User Tag List

So I bought this 16GB 3gs iPhone off someone from craigslist for $100 knowning that it was stuck on the boot screen with the Apple logo. I've had an HTC EVO since launch day and it's all rooted and all that crap, custom rom and everything - so I thought oh ill be able to fix this no problem. Well I've done some research and I can't get it to boot at all. Tried restoring through iTunes and its gets to the end and fails. It give error code 1015. I tried to do the DFU mode and install 4.0.1 firmware. and same thing happens. I have no idea what else to do. Am I missing something?? I came across this site hoping someone could shed some light for me. I'm completely stumped. I'm pretty computer literate so I know what I'm doing and everything. I'm just really hoping this sucker isn't for real bricked beyond fixing. Please anyone willing to point me in the right direction I would appreciate it big time! Thank you in advance and thank you for reading my post.
    2011-05-20 08:10 PM
    After getting 1015 error use tiny umbrella to exit recovery.

You can see the "error 1015" link in my signature for more detailed options.
    2011-05-20 08:27 PM
    4.2.1 and up, TinyUmbrella's Fix Recovery should kick it out after error 1015.

4.1 and below, TinyUmbrella's Exit Recovery will kick it out after error 1015.

Either way, get TinyUmbrella.
    2011-05-20 09:21 PM
    I'm real confused on this stuff. I see so many different way to get it out of boot loop, but none work...I really appreciate you guys writing back so soon, but I have no idea what firmware version that was on there, so I dont even know where to begin with your guide. This is my first iPhone and I caught onto rooting android and everything real fast, but this is all confusing. is there a step by step process anywhere for those that don't know what firmware they were running?
    2011-05-21 12:59 AM
    Sorry to sound like a broken record, but TinyUmbrella will tell you (under most circumstances) what version of iOS your device is running (when connected to your computer).

The Firmware Umbrella - TinyUmbrella (grab TU from here) and you should be off and running shortly.
    2011-05-21 07:25 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD