Hi,

I'm very sorry for posting a 'unlock JB thread' but I've been searching for the answer for nearly 4 days, so I'm going a bit mental going round in circles, and I've read the sticky guides too but I'm not sure whether it applies to my particular situation.

Basically, I have an iPhone 3g.

The essential question is: If I restore through iTunes to the latest version 4.2, will I still be able to jailbreak and unlock?

I've found some places that say yes you can assuming you're not on a particular baseband (05.14.01 I believe?), but I've also found some places saying straight up it cannot be done.

I'm stuck on the USB>iTunes boot screen, so I can't check the baseband and verify if I'll be ok or not.

From the Jailbreak guide (pdf in sticky), it says 4.2.1 can be JB through snowbreeze, and unlocked only if baseband is preserved... I don't have a power button either, meaning I can't go into DFU. I'm in recovery mode in iTunes at the moment, and my phone is quite temperamental too so not sure how long for.

Essentially If I do the following, will I be ok?

1) I'm now connected to iTunes in recovery mode.
    2) download and shift restore a non baseband updating firmware for 4.2.1 in iTunes
    3) install and use sn0wbreeze to JB
    4) use an unlock software (possibly ultrasn0w from cydia?)

I'm more concerned about unlocking that having jailbreak features, but I guess you need JB to unlock so bit of a catch 22.

I'm finding this SOOOO confusing! Thanks a lot people!
    2011-06-09 11:05 PM
    Unless you get the power button issue resolved you can not jailbreak nor unlock. It just cannot be done.
    2011-06-09 11:06 PM
    Hey thanks for such a quick reply.

Once i do repair it (which will be in the next few weeks once ive got some $ together), will i then be ok to JB/unlock if i update the iPhone currently through iTunes?
    Cheers
    2011-06-09 11:11 PM
    Yes you should be able to use redsn0w to jailbreak and install the iPad baseband therefore being able to install ultrasn0w and unlock. If you would like when you get the repair done you can either come back to this thread or pm me. (private message)
    2011-06-09 11:14 PM
    Hey doing it now, fingers crossed! Thanks for the offer, I may just take you up on that when the time comes!

Thanks again.
    2011-06-09 11:25 PM
    No problem
    2011-06-09 11:25 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD