Hi Y'all,
    I had a nice iPhone 3GS working on AT&T which, after leaving the USA, I tried to unlock. I tried a lot of things, a lot of tools but without managing to have the iPhone working.
    Right now, I get the message "the SIM card inserted in this iphone does not apear to be supported. Only compatible SIM cards from a supported carrier may be used to activate the iPhone. Please insert the SIM card with your iPhone or visit a supported carrier's store to receive a replacement SIM card" and I have a "no Service" message instead of "bars" (this with the original AT&T sim card, though the contract got cancelled).
    When I first started to manipulate my iPhone 3GS, I had (I think) iOS 4.2.1 and a 5.14.02 baseband. I tried 1st to upgrade the baseband to the iPad baseband, I think I managed it (got to see the bars) but then got the "SIM card..." error.
    And from then I lost patience & reason, and tried so many things (without writing down anything) that I can't remember to what iOS version my iPhone has been restored to.

So, if one of you likes the challenge & think my iPhone 3GS can be resuscitated (that way I can get rid of my BlackBerry), do reply / email me.

Thanks!

David
    2011-05-12 09:18 AM
    First off, are u still outside the usa? And do u NEED it unlocked?
    2011-05-12 11:12 AM
    yes, i am still (unfortunately) outside the USA. i'd like to have it unlocked but if "saving" it meant having it without modem (ipod functionalities), i could liv with it
    2011-05-12 11:39 AM
    Right ok thats kool... What state is it in now? U on the ipad baseband, and its "hacktivated" yeah? And a really silly question, bu i take it u have installed ultrasn0w from cydia?
    2011-05-12 11:52 AM
    no, it is worth than that. i did try to upgrade the baseband to the ipad version but i never managed to go past the Sim issue . i tried to hacktivate it and to install cydia but no idea if it ever worked i am stuck with the "connect to itunes" screen on the iphone and get the "sim not supported" message after connecting on itunes
    2011-05-12 11:59 AM
    Right ok then. U need to use redsn0w... Restore ur phone to the 4.3.3 firmware (official - not custom) open up the latest edition of Redsn0w. Search ur computer for the 4.3.3 firmware, answer the next box that pops up accordingly... Then click next, and check the box "install custom bundle" and make sure "deactivate" is NOT checked... Click next, and follow the on screen instructions... When ur iphone reboots, u should go straight to ur home screen, bypassing the connect to itunes screen... Now, connect up to ur wifi, open cydia, let it do its thing... Then reopen cydia, and search for Ultrasn0w... Install that, and then let that do its thing, i think the instructions for ultrasn0w are in the description on cydia... Let me know if u have any problems matey!
    2011-05-12 12:59 PM
    when I tried to restore the iPhone with the official firmware, I get the following error message: "the iPhone could not be restored. This device is not eligible for the requested build."

thanks for your help!
    2011-05-12 04:38 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD