailbreak. I have an iPhone 4 with ios 4.2.1. Will I have the same problems as u guys even though ive never used cydia. And would u recommend for me to do this or should I wait for a easier JB?
    2011-02-08 03:20 AM
    well greenpois0n is on RC5 beta 4, so everyday more bugs are being worked out. if you can wait, then you will be rewarded with a more bug free release.

or be like me and jump right on it (and suffer the early adopter pains). but i have my SHSH files saved so i can revert back to my last firmware
    2011-02-08 04:16 AM
    Why is jailbreaking 4.2.1 so tedious and glitchy????

I just jailbroke my iPhone 4 using greenpois0n, which was released a couple days ago. All was fine and dandy at first. Then, I realized that there were no themes on Cydia that were yet compatible with the new jailbreak. Ok, no big deal I guess. Then my iPhone started rejecting certain tweaks/apps I got from Cydia. It started to go into safe mode everytime I unlocked the iPhone. So I would just delete that app that cause my iPhone to go into safemode. Inconvenient, but ok, I guess. Then I realized about 70% of all the stuff I downloaded from Cydia caused my iPhone to boot into safemode every time I unlock it. Then, one day, my iPhone boots into safemode and now I can't get it out. I deleted the last couple things I got from Cydia and it still does this. I did a full reboot and it still does this. It endless boots into safemode and the only solution at this point is to restore. I am contemplating whether or not I should rejailbreak. Why is it such a pain in the *** to jailbreak?

This is why you NEVER jailbreak the second one is released if you're so bent on certain things not working right away. Use some common sense. The people that made the Cydia apps and Tweaks need time to update them to work with the latest FW now that its been jailbroken. Also, it's better to wait a week or so to see what issues a new JB may cause, like the ones you're experiencing. This isn't as bad as the days of 1.0.2 though, so relax. Restore, try again, and be patient if all else fails. Only time will remedy most of these problems.
    Your an ignorant moron!
    fail
    2011-02-08 04:20 AM
    well greenpois0n is on RC5 beta 4, so everyday more bugs are being worked out. if you can wait, then you will be rewarded with a more bug free release.

or be like me and jump right on it (and suffer the early adopter pains). but i have my SHSH files saved so i can revert back to my last firmware
    See I don't even know what shsh file are. Is JBing something I should do. Keep in mind I've never done a JB so would I get the same problems as the OP.
    2011-02-08 04:56 AM
    See I don't even know what shsh file are. Is JBing something I should do. Keep in mind I've never done a JB so would I get the same problems as the OP.
    anyone who has 4.2.1 would have these problems. I just updated mine to the untethered greenpois0n from the tethered redsn0w and haven't found any differences. I think the problems are all to do with the tweaks in cydia not being formatted for 4.2.1. It's not perfect but better than before I jailbroke it for sure.
    2011-02-08 05:03 AM
    I fixed the majority of my problems shortly after I created this thread.

We've got information in the information age but do we know what life is outside of our convenient Lexus cages?
    2011-02-08 11:45 PM
    i rolled back to 4.1. couldn't stand having a crippled, buggy phone. we'll try again when 4.3 rolls out.
    2011-02-08 11:53 PM
    I have had no real issues with 4.2.1 on Greenpois0n.

Of course a lot of the Cydia themes/apps are not updated yet but they will be in time. I don't do a lot of heavy theming though so that might be what is making the difference for you guys.
    2011-02-09 12:01 AM
    Not true , I restored to 4.2.1, jailbroke with redsnow , update cydia then jailbreak again with GP, runs perfect. All themes , bitessms, mywi, my3g , even shrinks works.
    2011-02-09 02:39 AM
    I might start a couple threads about these, but this one seems appropriate.

Are others here who have used GP on an iPhone 4 with 4.2.1 having problems with:

Skype Video Calls
    or
    Springflash for SBSettings

Skype recognizes people with a little video icon next to people's names who you can video chat with, but when you go to their profile, the button to initiate a video call is absent, there is a space for it, but it's not there. Text and call buttons are there. Yes, both of my cameras work in FaceTime and camera, so the camera isn't ****** up. I have tried uninstalling, rebooting and reinstalling.

Springflash for SBSettings doesn't work at all, have tried reinstalling and it still doesn't.

Anyone else have these issues?

PS I did a clean install and set up as a new phone to cut down on some clutter
    Last edited by goodluck4287; 2011-02-09 at 09:29 AM.
    2011-02-09 09:17 AM
    Coulnd't find anything on google, but, anyone having problem accessing pictures? I upgraded my phone 4 4.1 to 4.2.1 and did a backup on it. I can't access my picture or my camera. It will load and say "updating library" then crashes.
    2011-02-09 09:26 AM
    I might start a couple threads about these, but this one seems appropriate.

Are others here who have used GP on an iPhone 4 with 4.2.1 having problems with:

Skype Video Calls
    or
    Springflash for SBSettings

Skype recognizes people with a little video icon next to people's names who you can video chat with, but when you go to their profile, the button to initiate a video call is absent, there is a space for it, but it's not there. Text and call buttons are there. Yes, both of my cameras work in FaceTime and camera, so the camera isn't ****** up. I have tried uninstalling, rebooting and reinstalling.

Springflash for SBSettings doesn't work at all, have tried reinstalling and it still doesn't.

Anyone else have these issues?

PS I did a clean install and set up as a new phone to cut down on some clutter
    normal Springflash for me works. As for Skype, haven't tried it.

Every single theme I've downloaded so far still does not work on my iPhone. It leaves many stock apps uncustomized. Here's a list of the themes:

Buuf
    Glossica
    iFlat
    Suave
    i2HD
    Classica 3
    Mojo 2
    Avant
    Last edited by NinetyFour; 2011-02-13 at 08:53 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

2011-02-13 08:53 AM
    Ever since I upgraded to 4.2.1 (3GS new bootrom) and JB with GP I haven't been able to place my camera roll app in a folder using categories. Not sure if it's an issue with categories, or a bug related to GP. Also my phone crashes into safe mode anywhere from 5-10 times a day. VERY frustrating. This is where I miss ROCK because it showed you WHY your phone just crashed.
    2011-02-17 07:33 PM
    My solution for skype video, iBooks not working, apps not downloading properly and LED not working from any third party apps was to re-jailbreak with pwnagetool. Everything works fine now with my iPhone 4 on 4.2.1. For the love of all that's good, if you unlock, leave an official sim in, don't let pwnagetool hacktivate, and then just use SAM to fix push and certs.

While GP was nice, it seemed to cause iOS framework issues and more that I can't understand. So just pwn it.
    2011-02-17 07:40 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD