Hi just wandering how best to upgrade my IPhone 3gs I'm currently on

I have it jailbroken already but my apps seem to close and they wont allow me to open them this all happened after updating cydia, which is why i thought i would upgrade my phone then jailbreak it again but I'm unsure of the best ways to do this

I was hoping to use jailbreak me but it says don't update past 4.0.1 which is not a problem but after hrs of searching i cant find the firmware 4.0.1 as i presume updating with itunes will update to the latest which i wouldn't then be able to jailbreak

any advice please???

thanks
    2011-05-20 08:53 PM
    Firstly you shouldn't use 4.0.x on iPhone 3G, if anything you should use 4.1 or 4.2.1. Although 3.1.3 is probably best for the phone in general.

Of course jailbreakme doesn't work on 4.0.1 or higher, but you really really shouldn't use that firmware.

If you decide on what firmware you want to restore to, let me know and I can help you.
    2011-05-20 09:01 PM
    Hi thanks for the swift reply......you can tell im a fool when it comes to this as i bought the iphone already jailbroken

Ok from your advice i will stick to the 3.1.3 firmware

do you think i should restore my phone then use jailbreak me so its completely fresh install?

thanks
    2011-05-20 09:05 PM
    Yep. Whenever there are problems with a device, I like to restore to a fresh clean stock firmware. Then jailbreak after. It's very simple.

Go download a stock 3.1.3 ipsw (Scroll up, click Downloads > Firmware) for your iPhone 3G

All you have to do now open iTunes, hold shift and click restore. Browse to your 3.1.3 ipsw, and let iTunes restore your phone. Now if you have things you want backed up, do so manually.

For contacts, the info tab in iTunes, select your backup option there. For Apps, right-click device in iTunes and select "transfer purchases." For photos/videos, be sure to back those up manually. In Windows, My Computer > click your device, you'll find your photos in there, move them all to your computer. Note: your photos and videos can be synced back into your phone, but it won't be able to be deleted from your phone unless you sync them out.

You should write a list of your jailbreak installations if you'd like to re-download the same things after you restore and rejailbreak. I don't trust backup apps for jailbreak packages, but that's just me.

When you do your restore, just make sure after you don't restore from a back up and you set up as new. Doing so will greatly reduce your risk of having the problems you're experiencing now return.
    2011-05-20 09:17 PM
    Ok thanks for your advice i will do that in a while i will report back on how i got on

thank you very much
    2011-05-20 09:26 PM
    Np, good luck.
    2011-05-20 09:55 PM
    He wrote that he has a 3GS iPhone, not a 3G. The upgrade to iOS4 wouldn't slow his phone much.

Are you still going to stay on iOS3 (3.1.3 firmware)?
    If I helped you in any way, please click on the button!
    2011-05-20 10:28 PM
    Hm. Well thanks for pointing that out. That "s" is so hard to see

You can't restore to 3.1.3 with what I wrote out unless SHSHs are saved for the device. 4.3.3 is likely to be the firmware you'll want to go to then. Via custom firmware if an unlock is necessary. If no unlock is necessary, a straight upgrade and jb with redsn0w will do.
    2011-05-20 10:33 PM
    Hi Jcbzr

well i have been trying to restore it with the 3.1.3 firmware but im getting an error

what would you advise? something slightly different? i was hoping for an upgrade in firmware but im not to worried just want to get it sorted now as its taking me hrs lol

thanks for the reply
    2011-05-20 10:33 PM
    Yeah sorry, that was my mistake. You need SHSHs for 3.1.3. Did you want to restore to 4.3.3? It'll be fine with an iPhone 3GS.
    2011-05-20 10:35 PM
    Hi Jcbzr

well i have been trying to restore it with the 3.1.3 firmware but im getting an error

what would you advise? something slightly different? i was hoping for an upgrade in firmware but im not to worried just want to get it sorted now as its taking me hrs lol

thanks for the reply
    Without the proper SHSHs saved, you will not be able to downgrade.

Example) I can downgrade down to 4.1 because that was when I first jailbroke my 3GS.

Anyways, as iAnnie posted, unless you have the SHSHs, upgrade to the latest firmware and jailbreak from there on in.
    2011-05-20 10:38 PM
    NP at all.....so its the same process but i need to download and install the firmware 4.3.3? from the download section above

then just jailbreak it with redsn0w (i hope thats not to hard lol)
    2011-05-20 10:39 PM
    NP at all.....so its the same process but i need to download and install the firmware 4.3.3? from the download section above

then just jailbreak it with redsn0w (i hope thats not to hard lol)
    Yes, download 4.3.3 firmware and redsn0w. Open the program and it will guide you through, the instructions are K.I.S.S.
    2011-05-20 10:41 PM
    SHSHs can be saved only when the current firmware version is signed. If SHSHs were not saved while whatever firmware you're looking to restore to then it's too late to get them. You should check to see if you have them saved if you've jailbroken the device before.

However, I think you can safely get to 4.3.3 and be ok. Sn0wbreeze for Windows or PwnageTool for Mac is what you want to download. And a stock 4.3.3 firmware.
    2011-05-20 10:41 PM
    Iphone is restored and now running firmware 4.3.3

Im just a little confused as this ModMyi Forums - Downloads - redsn0w 0.7.2 - Windows says it does nothing for the iphone 3gs

am i looking at the wrong thing?
    2011-05-20 11:00 PM
    Download the most recent version to jailbreak firmware 4.3.3 Dev-Team Blog

With this you can create a custom firmware to restore to!

I hope you preserve your baseband if it's an unlockable baseband!
    2011-05-20 11:05 PM
    Holy **** i hope i aint messed it up as i have no idea what you mean where you say "I hope you preserve your baseband if it's an unlockable baseband!"

hmmmm lol
    2011-05-20 11:11 PM
    Holy **** i hope i aint messed it up as i have no idea what you mean where you say "I hope you preserve your baseband if it's an unlockable baseband!"

hmmmm lol
    Alright, here's a crash course:

Your baseband is essentially what will determine whether your iPhone is unlockable via software unlock or not.

The issue happens when you decide to update your software. If you previously had an unlockable baseband but you happened to update without using a custom firmware then you are stuck and cannot downgrade to an unlockable baseband (you can downgrade firmware but that will not alter your baseband version).

When you want to preserve a baseband you can make your own firmware (or download one) that will update everything except your baseband, hence you will keep your software unlock.

I hope this helped!
    2011-05-21 03:45 AM
    Thanks all everything is back up and running as it was :-)

very happy you have been very helpful
    Last edited by waller; 2011-05-21 at 02:07 PM.
    2011-05-21 01:16 PM
    It was my pleasure, feel free to ask if you need any further help!
    2011-05-23 06:21 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD