Hi all,

Have Googled extensively for a solution to this but found nothing, so hoping someone on here might be able to help me out.

I'm looking to use my iPhone 4 as a mobile storage device for moving files around.

I've Jailbroken it (running iOS 4.3.3) and installed netatalk from Cydia. I've changed the default passwords for the root and 'mobile' users and can connect from the Mac OS X finder by supplying either set of credentials.

What I'd like is to have one folder which is publicly readable / writable without having to supply credentials. That way I can tell other people - "connect to my iPhone at <whateverIP>/shared and grab the file".

I know this is possible on OS X and Linux, and I thought that CHMODing a folder to 777 might do it, but that doesn't seem to do the trick.

Does anyone have any inkling as to whether this might be possible on iOS?

Any help greatly appreciated...
    2011-06-13 11:50 PM
    Hi all,

Have Googled extensively for a solution to this but found nothing, so hoping someone on here might be able to help me out.

I'm looking to use my iPhone 4 as a mobile storage device for moving files around.

I've Jailbroken it (running iOS 4.3.3) and installed netatalk from Cydia. I've changed the default passwords for the root and 'mobile' users and can connect from the Mac OS X finder by supplying either set of credentials.

What I'd like is to have one folder which is publicly readable / writable without having to supply credentials. That way I can tell other people - "connect to my iPhone at <whateverIP>/shared and grab the file".

I know this is possible on OS X and Linux, and I thought that CHMODing a folder to 777 might do it, but that doesn't seem to do the trick.

Does anyone have any inkling as to whether this might be possible on iOS?

Any help greatly appreciated...
    Jailbreaking is nice but in this case you don't need to. There are apps to do this. Two that come to mind are Air Sharing and WiFi HD. There are probably others.
    2011-08-14 07:48 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD