Hi,

My backlight on iPhone 3G 3.1.3 has stopped working after replacing a screen.

I've had some hardware issues in getting flex cable #3 to sit properly (in a slightly cracked holder on the board - the cable still slots in, but is being held in place with some adhesive), but the backlight is unconnected to this cable #3 anyway so I'm confused.

The other two #1 and #2 cables sit perfectly fine, and the LCD and touch screen are working fine, just no backlight. Considering the 3 cables, with the ones related to LCD and touch screen posing no issues, and the slightly damaged #3 holder, it suggests a hardware problem, but after replacing the screen the backlight did work for about a day, before it stopped... so I don't understand how it could be hardware.

If I restore the iPhone, is there a chance this may solve the issue?

If I do (the iPhone is jailbroken and unlocked, will I still be able to unlock and jailbreak the phone without having to update 3.1.3?

I don't fancy going up to 4.0 as I've head it slows down a 3G significantly.

Will updating via iTunes mean I lose my jailbreak/unlock, and if I do, will it be easy to get the jailbreak and unlock back again easily?

Also is there any effect on baseband upgrading?

Ideally, I just want to reset the settings on the iPhone to see if this will solve the backlight issue, otherwise I'm happy with the firmware currently being used...

Opinions would be seriously helpful!

Thanks!

EDIT: I'm pretty certain restoring updating etc via iTunes WILL lose my JB and unlock from reading elsewhere, but if anyone has any work arounds to this issue I've not found yet, that'd be real helpful. I have spent pretty much all day reading and googling to figure out this problem, so it aint for a lack of effort!

EDIT 2: I found this thread: http://www.everythingicafe.com/forum...ght-out.34192/

This dude seems to have had a similar cause for the backlight issue. Mine stopped working after plugging it into my PC, then when I unplugged it the light went out. I'm still apprehensive, as the last time I JB and unlocked the iPhone (early 2010), it was quite long winded, and I'm not sure if I fancy going through it, but worth a shot??
    Last edited by p1981; 2011-06-08 at 08:21 PM.
    2011-06-08 07:35 PM
    It sounds like a hardware issue, I've never seen software cause a backlight failure. But I could be wrong

iPhone 3G is very simple, no need to confuse yourself. Restore to stock 3.1.3, jailbreak as normal with redsn0w 0.9.4 and a 3.1.2 ipsw. Unlock with Ultrasn0w in Cydia as usual. No SHSHs needed for 3.1.3 on the iPhone 3G. Simple shift+restore to stock 3.1.3 fw will do the trick and maintain your unlockability.

If the restore doesn't fix the issue, try what you found. I don't like doing things like that in fear of bricking the phone entirely, but that's jsut me. It's up to you. Or you could just replace the LCD if you've got some extra cash to spend it on
    2011-06-16 06:40 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD