User Tag List

I'm new to Jailbreaking and just want to make sure I get this straight first.

My only goal is to JB my 3G so I can use iPhone Explorer and get into the var/Mobile/Library/SMS folder so I can paste my Text Messages into my phone that I have saved on my PC from my other iPhone which is a 3GS on the newest version 4.3.3.

Then unjailbreak? so that I can make a backup that I can later use to sucessfully restore whenever I purchase a new iPhone so I keep everything in tact. I may keep it JB for a while to play around, but eventually I want to be able to make a clean restore to my new iPhone so I can keep all of my contacts/text messages etc.

This 3G is currently:
    Version: 4.2.1(8C148)
    Modem FW: 05.15.04

To my understanding, I need to:
    1. Download stock 4.2.1 ipsw and Redsn0w 0.9.6rc8 - (iTunes is updated)
    2. Open iTunes, hold shift and click restore. Browse to the ipsw I downloaded
    3. When finished, open Redsn0w
    4. Browse to 4.2.1 in redsn0w
    5. Select Cydia and follow on-screen prompts to DFU mode
    6. After redsn0w finishes I should be able to access my springboard.
    7. Then I can use iPhone Exlporer to make my changes to the phones files.

Then how do I un-Jailbreak the phone so that I can make a legitamate backup for the next iPhone that I get which will not be Jailbroke obviously.

Also, I read on another post something about doing these steps after the phone is JB. Is this necessary?

7. Run Redsn0w and boot tethered only.
    8. Open Cydia and let it reorganize.
    9. Open Cydia again and at least update essentials
    10. If phone reboots, run redsn0w to boot tethered again.

Thanks for the help!
    2011-05-18 07:07 PM
    I'll you will have to do is simply hit restore in iTunes to get unjailbroken
    2011-05-18 08:08 PM
    The boot tethered steps aren't necessary. The wording in those steps look oddly like something I would say lol.

Your steps for jailbreaking are correct, however if you are already on 4.2.1, you don't need to do steps 1 and 2. Just start at 3.

Anyhow, you can "unjailbreak" your phone with a restore, but you can't possibly "unjailbreak" it and create a backup. You would end up having to create the back up before you restore it/unjailbreak it which defeats the purpose of your question, which is how to create a back up without it being jailbroken (right?).

You can still create a backup in iTunes as your phone is jailbroken, but it won't affect anything really if you decide to restore and then use the backup. It won't rejailbreak your phone or anything if you use the backup.
    2011-05-18 08:41 PM
    Thanks,

You guys answered perfectly for me.

And yes, I think I did grab that from one of your posts i.Annie

I just saw that in another related post, but I think he was trying to accomplish more than what I need. I just wanted to be safe.

This will get me what I need and I may just keep it jailbroken for a while and check it out as I've never had any experience with it.

The only other thing I wish I could accomplish might be the slowness of the 3G. I know it's because of hardware, but is there anything I might be able to do to improve the performance by jailbreaking?

Thanks again for the help! this is a great and very helpful community!
    2011-05-18 10:07 PM
    If the speed on iOS 4 is too much lag for you, take the device to 3.1.3. You may not be able to use some apps but the performance is much much better. Jailbreaking itself won't improve the performance of the device though, it won't affect it in good or bad ways in terms of speed/lag; but I highly recommend to bring it back to 3.1.3.
    2011-05-18 10:20 PM
    OK,
    thanks again.

I'll take a look at some of the apps I use the most and see if they will be affected by 3.1.3
    I guess the best way to find out is to just try it lol.

Let the experiments begin! Oh man, I may have found a new hobby
    2011-05-18 10:31 PM
    Just a question, do you have multitasking and wallpaper enabled on your iPhone 3G right now?
    2011-05-18 10:32 PM
    Oh yeah, I do remember reading that you lose those if downgrading to 3.1.3 if this is why your asking.

Wallpaper, I'm not worried about. Multitasking is certainly something I use though. I am actually just firing this old 3G up again and haven't used it in a while. I am stepping down from my broken 3GS which of course I used multitasking on often.

I don't even see an option for mutitasking in the settings to enable/disable.
    2011-05-18 11:06 PM
    No I'm asking because if you disable it, your phone will not experience that lag as badly as it is if it is enabled. Then you don't have to worry about not being able to use iOS 4 apps. You can disable it if you restore and rejb and choose to disable the options. You can also do it in Cydia, there are a few tweaks out there that will do it. But it's probably best just to do a restore to clear the device off and start over with a clean slate without multitasking and wallpaper enabled in the first place.

A good alternative to multitasking is to use Backgrounder and multifl0w.
    2011-05-18 11:10 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD