For anyone who has 1.59 BB: STAY AT 4.0.X!!!! Yes it is possible to upgrade and preserve your baseband, but at the cost of MMS. It will not work no matter what you do. SIM card pop does not work. Im on ATT, bought my iphone4 in jul the day they came out. Heres a summary of what happened:

-jailbroke stock 4.0 fw with jailbreakme.com with most excellent results
    -happy for 9 months
    -installed ultrasn0w unlock whilst abroad
    -installed a bunch of mobsub apps
    -noticed battery drain even after removing mobsub apps and decided to restore, figured i would try 4.3.3 to check it out
    -all SHSH blobs backed up except for 4.0
    -upgraded 4.0 -> 4.3.3 using snowbreeze custom ipsw to preserve baseband
    -no mms/1 signal bar
    -popped sim card multiple times/resprang/rebooted - mms still broke
    -installed ultrasn0w to fix signal bars
    -popped sim/resprang/rebooted still no MMS
    -got scared, downgraded to 4.2.1 w/ tinyumbrella to preserve BB
    -jailbroke with greenp0ison
    -MMS still didnt work, tried all aforementioned "fixes"
    -tried to go back to my beloved 4.0 but then realized i didnt have the shsh
    -downgraded to 4.0.1 using tinyumbrella
    -jailbroke w/ jailbreakme.com
    -mms WORKS!
    2011-05-17 09:18 AM
    Yeah I also preserved my baseband and am on 4.3.2 but I can use mms here and there. Sometimes it takes a lot of work though. Occasionally I would have to reset my network settings at least twice or another fix was to install benm's custom APN settings but it would later stop working again. Does anyone else have this issue? I didn't realize it was a issue with older basebands
    2011-05-17 10:49 AM
    You guys shouldn't be having problems even mms works on 1.59/4.3.3 on tmobile. If you need custom apn settings or think your are messed up go the link below on your iPhone and hit custom apn and select your carrier, install it. I'd reboot and try mms again.

http://unlockit.co.nz
    2011-05-17 11:05 AM
    Yeah I've done that about 30 times and it'll work for a day or two. I just thought this was a normal iPhone thing cause me, my wife and my brother all have this issue and the only thing we all have in common is a 1.59 baseband and a firmware >4.0
    2011-05-17 06:10 PM
    You are on an iPhone plan right? If not that may be your problem. You need a different apn if your on att but not there iPhone plan.
    2011-05-18 05:08 AM
    ok i got remotivated and went at it again. This time upgraded 4.0.1 > 4.3.3 via tiny umbrella preserving BB. Used for 8 hours and noticed great battery life and functional MMS and VVM. Then jailbroke with redsn0w rc 16 and everything worked amazing! MMS works, didnt even have to pop sim card. And the battery drain should now be fixed w/ rc 16. Ill let you know on that tomorrow. The culprit: SNOWBREEZE

now im not touching ultrasn0w until i am traveling again and am just going to live with the single signal bar. It really cant be that hard to release a standalone signal bar fix for AT&T users, someone should sack up.

UPDATE: AHHHH installed some cydia apps that required a reboot and my mms is broke again. And by broke i mean i can receive just not send. sim card pop didnt work, toggling data didnt work, reset network settings didnt work, called ATT and had them remove and re-add the messaging plan, installed ultrasn0w, nothing. And i can confirm the battery drain is now back as i just watched it drop 3% in 10 mins just uninstalling cydia apps (before installing ultrasn0w). So pass that little tidbit onto the higher echelons i guess... definitely a problem with the jailbreak, specifically the untethered part, as everything is good up until reboot. I suppose for now i can just treat it as tethered jailbreak and rejailbreak every time i have to reboot my phone to get mms sending abilities back.

One more thing: is there a way to download jailbreakme 1.0? or whatever version it was in july of 2010? That was the most stable mofo ever on 4.0 until i started tinkering with ultrasn0w.

Does ultrasn0w modify anything on the actual baseband? It seems my battery drain and MMS issues were resolved only after restoring to stock 4.0.1 firmware.

i cant be the only person with this issue. Are there other threads im missing? Anything else i should try? I guess thats why redsn0w is RC16 and not stable =). Oh what up Textfree w/ voice + phupp?? See you in T-1 year once my contracts up...
    Last edited by chune; 2011-05-19 at 03:51 AM.
    2011-05-19 12:48 AM
    ok i got remotivated and went at it again. This time upgraded 4.0.1 > 4.3.3 via tiny umbrella preserving BB. Used for 8 hours and noticed great battery life and functional MMS and VVM. Then jailbroke with redsn0w rc 16 and everything worked amazing! MMS works, didnt even have to pop sim card. And the battery drain should now be fixed w/ rc 16. Ill let you know on that tomorrow. The culprit: SNOWBREEZE

now im not touching ultrasn0w until i am traveling again and am just going to live with the single signal bar. It really cant be that hard to release a standalone signal bar fix for AT&T users, someone should sack up.

AHHHH installed some cydia apps that required a reboot and my mms is gone. sim card pop didnt work, toggling data didnt work, reset network settings didnt work, trying APN now...
    I have many similar issues. (was on 4.0.1 w/jailbreakme.com) I just did JB to 4.3.3 using sn0wbreeze, then ultrasnow. then restore all apps, etc using pkgbackup. finally got everything working, but notice that the battery now drains 2X faster than before. any suggestions.
    2011-05-19 03:21 AM
    I have many similar issues. (was on 4.0.1 w/jailbreakme.com) I just did JB to 4.3.3 using sn0wbreeze, then ultrasnow. then restore all apps, etc using pkgbackup. finally got everything working, but notice that the battery now drains 2X faster than before. any suggestions.
    you on att i take it? does your mms sending work?

UPDATE: just rejailbroke with redsn0w not installing cydia. STILL no mms. weak. Guess im going back to 4.0.1 land until this gets fixed.
    Last edited by chune; 2011-05-19 at 04:33 AM.
    2011-05-19 04:15 AM
    you on att i take it? does your mms sending work?

UPDATE: just rejailbroke with redsn0w not installing cydia. STILL no mms. weak. Guess im going back to 4.0.1 land until this gets fixed.
    yes, on at&t. i just tried MMS, and wont send photo. (i usually use whatsapp, so had not tried until now). just tried MMS again (which assume means messaging with photo), and it worked.
    2011-05-19 04:36 AM
    I'm on 01.59.00 bb on 4.3.3 on ATT. JB'd with Pwnagetool and MMS is working fine for me. After I JB I had the 1 bar bug and I had to install ultrasnow. MMS was broken at first I removed and reinserted my sim card and everything is fine now. Been ok for a whole week now.

Edit: Oh yeah I did have the battery drain issue but I rejailbroke with the 4.3.3.1 and now my battery is great.
    Last edited by doctapeppa; 2011-05-19 at 05:46 AM.
    2011-05-19 05:43 AM
    I'm on 01.59.00 bb on 4.3.3 on ATT. JB'd with Pwnagetool and MMS is working fine for me. After I JB I had the 1 bar bug and I had to install ultrasnow. MMS was broken at first I removed and reinserted my sim card and everything is fine now. Been ok for a whole week now.

Edit: Oh yeah I did have the battery drain issue but I rejailbroke with the 4.3.3.1 and now my battery is great.
    AHHHH thaaank you for the pwnage tool tip! i sat through 3 hours of painstaking VMware snowleopard cpu cycles to JB my stock 4.3.3 fw (DONT CHECK ACTIVATE), copied it to my PC, entered pwnd dfu mode with redsn0w rc16, restored custom ipsw w/ TU running just in case aaaaaand: no service. waited a bit, reset network settings, hard reset, nothing. Just the 1 signal bar but NO at&t logo. Disabled wifi, tried 3g, nothin. Popped sim card, nothin. Bout to give up then i figured id try ultrasn0w- OHHH what up everythings fixed! Clicked the reboot button after installing ultrasn0w but it only resprings so i did a slide to power off, sent an mms, rebooted, sent many more, installed cydia apps, rebooted, sent many more! Workin great so far!

Couple of funny things: I didnt get ANY errors in itunes going from redsn0w jailbroken 4.3.3 to pwnage tool jailbroken 4.3.3 whilst preserving baseband. Maybe this is normal, but it gave me a slight panic but my BB was still there. The main problem (i know ive had a few theories now but just guessing): When i jailbroke 4.3.3 or installed custom 4.3.3 fw with sn0wbreeze, the iphone would always have a prompt that said "iphone activated" So im thinking those other JB programs for PC activate your phone even if you uncheck it which leads to all the errors. Pwnage tool actually DOESNT activate your phone leaving it up to ATT or ultrasn0w or something... idk, im just happy it works. Maybe my whole issue was why the dev team told ultrasn0w unlockers to avoid redsn0w.
    Last edited by chune; 2011-05-21 at 10:36 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    2011-05-19 08:04 AM
    sooooooo i started adding **** slowly and checking MMS after everything. MMS "broke" again after i imported old SMS.db and Parts folder. Dont know if it was corrupt or a permissions issue, but i just deleted the parts folder through issh and it works fine now. SORRY GUYS
    2011-05-23 05:20 PM
    after using a fully functional 4.3.3 install on my 1.59 baseband for 2 weeks, i have decided to revert back to 4.0.1 for the following reasons:
    MMS vibrates in my EAR when im on the phone?? F that noise.
    real/perceived battery drain. or just an overall distrust of apple.
    4.3.3 just seemed alot more buggy
    and i did loose cellular data twice and had to reset network settings.
    2011-05-27 04:10 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD