My friend has a 3gs 16gb that is on ver 4.0.2 and baseband 05.13.04 though AT&T. Can this ver/baseband be jailbroken and is it unlockable? Best recommended method?
    2011-05-19 04:29 PM
    Yes, you can jailbreak with limera1n and unlock with ultrasnow.

Dont update it to regular 4.1 or higher if you want to keep that unlockable baseband.
    2011-05-19 04:52 PM
    Excellent!

Can you tell me what the latest base band is that can be unlocked and what the latest one is that cannot be unlocked? I was under the assumption that you can go all the way up to 4.3.3 though itunes and then unlock and jailbreak whatever base band it's on after the update on a 3GS?

What is the best way for my friend to erase his phone so that it is in factory status and preserves the version/baseband before I acquire it from him? Anything else I need from him in order to setup the phone on itunes on my PC? Settings > General > Reset > Erase all Content and Settings? Does that bring the ver/baseband back to whatever it was when he purchased it new?

I'll be buying that phone from my friend and doing the unlock/jailbreak. I need to transfer the text messages, contacts, as well as the apps that were acquired through Cydia from my current jailbroken 3G 16GB ver3.1.2 / 05.11.07 baseband to the new 3gs 16gb ver4.0.2 / 05.13.04 baseband that I plan to unlock and jailbreak. Is there a step by step process that contains links to all the necessary tools to do this? The only experience I have under my belt is doing the original jailbreak on the 3G.

Sorry for the novice questions. I'm off to check out some of the write-ups to get a better understanding.
    Last edited by dpapag; 2011-05-19 at 07:47 PM.
    2011-05-19 07:38 PM
    Just check the can I unlock link in my signature.

Basically that baseband you have is the last one that can be unlocked. If you want to go higher than 4.0.2 then you will need to restore to a custom 4.3.3 firmware.
    2011-05-19 08:18 PM
    Reading the tutorials now. Thanks again!
    2011-05-19 08:22 PM
    Ok, got both phones unlocked and jail broken. New phone contains almost all the apps from the old phone, except for a few that were jailbroken apps. There are a few cydia apps that I would like to transfer over from the one phone to the other.

EDIT: Found the fix. Everything is up and running and works great!
    Last edited by dpapag; 2011-05-26 at 04:20 AM.
    2011-05-26 02:51 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD